Register now to get rid of these ads!

The New Little Pages

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Why would you need to change your name and reinlist unless you were doing something wrong or Ryan said you could come back. MMMMMMMMMMMM

For the rest of your post I agree and hope these guys can show janet why she was so wrong.

Maybe I am selfish but hope the janets don't come to the revolution or the HAMB drags then every hot rod jonnie will show up and ruin it like viva.

Jonnie= as in jonnie come lately.

2. OLLIN

OLLIN

i had forgotten about the janets post,
    I heard about this new mag on AJ's blog, looks cool and Ill have to go grab a copy. Congrats Billy!
    It trips me out how big this site has gotten. Every time I do a google search about hotrods or customs, it always takes me back here. I remember I stumbled on this site when it was really new, but never joined. I would stop by occasionally to check out the posts. This site has more eye-candy then all of those magazines put together, plus the community aspect (like hearing about shows, that stolen engine that just got found), and the Tech archives, the classifieds, those are things that you just cant get from a printed mag. The ability to ask questions and help other guys etc. This is definitely my favorite website.
    How short-sighted these magazines are if they couldn't see the potential this site has! Maybe you can ask them about a HAMB discount on a subscription! haha
    I like that feeling of anticipation and finally getting that magazine in the mail as much as any car guy, but I think there is enough room for everyone. Im gonna go and enjoy my morning coffee and read my newspaper now. ;)

3. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

the one thing a magazine has over the jalopy journal is that you can read it when your taking a dump.

but the new mag looks cool ill have to go check it out

4. That's why there's an iPhone app.

5. That is still one of the funniest things I've ever read.

6. Jim has been one of the more colorful and opinionated personalities on the HAMB. yes, he has been banned, reinstated, left on his own and changed his username. none of that is any of my business. thats between he and Ryan.

as for janet and jonnie.... we can do without.

7. Abomination

Abomination

A lot of us are way ahead of you, man. We read it on our iPhones! Lol!

~Jason

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've covered the HAMB drags twice in Hot Rod Deluxe. Having it limited to such a small number of cars, at such a small facility, may be cool for participants, but a magazine can't keep showing the same cars year after year, so I took last year off.

I've also mentioned the HAMB in several tech and feature articles I've done in Deluxe.

I do find it interesting that Deluxe is a content-driven (versus ad driven) magazine, light on ads, survives because of the news stand price and the subscription price, and people bitch about the high news stand price and now the high subscription price.

I'd love for the R&C little pages to thrive. It sounds like they're going to run it on the business model they've surprised themselves with for Hot Rod Deluxe. But that's gonna mean stepping up and shelling out more than $3.99 at the news stand, and .97 per issue for a subscription.

You guys have the power to make the Little Pages succeed. Don't fuck it up by bitching about not getting something for nothing. YOU are the ones that will be supporting it, financially, as opposed to the advertisers. Because it's geared toward YOU, not advertisers. And for that, YOU will need to foot the bill, not advertisers.

I'm heading to Barnes and Noble today to see if they've got a copy.
    Happy motoring.

-Brad

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

The other thing a magazine has over a website is that nobody ever bragged their car was featured on a website.

-Brad

10. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I gotta put this out there.

The JJ and the HAMB are miles above the rest because of content! The best thing about this place is the human/live aspect. These builds are happening "right now" and we as members/users have the privilege to experience it and ask questions as we please. The formula is so organic and perfect that the big guys can't compete on this level without charging a fee. I don't know how you do it, Ryan, but I'm glad you do.:eek::cool:

The content is what has us here and has us yearning for more of what we find in the "alternative" mags (i.e. TRJ, Kustoms Illustrated and the rest) and has us holding on to the moldy relics of what once was! Sometimes it just feels like passion is no longer in the driver's seat.

I'm gonna support this new smaller issue for as long as I can when I can. So long as I feel I'm buying a magazine and not a catalog!;)

11. glad to see this.. interested in picking up a copy

12. hotdamn

hotdamn

I'm really surpised that 34 post into this thread and no one has mentioned this...

Ryan I agree with a lot of what you have to say, I too have spent a good portion of my life appalled at "the man" and not in some ignorant punk rock kid kinda way, in a how does no one else see this kinda way!

so with that preface out of the way, I too have a rather substantial vintage car magazine collection and can I say that they were whores in the little pages probably worse than current issues of R&C ever thought about...

go cart ads that outweigh the pages pertaining to cars 2 to 1, constant get rich quick ads in the back and let us not forget electro-plating your own chrome on your car, you can save hundreds!!! :)

my point is yes big business is evil and it consumes but were often forget that big business and shysters existed then too...

maybe I'm way off base here but just my thoughts.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  13. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

You know what doesn't jive? You know what's NOT traditional? Dissecting, analyzing, double thinking all of this old car stuff. Man, all the sanctimony and passionate pretense is enough to gag a fuggin' maggot.

The HAMB is a great place for cars, project updates, tech, humorous crap, history and a way to voice an immediate opinion, for THIS Ryan, I am thankful and appreciative. What makes me nauseous is the pack mentality and the elitist garbage....

