Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Mercury old Custom convertible found.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lstwsh, Apr 27, 2010.

1. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Sorry if i made anyone upset with my first post.I did not mean to use this message board to sell the car.I thought you would like to see pics of an old Custom.The first question i see whenever anyone post a find seams to be is it for sale.Here is a pic of before the mods.I am not sure when it was taken.Enjoy the pics and when i get back i will talk to her to see if she wants it put on the classifieds.[​IMG]

2. 61TBird

61TBird

It has a LOT of potential.
    I just would hate to see it go to someone that hacks it up or even worse....
    Hopefully,it ends up with someone that can give it the love it needs.

3. word to that... I dig this car.

4. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

My Brother will get better shots of the car when he gets back from Knoxville
    He said over all,the car is solid
    I asked about the Doors, and he said they're mint shape
    The owner found the trunk key
    so we'll have pictures later
    Neat old Custom
    I like it
    One of a kind

5. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

I'm with ya on that one!

6. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Man that is ugly!!!!

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

It is what it is! One thing the world doesn't need now is another "Cliche Custom"! Who, other than a total poser, would buy something like this only to convert it into " one jus' like Sam built", or "one 'jus like Jimmy built" etc.

Good luck with the sale.

" Time for the "Me Too- Croud" to go back to their mini-trucks & Malibus"

8. williebill

williebill

Agree 100%..

Not going to argue about how pretty it is,but you guys that just don't get it should turn off your computers and go paint your bumpers,or something else equally constructive

9. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Dosn't look like a Merc or Ford, maybe a few inches of the top and a better looking grill will give this duckling some attitude.

10. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

LMAO!!!!!
    That's a Good'n

11. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

Here's a picture of "Vert1940" car.........1940 Merc convert
    He went with my little brother to look at the car
    Here's what's possible...............

[​IMG]

12. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

This car has serious potential to be anything from a resto back to it's original custom to a rework into different styling. I'd have it in a heartbeat. It's strange how some car people can't see that. If your are asking for votes I'd say find a Merc grill and rework the headlights. Let's not forget that the 37 Ford was for many decades considered Henry's ugly duckling.

13. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

The car is a survivor...that fact alone makes it cool....
    There are so many "cookie cutter" and "me too" kustoms around already,,it's kinda refreshing to see something a little different...So much potential there,,so many possibilities.......just requires a little "outside the box" thinking, , ,

14. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

What amazes me looking at this thing, is the amount of work into it. I mean on top of all the work that everyone is debateting if it's ugly or not, did anyone notice all the body lines have either been sectioned or hammered out?!!?! The work, weather ugly or not, is amazing! Drop a 48 olds or caddy grill in it, and shorten up the tail light pods, and it would look COMPLETELY different.Also, notice it was a very "practical" custom. Even with all the customizing, it isn't chopped. It also still has all the handles, and the lights aren't frenched, making repairs easier?

15. Any who buys this car will redo the front grille and bring out the car's inner beaty, and remove it's outer groucho.

16. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

GOOD EYE!!!!

I never noticed it till I compared it with Vert1940's green car
    Lots of mods for sure...........

17. God I hope not! It is a true survivor and a time capsule of an east coast custom and for that reason it needs to be preserved as such for future generations. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, this certainly is not as ugly as a lot of the stuff that Barris turned out in the later years that is held in high esteem. In fact if it turned out this car had been done by a "Name" customizer, the people here would be all over saving it!

18. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Here are 2 1939 mercury that could be bought

Attached Files:

19. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

Geez, I would hope not....
    see cool is subjective..... with all due respect, although VERY NICE, this car is by NO means "Traditional" in anyway & to me it is the less attractive, this streetrodded Mercury would be "easier" to undo what is done, but the "survivor" custom has more .... well, history, style, you would either have to leave it or make some "period" changes to maybe pretty it up a bit.

Shit, do what ever you want w/it if you buy it, it's gonna be YOUR car, this is a board of opinions, some facts & lots of bs so this is my contribution.

Vert1940 is a street rod, NOT a traditional styled custom, Which is fine, whatever you are into.

Cheatercarl

20. so where are they and how much
    tk

21. Hey willie those cars look real familiar. Is that the place where you said has great banjo music???

22. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

The mercurys are in North Carolina. Yankee Mike took me there. Beware of Mike he will try to make you squeee like a pig.

23. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

24. skirtless33

skirtless33

I like it and probably would trade my old chopped 40 coupe for it. I little chrome and that grille would smile again.

25. Someone was asking on the photoshop thread to see this thing with some paint. It scrubs up pretty well IMHO...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  26. This thing looks sweet- it's gotta be sano.
    It's gonna need a lil' lowering. WIDE whites, sombrero's.

'53 Olds? /Dodge?/Caddy ? frosty metallic green. Restore interior in style as is. WOW.

27. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

That's Amazing...........
    I wish I had that program
    Can you do me one in GOLD?

28. Thanks, although getting the software is the easy part!

[​IMG]

29. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

30. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

The car came from the Orlando Fl Area and was probably built in the late 50's
    Was there any "Famous" customizers there?