Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1935 Miller/Ford Indy Cars

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 28, 2008.

1. The history of Miller and the connection with Bugatti have always been interesting to me. They must have had a strong underlying respect for each others work. The appearance of both their efforts show the results of a very clear vision and thoughtful execution.
    Love those '35 Fords.
    All the best for the new 'Miller' coming to your family.

2. Weasel

Weasel

Are these a continuation of the Miller pedal cars made by Richard Graves' Miracle Pedal Car Co in the mid 1990s? I was at his shop several times before and during production and, as I recall he had limited the run to 100 units only.

Your Miller gonna be a V16 Ryan? Congrats in advance of the happy event.

3. McKee

McKee

I just took a wild guess at Loren Richards,...it's more likely it was Richard Graves,........I knew it was Richard something....

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

A great thread but I would be remiss if I did not add something additional about the Chevrolet Brothers. They attempted the partnership so to speak with the Blood Brothers (Howard Blood was one of the brothers can't remember the other off hand). The innovative thing in my opinion about the Cornelian was that it was a monocoque which may be the first (can't swear to it though). It was a good thing they failed as this forced the Chevrolet brothers to open their own shop originally on Grand River Avenue in Detroit before moving to Indianapolis. In 1915 they had built the first of their overhead cam fours with the extensive use of aluminum, body,engine, oil coolers and even part of the frame. He also added fuel tanks down low in the chassis and one on each side of the frame, ala formula one practice of recent vintage. Chevrolet's racers were extremely fast and were the very first car of any marque to win back to back in the 500 at Indy (1920, 1921). If it wasn't for bad luck -you know the rest. Gaston wins at Indy in 1920 and the next thing he dies at LA on the boards. Louis is devastated. His next big venture besides the Ford after market heads was an aircraft company in 1929 and the black Tuesday hits. Truly a tragic figure but a great racecar builder.

The junk formula was in my opinion a great time in American racing and after watching the belly button cars today I only wish they would take a page out of history and try it again. They actually may even put people like me back in the seats.

The Sampson looks great. What is the relation to the Sampson in the Indy museum and to Frank Lockhart's LSR Blackhawk? Any history worth sharing? Also who is doing the work-looking good?

No one can deny that Miller is a great name, be it a car or future American hot rodder-Jim

6. Sweet topic, and congrats to you both........is he going to be a welder?;):rolleyes::D

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

7. zzford

zzford

There is a really dead on reproduction running around here in Palm Beach County, Florida. It is way cool. It has a flathead powering the front wheels and as I recall a drive shaft from the front axle back to the rear end. The guy that owns it has driven it in the Great Race. He also has a 1912 Chevy powered repro race car (also a veteran of the Great Race), dunno the name of it but it looks like a Chanti bottle laid on it's side. The next time I see either car, I'll try to get some pictures. Both cars are on the road and he isn't afraid to drive them.

8. autobilly

autobilly

My favorite race car of all time was the Miller 91. Clocked at Bonnie. @ 170mph in the mid-late '2o's and powerd by a 1.5 liter supercharged streight 8, the 91 was as fast as it was good looking.

Dynoroom's pictures are fantastic.

Congratulations Ryan. Little boys are worth the extra effort. I hope all goes well with Miller Cochran.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I seem to remember a murky and depressing end to Borgeson's own restoration...I think he lent the car to the L.A. Museum, which decided to keep it, and during tangled legal proceedings B. commited suicide.
    I was just reading a Borgeson edited "Little Book" of rodding, and in a little article on tools he is pictured demonstrating use of a Plomb/Proto puller on a Miller hub.

10. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Congratulations to you and your wife Ryan. My wife and I had our son a little over a year ago now and he is hands down the best thing that has ever happened to me. I am sure you will feel the same when he arrives. One of my family sure names is Miller as well on my mother's side. I agree it is a nice name.

12. Lucky77

Lucky77

Very cool post, thanks for the history lesson. Also, congradulations to you and your family.

13. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

1934 was a strange year for Miller cars in general,two having been entered in the Tripoli grand prix in May of that year.
    A four-wheel-drive 5 litre Indianapolis car (Gus Schrader 1932, crash lap 8) driven by de Paolo, the first 4WD car to start in a GP, and a 3723 cc ex-Indianapolis Duesenberg for Moore (Foreman Axle Special/Maley & Scully, Moore 1933, 3rd).Lou Moore Came 7th ,but the race wasn't without it's moments such as when the Americans were scared out their wits heading into a corner and were passed on either side by the Ferrari- Alfas which had run out of brakes.:eek::eek:.One of these Alfas features in the You tube video posted up a couple of days ago with the great Nuvolari Driving.

