Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Egoless Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Have you ever seen a car so simple, that it looks like a model car? Fussy details removed (not smoothed to the point of a Boyd M&M car, but just enough); Perfect simple paint on everything, so shiny and smooth it looks like plastic; no "graphics"; simple, classic wheels; bias blackwalls and it sits right... An adult hot rod, which might be an oxymoron.

Someday I hope to build one that simple...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

And that's what makes the world great I guess... Personality. I don't find any of those three interesting. To my sensibilities, the car I featured looks infinitely more clever... and sinister.

3. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

I took this pic at the Goodguys show this past weekend. You know, at first I thought this was pretty stock, but upon further examination, it's definitely been lowered just slightly, and frankly, I love the same size wheels/tires all around. I could see the aluminum headed flattie through the hood louvers. Again, simplicity...

[​IMG]

4. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

You are correct...personality and hopefully respect for both.

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

It takes more than a lowered stance and black paint to be "sinister"....yet, the black A in the opening post has "it" in SPADES.

The one's above.....errr....not so much. Stance is SO important.

6. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Less is always MORE, Great car simple as that!

Nick.

7. CamAR

CamAR
    from Ojai, CA

Personally it's just too hard to appreciate a car, and the time spent on it when it has too much "ego".

8. Tom Speed

Tom Speed

about the only thing I would change is to drop the headlight bar.....
    Another example of clean,more than the sum of its parts is AV8's roadster. Nothing outlandish, but stance, clean appearance, and purposefullness of design.

9. rodncustom

rodncustom

10. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I knew nothing of classic, no, let's say traditional styling when I stumbled upon the HAMB a few years ago. I credit Ryan and a few of the codgers (old or not) around here with showing me the gospel.

This is one more, well taught, lesson. I clearly have much to learn, for i could not have shown so much restraint, were that my car.

More, please!

11. I am not a thieving man....but I would have to steal that car!

12. GaryC.

GaryC.

If Sigmund Freud were a car guy, he might have a field day
    regarding my motivations.

Attached Files:

13. This black '29 Tudor is about the best I can remember. It's perfect. I love a good build thread but the fact that remdam just casually dropped that little bomb makes it even cooler. I'd love to do a T coupe just like it someday.

Ryan's post on TJJ is about the best I can remember as well. As close as I could ever get to explaining it was to say that "a little restraint can go a long way". Ryan put it into words perfectly though.

[​IMG]

14. jangleguy

jangleguy

Eloquent as ever Ryan and so true. I've been saying it for years (mostly to customers). If only I could practice what I preach on my own cars...

15. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

restraint and intentional simplicity are great concepts in a custom.
    and in life.

Nice read as usual. Obviously, you were inspired.

16. A lot of wisdom in those words Ryan.:cool: Sounds almost Freudian!:D

Yep, that's a hot rod to me too. At it's very core, any modification is made for speed or safety. Usually in that order! I'm not at all into these theme rods you see so much of today. That includes rat rods, fake patina, or other more blatant themes like military or halloween rods. In Ryan's terms, I think the ego has runamuck with stuff like that. They just don't belong on a hot rod. That's not to say every hot rod can't have it's own personality, but that should be a result of it's purpose first.

17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This thread has me all confused and literally going over my build with a microscope questioning my motivations for each and every little thing. I'm thinking that's a good thing.

I wonder how many people accomplish EXACTLY what they set out to do? How many people evolve or change as their car progresses and how does that reflect in the car? I set out building my car with a Hemi cause it screamed "Brutal". I ended up with a Cadillac which to me seems classier. I don't know why but it feels that way. I find myself embracing that aspect where I was wrestling with stuff before. I dunno. I'm thinking wayyy too much now..

18. froghawk

froghawk

As always, Ryan, perfectly put. How did I miss this car before? It is perfect in it's subtle simplicity!

I thought almost the same thing, seeing the photo at the top of the blog post, my first thought was "Untouchables!" Though it does say "hot rod" to me in a moonshine-runner kind of way.

I love the "hunkered down" look, the all black color scheme, and the way the trim rings seem to highlight the lack of hubcaps (or maybe just the clean, but "un-shiny" lugnuts). But my favorite part is the way it sits, with the radius of the wheels following perfectly the radius of the fenders!

