Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom 54 Merc, progress pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace Brown, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

my dad and i have decided to take on another project for the winter. it's a '54 merc 2dr. hardtop. So far, we've put packard tail lights in, frenched the headlights, shaved, decked and recessed antennas. Future plans include either a nice 4" top chop, or converting it to a convertible. 55 pontiac trim should be here monday (thanks to a fellow hamber!). Anyhow, thought i'd post some pics. Engine plans are a 472 caddy, "dressed up" to look "old".

all starts with that first cut!
    [​IMG]
    Here's our inner panel to hold the tail lights:
    [​IMG]
    Plans were to make patch panels to this shape, but turns out there's a ton of factory lead work in this area, the original tail light "caps" were welded on separately, as was the trunk area:
    [​IMG]
    SO, we had to cut a little further back. no biggie:D
    [​IMG]
    Here's the finished product with the bumper loosely held in place. From this angle you can see the antennas. i'll post pics of that later, as well as the 472 cad build up. Tore it all apart this afternoon. Thankfully, all internals look great!
    [​IMG]

2. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Figured i ought to show a "before" shot! These are pics taken off the ebay page, where we bought it.
    [​IMG]
    interior is pretty nice! NO rust in the floors, or the trunk surprisingly. Not even on the rocker panels. Only bad areas are above the fenders. That'll be fixed soon too;)
    [​IMG]

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bitchn taillights. My vote is keep the top, with a chop and leave her a Vicky.

Nice work, -Abone.

4. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

a Vicky? she's a monterrey;) I can't decide what route to take...the convertible would be killer, but so would the chopped top. both have problems. the convertible would be a little tricky to fit correctly and be a 'true' convertible, as in the arms folding. the top being chopped poses the problem of the rear window. My choices are sinking the glass into the trunk, grafting in an early 50s/late 40s "round" rear window and sheet metal, or trying to cut the rear glass. my cousin is a sandblaster. we were thinking it might be possible to blast the glass down as opposed to actually cutting it, which would be close to impossible with the curve of the glass.

got a little way to go before we reach that point yet, so we'll see :D

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

That's some great fabracation work on the Merc quarters!
    I'd shudder to think what that amount of leadwork would add to
    the price of a new Mercury were they still using lead and people
    skilled enough to apply it on the assembly line today.
    It looks like you're building "a real kustom", very kool!

Swankey Devils C.C.

Happy Xmas!
    Happy Whatever!

6. Wow nice to see aonther custom in the works. The tail lights look great. The car looks realy solid. I also have to throw a vote in for the chop. I think 54 fords and mercs look great chopped

7. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

i thank you guys for the compliments! I agree with you about the top chop. One of my other rides (though a little "new" for here) is a '67 Galaxie 500 convertible, mild custom. Chop tops are awesome, but so is a convertible. i maybe should have mentioned the top would be chopped regardless ;)

8. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

great looking tail lights Im looking for a set to put on my 57 buick

nice work

Tom

9. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

10. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I really dig thise tail lights. What is that rear bumper. 56 Chevy? I have aplan to do this to my 53 one day.

Nice work.

11. Flop

Flop

nice work man this one gonna be up at kevins this summer>?

12. old beet

old beet

Look at a 51 Merc rear window. Get the whole set up from someone choppin a Merc, you will find it fits a chopped 52-54 Ford and Merc very well.............OLDBEET

13. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I have an extra '55 Merc 2 door rear window if you screw up yours. It came from a car I scrapped. They are close to the same, I think.
    Mark your cut with duct tape leaving a 1/8" gap on both sides of your line and go real slow. Give the glass a lot of time to cool between passes with the blaster and you'll be fine.

14. old beet

old beet

Forget about cutting the rear window!!!!! It is tempered glass and CANNOT BE CUT!! Or sandblasted, or modified in any way! Don't even try it! The truth!........OLDBEET

15. thesupersized

thesupersized

nice job, the tail lights look great! and yeah someone asked about bumper...thats a stock 54 merc bumper. its always nice to see that customs are still being built.

16. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

sorry about the late response guys, been away for a couple weeks with the holidays and what not...

in regards to the bumper, that's right. it's a stock '54. the bumper guards will be going to "clean" up the rear a little more.

Beet, thanks for the tip. More photos up soon...'55 pontiac side trim...headlights...472 caddy..more goodies ;)

17. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Few more updates...doin' a little leadslingin'. Leaded up the frenched antennas, and moved to the packard light extensions. One side done, one to go. Ran out of lead, so i have to wait to continue :D

antennas:
    [​IMG]
    putting some lead down:
    [​IMG]
    trying not to catch my cheap paddles on fire;)
    [​IMG]
    vixen filing:
    [​IMG]
    here's after sanding with the vixen file. I sanded it with 80grit paper and a block after this to get her nice and smooth...no pics of the "final" sanding yet. those will come soon.
    [​IMG]

Soon as i get more lead, on to the next side and probably smoothing the trunk.

-ace

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Awesome a lead slinger.......nice job.

19. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

I'm still working on my "leadslinger" status... hell, that side took me about 5 hours :D

20. Moparhead

Moparhead

Excellent work!My .02 is also for the top chop.especially with your metalworking skills.Keep us posted. Fuzz

21. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Great job so far..... I'm still shaking my heat that someone would
    try to tell you that back/tempered glass was cuttable-

On the subject of a chop for this era Merc: the '52-'54 Fords &
    Mercurys start to look very chubby with only a chop and no section
    taken outa the middle to balence the mass of the body. Better chop
    it on paper or better yet look at one with3"-4" inches taken out prior
    to comitin'.

Masterin' leadwork takes some time, but that's the true kustom way!

Swankey Devils C.C.

22. bonesy

bonesy

Please go with the chop. I'd love to see it completed, keep us up to date with the blow by blow - please.

23. bonesy

bonesy

My similar back light isn't chopped glass - its plexi.

24. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

where do you get your lead?

25. DUSTY13

DUSTY13

man you do real nice work, chop top would look real nice on that car..keep us up dated

26. 39 Ford

39 Ford

lookin good, had one back in the day. Suggest keeping it a mild custom, and no chop, a chop looks like someone stepped on it, 49-51's are meant for chopping not these. Just clean it up, make the hood scoop functional etc. paint it one solid color and drive it!

27. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Eastwood sells lead, Punkabilly. It's 70/30 (70% tin-30% lead). It's about 30 bucks for 10 sticks. Where in ohio are ya?

Thanks guys, comments and opinions appreciated. As far as sectioning goes, i'm not a big fan of sectioned cars for the most part. However, in regard to the "chubby" factor, you're right, Pimpin. To accomodate that, the rear window will be moved forward around 5 or 6" with the top chopped around 4", and with the taillight extensions, it will appear thinner than it is. Of course, it will be lowered too.

If we go the chopped top route, as opposed to convert., we'll be using most likely a donated '49 dodge rear window leaned forward. maybe... i think it'll work. It will look something like this (stolen from HAMB, if i knew whose it was i'd give credit. My apologies) :
    [​IMG]

I think this picture has a '51 merc rear window (?) as OLDBEET had mentioned previously.

I'll post more pics as we plug along. Next step is to take the front fenders off and the hood. Will probably work on the hood next, make a funcitoning scoop as mentioned. It's getting '55 pontiac trim, so sorry, it's going 2tone;). Long way off for paint yet though. things have a way of changing too along the way :D

until next time...
    -ace

28. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

You still got your stock tailights and fender caps? Wanna sell 'em?

29. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Hey harry, i'm sorry man! The bass player in my band has a '52 buick he wants to put thos in. If the measurements don't work out i'll put you in line after him!