Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 Cam Advice needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TERPU, Jun 2, 2006.

1. TERPU

TERPU

I'm getting ready to rebuild a 6-235 and I would like a mild cam. But I have never put together the parts for one of these before and I don't know what to run and where I want the power to come in at? It's going in a 53 Chevy mild custom with the stock trans and rear. So I would think nothing too radical. All advice and views are welcome. Also what are the best headers, valve covers and intakes to use. I was thinking maybe a 2-2 set-up.

Thank You,
    Tim

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I have had good luck with the Iskenderian C-4. Keep in mind that you shouldn't cam up a 235 like you would a small block. Whatever power gains you go for on a street engine should be in the 0-3500 range.

3. I JUST finished rebuilding mine for my 53 bel air 235.

Fenton makes the best headers, I think California Bill says that alone is about a 40 or maybe 60HP increase, I forget. Fenton also has a dual intake that matches up quite nicely. Check out http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1290745

Order your shit from Patrick's http://www.patricksantiquecars.com

They have good deals on most things. I got a rumpy cam and it's awesome. I was afraid it would be too much but it wasn't. At idle it sounds mean as all hell but when you step into it, it evens out and takes off like a bat outta hell.

Also some tips are at: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112350

Lotta 53 guys and a whole lotta 235 guys on here that can help with everything.

I love my 235, I have about 4 grand tied up in it, along with blood sweat and tears. It's an awesome engine.

Get that cam from Patrick, and yeah you can really cam up a 235 and they're awesome when you do. You'll also wanna get your fenton stuff from them too, since everywhere else you can buy it simply buys it from Patrick anyway.

4. TERPU

TERPU

Awesome! thanks for all the advice guys. I also just got word my little brother no longer wants his 292 in his 68 Sub! HMMMMMMM lots of possibilities.

Tim

5. I'm running a Howard's "3/4 Race" cam in my 261. My advice would be, spend your money on a good intake and split exhaust first. There's a hell of a Hp gain in just those two items alone. You can always swap the cam after you get the bugs worked out. Just my $.02

6. Godzilla

Godzilla

The long stroke in the 235 likes a lot of duration. I talked with Jerry at Schneider Cams and he made a cam for my HAMBster project. He knows his stuff.

Any cam company, though...like comp cams can help you figure out what the best cam is for your application...based on what other parts you intend to run in it. I too would pick the cam out last...needs to work in concert with everything else.

The 235 valve springs are pretty wimpy too...budget a set of new ones if you really want her to sing to you when you mash down on the long pedal. Good luck with your build up.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

On the subject of valve springs, I found out long ago that 455 Buick valve springs make an inexpensive high performance spring for 235s.