19. autobilly

autobilly

"In my humble opinion and regardless of your personal style, simplicity is the absolute key to creating a car that leaves a legacy. Think about the cars of our past that still feel fresh today – Sam’s Merc, Doane’s roadster, Barney’s race car, etc… They are all different. They all have different feels, different purposes, and different motives. However, they all do share one common characteristic – simplicity due to restraint."- Ryan
    I believe that the main reason for this statement's truth, is that overdone cars are more often than not done with present trends in mind. A well thought out, "simple" and tasteful build is timeless, whereas when fashion changes an overdone build is often just ugly.
    There are exceptions to this though. Some cars are built as a kind of statement or extreme representation of style and or function. These cars are often the trend setters and will leave a legacy for that reason. For example the PPE.

20. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey RYAN...WOW thay's heavy man. can a car actualy have an EGO?...POP.

21. All good comments on a great topic, my view would be; the cars we like most are the result of someone having a strong vision and the fortitude to stay true to that through to completion. Then, as a great artist, know when to step away.
    Very hard to do for most.
    Allen

22. Koolade

Koolade
    from Illinois

I love this car. There is a T roadster with stock wheels, no fenders, and if it's lowered at all it's just barely. Hit me the same way. windsheild is cut down. I'll try to find that pic as well. I couldn't put it in words, but I'm glad you did. I'd stared at that picture many times. Now I'll do the same with this one.

23. Koolade

Koolade
    from Illinois

Here the picture I was talking about. I don't know whose it is, but it gives me the same feeling.

Attached Files:

24. kcgreaser

kcgreaser

25. kcgreaser

kcgreaser

ryan,
    Very eloquently put...so i guess what i am trying to say is that you're a pachyderm? (scratches head)

26. corsair

corsair

<dl><dt>"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." </dt><dd> - Antoine de Saint Exupery</dd></dl>

27. Fe26

Fe26

Not long after this car was first built the Architect Mies van der Rohe created the Barcelona Chair, which is a design icon. Mies van der Rohe also gave the world the phrase "Less is more". The Barcelona chair and this Model T have something in common, ego, or the self-regulation of ego, allows the creation of simple forms and lines. What is on display is line and form co-joined. This allows the idea of space to come into play. It is the space around and thru an object which allows the eye to behold the simplicity of line and form.
    There is also the concept of inner space, an awareness of self, and of ones desires, ambitions and sense of place and time, if self awareness is coupled with visual talent form and line can be created which truly reflect the mutifarious inner talents of the creator. Self awareness allows the ego to be regulated or disiplined.
    When a person with some imagination and appreciation of others talents sees an object which has been made with care and thought a dialogue begins. The viewer 'get's it', the creator of that object is communicating his or her thoughts, dreams and desires through their work. The viewer responds by acknowledging a kindred soul, and that brings 'space' back into play. The simple line exists in space, in it's physical form the unclutted line allows us to create our own interpretation of the object. In it's inner form space allows us to construct the object in our own way, this is to say, when we become involved as viewer it is we who recreate the object in our minds, we join the dots, we find the missing pieces, we use our inner logic to make sense of it, and yet it is still communicating on ever deeper levels if the creator and the viewer are evenly matched. This level of communication is usually reserved for Art, if in your minds-eye the artist has spoken to you through their work then you have just experianced a work of art.
    The best bit about our art? We get to drive it, every now and then we get to re-create it, and when we want to we create another. Ah the motor car, the most practical art on the planet.

28. GaryC.

GaryC.

"This level of communication is usually reserved for Art, if in your minds-eye the artist has spoken to you through their work then you have just experienced a work of art."

... and with this comment, Fe26 goes to the head of the class.
    Well spoken!

PS: I like the capital "A".

29. James Curl

James Curl

In the early 70's when I went to car shows and looked under the car to see what they had done for rear suspension and rear end few cars that were driven to the event had frame off restrations of the frame and bottom of the body, most were as they had left the factory with years of crud on them. Now you see cars that have mirrors under them so you can see the flawless buffed paint on the entire undercarrage, why? Ego, because I can do it myself or I can afford to have it done. If you go to a Good Guys event, just look at all of the over the top cars that stroke the owners ego. I would rather go to "a day at the drags" and look at beaters that do what a hot rod is supposed to do, run fast and be loud.

30. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boss you hit the nail on the head or should i say you drove it home with a 20 lb hammer.