Register now to get rid of these ads!

How old is this Craftsman drill press?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RodStRace, Jul 26, 2009.

1. RodStRace

RodStRace

Bought the cabinet, all the stuff in the drawers and the drill press Friday for 40 bucks! Any idea what vintage it is?

Attached Files:

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i dont know but my dad scored one just like it the other day, its nicely made so its gotta be old

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The coffee cans make good wall hangers.

4. BenW455

BenW455

Check out the garage journal. Someone over there will know.

5. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Looks to be from the 60's to me.

6. Mid 60s. I got 1 just like it I cut a drive shaft and spliced it to make a floor model. If you do this just remember to bolt it down to the floor !!! >>>>.

7. It has a serial# and a model#

8. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Looks like the one I got from my grandfather when he died back in '76. If I remember correctly, he bought it about 1955.

9. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Very Nice, looks like all my other old Craftsman stuff by the color and script. At least these are still pretty much repairable if a bearing or something else goes out.

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

Ah Ha! Yes I took a shot but it came out blurry, so I didn't include it.

103.23130 on a tag riveted to the base.

There is a tag on the motor, but it still needs cleaning. I can get that too, if it will help.

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

12. I've got one that is a gold color, thinking it's older?

13. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

14. great score the older drill presses where more rigid in the quil and dont move like the new one,s do great find
    and it has 4 bearing,s instead of 2 that the new one,s have

15. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Agreed, great find,

I thought I got a good deal, I found a 1975 Craftsman floor press for $100.

All ball bearing, no bushings, and you can rebuild the entire unit when you wear it out.

Though when I got it, it had a layer of dust over it....once I cleaned that off, It looke NOS....old dude that passed was a woodworker , near as I can tell he never put steel under the chuck, nary a scratch on the table.

It's been one of my best tools that I've ever gotten thus far.

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I have one, I hoped it up with a bigger motor.
    Its one of three things I have that are from my friend thats now gone. I thank him when I use it.
    I have a craftsman bandsaw and 48 x 6 beltsander of the same vintage also.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  17. RodStRace

RodStRace

Thanks!!! I usually try google for stuff, but didn't think a serial number would bring up anything.
    Lots of interesting stuff, like the manual free instead of the guys on E$$$ selling them for 8 bucks plus, and that it was made by King-Seeley.
    It also seems like some parts are still available from Sears!:eek:
    I'm going to check into a new column (#27611) since this one has so much rust. Mine also has a light built in, which doesn't show on the stuff I've seen so far. The guy removed the wiring from that and the OE switch when he mounted it on the cabinet and ran the wiring up to the switch in the yellow box, but I may redo that.

18. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I have the same drill press, it's a great tool and very well built. Craftsman sold the same basic drill press for a number of years, from the early 50s up until I think the early 60s - the color and nameplates changed some, but the rest stayed the same. If you look around the Old Woodworking Machines page, they have catalogs from different years so you can see how it evolved.

19. andrewt2

andrewt2
    from Topeka, KS

that guy really saw you coming! the ad says it was only $83.50 Brand new! you paid half that for a 50 year old drill press! what a sucker!!! Just kidding! nice score!

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool old drill. what I always find interesting is old guys junk drawers. I used to see a lot of them when I went to estate sales. drawer after drawer and jar after jar of mismatched hardware of all kinds. I always liked to sift through the junk to find the good stuff.

21. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I can't imagine that there's enough rust on that column to justify trying to replace it (which would probably cost several times what you have in the machine.) Just get a "shop roll" of 2", 120 grit emery cloth and tear it into stips about 2' long and start working it back and forth around the column. You'll have it clean in 30 minutes.

QUOTE=RodStRace;4159883]Thanks!!! I usually try google for stuff, but didn't think a serial number would bring up anything.
    Lots of interesting stuff, like the manual free instead of the guys on E$$$ selling them for 8 bucks plus, and that it was made by King-Seeley.
    It also seems like some parts are still available from Sears!:eek:
    I'm going to check into a new column (#27611) since this one has so much rust. Mine also has a light built in, which doesn't show on the stuff I've seen so far. The guy removed the wiring from that and the OE switch when he mounted it on the cabinet and ran the wiring up to the switch in the yellow box, but I may redo that.[/QUOTE]

22. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Only reason I knew that would work is cause I did the same thing when I picked mine up to find out the vintage....

Second the emory cloth idea...it'll work well, hit it with some gibs afterwards or if your really into it some clear and call it good....

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice unit. You might try some metal prep and a scotchbrite pad to get the surface rust off. Then something to keep it off or slowed down.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've got one just like it and it was old when I got it in the 60's.

Frank

25. I'll say late 50's early 60's. I have one just like it that was my Dads, it was in my folks house as long as I can remember. He built the house in '62, maybe it was to furnish his new shop. I came along in '64 and it was always there. A good quality unit.

Johnnie.

26. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The Clausing company, same one that makes industrial mills etc, has a service center dedicated to supporting old craftsman stuff. Sears will likely refer you to them. Good luck

27. cafekid

cafekid

i have one like that at my shop in a floor model its a really good press

28. lorisbird

lorisbird

Second try, Do you know where I can get the manual for the Industrial type Drill Press-1956? My Drill Press went swimming when Sandy invaded the Basement. Salt water doesn't mix with metal very well. I have been able to get most of the rust cleaned and oiled. But I still have to get the top pully off. The motor is dead, but I will send that out for repair or replacement. I miss my Drill press bought it 1975 used, and have used it ever since. Worked great on any type of metal. Most important is the diagram as to where and how to take the guts apart for cleaning. Appreciate any help you can give to get this OLDIE up and running again. Thanks Lori

29. gtowagon

gtowagon

I have the floor model of that its the oldest and best piece of equipment I have