I see on the Miller site I can access Drawings --might build a Miller for my self...;):rolleyes:

14. thanks for the history lesson ryan,i love the use of the 35 ford grille
    congrats to you and marcie

15. Harry Miller was the inspiration behind the V/8 logo`s on my 36 roadster.The hood emblem was handcrafted by my friend Rick who is a jeweler and also cast the centres for the wheel disc.Alot of people don`t know that but when I saw the logo on the 35 Indy car I knew it was unique and had to have it.I just had a baby boy myself.Congrats Ryan on your soon to be full time little racer.
    Check the logo`s on the car at www.timebombs .ca

16. Makes you wonder about all the "What ifs" in history.
    What if the steering gears hadn't failed.
    What would have happened to Fords racing program.
    What would this have done to Preston Tuckers future.
    What would have become of Harry Miller and Offenhauser.
    The more you look back at history, the more you realize it could have changed with a blink.

17. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Millers Problem was his Ego,Tucker being a typical Spruiker just massaged Millers ego to get him working on the '35 cars and in atypical fashion used others money( Edsel Fords) and Talent( Millers) to attempt a good outcome for himself.. It was disaster from start to finish.
    Tucker and Miller worked on other failed Projects later too. If Miller had met someone who could've rein in his talents and ego to benefit Miller Himself ,it would have been a far different story I think.

18. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

(If Miller had met someone who could've rein in his talents and ego to benefit Miller Himself ) add to that, paid all the bills & funded all the R&D time needed.

Anybody That could have done the things Miller Did - With what he had to do them - Needed & Diserved a Huge Ego to keep going.

Great Story,

& Congrats PoP...!

19. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

I wonder if im related to harry ;) my name is miller and ive got 2 '35 fords as well, how spooky is that - just a coincidance no doubt.

his car is super cool, always liked those little streamlined boat-tailed racers though, i like the way all the suspension is covered off, kind of looks like the wing from a plane and not unlike modern F1 cars and such - they were way ahead of their time then - must have had the heart of a lion as well to race those things back then.

ryan thats a fine name to pick, ive got a nephew i call little mr miller and have done for 11 years now.. hes a cool little guy.

20. 54MEB

54MEB

I snapped this crappy picture at Ford's Museum.

[​IMG]

sko_ford likes this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulations Ryan! How about a Miller parts invoice? I've got all the paperwork on the H.D.Carpenter Miller that raced in 1925.

Attached Files:

22. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

and I've got a pic of the Zborowski 1923 car,the only one outside the USA. :)

23. Does this mean you won't have time for us any more? Now I know how Winnie the Poo felt. Congratulations, your whole world is about to change.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

When the two Packard Cable cars arrived back in the USA one went to The INDY 500 Collection, Borgenson kept the other and restored it, purple with yellow numbers. Harrah's became the next owner and RErestored it with a yellow body for some reason, it later sold to a collector on Long Island, New York. He in turn RErestored the Harrah restoration and painted it in the correct purple body yellow numbers. He swapped it for a few cars that The Smithsonian had, and it is finally were it belongs. The Smithsonian has had it out and running at meets. :)

25. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Ryan,

Good choice of a name , congrats!!
    I too am in love with the Miller Cars , living just down the street we see Miller influence every day. The 500 motel has one in the lobby and the 500 museum always has more than one. There are a couple of restorations going on in my neighborhood and I have a area glass guy making me a Miller Body for my Model T Ford Speedster to race at the annual Newport Hill climb. He has built a few of the replica bodies and they really are a work of art even on a t chassis.
    He does two and single seat and mine is a single seat. i will provide picks as the mock up gets going.
    Also i will look around Indy for something Miller for baby Millers wall...
    You know a miller replica baby bed would be pretty far out, maybe a baby bed with a miller grill?? How about a tail section toy box ??
    Let me see if Tom has any spares ?? hes lurking here somewhere anyway.....
    McGriff jump in here !!!

26. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Here is a couple of photos of the rear drive 91 cu. in Miller Majestic Special that was restored by Bob Sutherland back in the 1980's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Kurt O.

27. mcload

mcload

Wow! Simply an outstanding topic and thread...I read everything, and even visted the exhaustive Offy/Miller site. These are big boys' toys indeed! Congrats on your new rugrat-mechanic Ryan. (Hide the wallet)

Patrick

28. The Miller Fords bear a resemblance to Edsel's Model 40 Speedster as well.

(which is going on the auction block at Amelia Island on March 8)

Attached Files:

29. Elrod

Elrod

So, Ryan, did you or Steve buy the Miller in the Classifieds?

30. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Ryan,

Congrats to you and the Mrs.

Thanks for posting this thread. The Miller/Ford Indy car is one of my all time favorites!