Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Lively Set

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. I love that flick.

It always goes sky high on Ebay too, so I must not be the only one.

JOE:cool:

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

great movie

4. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

"GET OUT" those guys are tearing it up, great stuff

5. What a great flick...watched it the other nite for the 1100th time at least,kool cars and Pamela Tiffin (playboy1969).....a true must for the dvd collection

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how cool was that? those crazy kids and thier HOT RODs...

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I wish I lived in a simpler time. It's going on my blockbuster online list as we speak.

8. I would love to get the movie. I went and seen it when it came out. I also like the road raceing seens with P.Jones drivivg his bad ass ford. great flick

9. photofink

photofink

I have that one on vhs that I taped off of tv many years ago.
    Ill have to buy it on dvd now.

10. Missing Link

Missing Link

It's a little corny but so what. It's worth it just for the rods. A definate must see.

11. Pure corn.
    Love it...like most of the sixties flix.

And doesn't it figure...Netflix doesn't have it.

12. Pscott

Pscott

"This turbine's exhaust is sweet as a baby's breath" (or something to that effect) :rolleyes:
    God bless Hollywood!
    I wonder if that cross-country race footage was staged, or from an actual race? That W-motored roadster was my ideal hot rod for years afterward!

13. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thats Eddie Dye's 29 roadster in the beginning, after it was modified ALOT.....poor car!

14. Tom Branch

Tom Branch

That's my old roadster with James Darren behind the wheel. It's transformation from Eddie Dye roadster to Lively Set roadster is all just a part of Hot Rod evolution. Track nosed roadsters weren't popular in the 60's, so it was natural for it to be rebuilt as it was. I think it was a bitchin roadster either way, and it all just adds to the history of the car. Fortunately, it's in capable hands now and is being restored to it's original version.

The Lively Set is one of my favorite all time Hot Rod movies. It's got street racing, drag racing at Famoso, Bonneville, road racing the Chrylser turbine car, and even a pool party at the Famoso motel. Awesome movie.

15. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

saw it in about 70 in B/W on the BBC on a rainy saturday afternoon

Attached Files:

16. any pics of the car in the Lively set look...I like the Dye look but really dig the 60s rod scene....guess its my age..........

17. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

18. tedster

tedster

That was great. Thanks for posting. I had forgotten all about that movie. Ted

19. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I like how they just stop for the police at the end who was waiting for them. Different times for sure. :p Wouldn't be any stopping around here these days until someone ran a few stop lights and killed some people.

20. 31whitey

31whitey

THATS it man....thats it

really cool...

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I watch that about once a year, for no good reason.
    I don't remember racing in the 60's wearing a suit and tie, but, hey, thats Hollywood. Geez.
    To this day, when I go to the L.A. Roadster Show in Pomona, I can't drive through that parking lot without thinking this film. That part where Doug McClure spins out the t-bucket is where the south exit is of the parking lot.
    After all these years I still think of that spot.

This weekend, I'm going to get all dressed up and go look for a race :rolleyes:

Even cornier was when McClure visits Jimmy Darin's shop to see his "little project", the jet car of Dr. Ostich from the early 60's Bonneville trials, pictured on the right, next to the Challenger...
    [​IMG]

"just a little something I'm working on......"

22. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

One of my favorite hot-rod shows. so many cool cars but the Chrysler turbin car was always one of my favorites. ( I've always been a little different ) Gary

23. 61TBird

61TBird

Great clip, I gotta get that one.

24. burbanite

burbanite

Have that DVD in my collection along with a number of others from "the era".

25. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Thanks, i remember seeing it years ago, i'm gonna find one and watch it again.

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"McClure's T" resided here in San Diego, and I never knew it! Earlier this year I saw it on ebay. It looked pretty much the same as in the movie, minus the top (that surrey with the fringe on top as Darrin called it.

Pamela Tiffin alone is worth watching the movie!

27. I collect '50s & '60s movie memorabilia. Here is an ad mat from the Lively Set pressbook showing the Eddie Dye/Tom Branch roadster.

The color pic is from a lobby card showing the Chrysler turbine winning the road race ending in St. George Utah.

The race car drivers used in the film were Bonneville and drag racers Mickey Thompson & Jim Nelson, Grand Prix and Indy driver Bill Krause, USAC founder and indy driver Duane Carter and Chrysler Engineer George Stecher who was the only one allowed to drive the Chrysler turbine.

Mick

Attached Files:

28. Name of the car is "LITTLE MISS".....you can see it in this pic,Do I win???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  29. autobilly

autobilly

That movie looks like a lot of fun, surprised I've never seen it before. Great race sequence, looked like it was filmed "at speed". Good sound too!
    As for both just stopping for the Cops, where's the fun in that?