99% of the time I'm successful in disregarding the esoteric bullschittt, I'm working on the other 1%.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Shit man... I've heard lots of folks brag. In fact, I know of more than one instance where TJJ was chosen over some of the more prominent.

I like HRD ok.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So, ignore it... Just skip the topics.

I know I go over board on occasion. I guess it's because I'm so damned passionate about it. Excuse the elitist garbage.

16. Looks like it doesn't hit the shelves till May 3rd. I will definitely have to check it out!

17. sololobo

sololobo

Like the open opinions and information, Rob Fortier in MHO is doing a great job making the reg R. & C. my pick of the litter. Friends first! ~sololobo~

18. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I'm a HAMBer, and I'm one of the lucky guys to be in this first annual issue. Check out "Craigslist A-Bone" --that'll be me! I still haven't found in a store yet.

OLLIN, thanks for the shout-out about my blog.

Rob asked me to write the article, he wanted the to "...be in your own words." So I wrote four pages. I know --a little long, right. I expected he would edit it. But lets see if left in my part about Ryan & the HAMB.

Ryan, you are a pretty cool guy. You too Jim A.

19. Abomination

Abomination

Hey man, you don't have to apologize for your passion! As for the elitist and cliquish stuff, that's just life. From grade school to your every day job, to the HAMB, it's just life - it's just human nature, and happens in any group.

I hopped on the HAMB after lurking a bit because it grew on me. Turns out I loved it, in fact, for the same reasons you do. Many of us latched on because (consciously or not) we were seeking exactly what you provided, and for the exact same reasons you provided it: you just hit the nail on the head, and thus, a home run.

Via the membership numbers alone, the HAMB has spoken, showing what the general public wants and desires. In the meantime, a bunch of us became disillusioned with several print magazines. Perhaps, because the HAMB now dictates the path they must follow to recapture our love affair with print, publishers will be forced into putting out a better, higher-quality product. And thus, we come full-circle, as the magazine industry is raised from it's long slumber from beneath filler material and the thumbs of various owners stuck on ad sales - reignited, inspired, and fed by the HAMB.

Print won't go away, but with this latest development, at least it seems it's coming around. When it's time, go start your magazine, boy. The rest of us are waiting for chapter two of you giving them a run for their money...

~Jason

20. No one's seen this little book yet? I'll wait to see it before I know what I think.

There's still a lot of raw truth on the HAMB. I find it very useful to me. There are more participants now, so there's more idiots. But most of the original core group of people who make this place interesting still hang here. It's the immediacy of the flow of ideas that is the draw for me. It can't really be compared to print. There are other message boards that serve that function better than the HAMB, but they're very tightly focused and are by invitation only. But, the HAMB provides the model for all of them. And I share things found on the HAMB with the people on said boards. It all sort of fits together like it was designed that way. But we, who have been HAMBers for a long while, have watched Ryan make it up as he went along. It's been fun to see. And even more fun to participate in. I'm glad we have more options for looking at car stuff. It's a bright part of a dingy world.

21. hotdamn

hotdamn

you know its kinda like underground music for me. Nirvana was better in my opinion when there were 12 people at the show...

at least those 12 were there because they dug it not as a fashion.

I use hot topic as model for life, let enough people find out about anything and they will ruin it.

I remember when the now 4 letter word rat rod meant traditional beater and look at what happened to that.

there will always be those of us that are in it because we bleed it and its exciting now to see it starting to grow but the senic in me see's it becoming a characeture of how it was. like traditional model A's that ride 2" off the ground...

22. "I remember when the now 4 letter word rat rod meant traditional beater and look at what happened to that."

Really? I don't.

23. hotdamn

hotdamn

in the mid 90's if you were younger and had a lowbuck A coupe and new what was up then chances are it was referred to as a rat rod.

oh sorry I see your from cali, you guys are 10 years ahead of us so it would have been in the late 80's for you;)

24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

..big dummy.:)

25. Actually, I remember rat bikes from the '70s, and the early versions of old style hot rods in the '80s. But rat rod is a post '90s term. Probably. I could be wrong, ya know. Whatever. I agree with you about the over low model As.

26. hotdamn

hotdamn

the first time I heard it was in a book from the 90's that had a write up about the Choppers I believe, may have been the Shifters, it was a long time ago and I dont recall exactly which one it was?

hell maybe I'm crazy?
    any one else remember that?

27. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

As far as bragging about a car on a website goes, I like to think it is the future.

28. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I don't care what anyone knows- I'm an open book. The current total is ALL of my post combined thanks to Ryan. I've had a couple names-

1. Redondo Rodder- that went awat quick.

2. JimA- has been my screen name pretty much the whole time. There was a time my name said "BANNED" under it. I had done nothing more than work a different message board and was asked politely if I wanted my acct. closed. The "BANNED" was added after I was gone. I really had done nothing wrong and never had ill will for the HAMB.

3. Jim A- was my name when I recently came back, but Ryan let me have the old one back.

Someone once signed on with a name simular to mine and said some crap, but it was known from the inside not to be me by the I.P. address. While I don't start out to make trouble- it has followed me in the past. I don't ever want any trouble, but I do have certain opinions I believe in.

Also good to reserve judgement or praise until you are holding something in your hand. I'm too often let down by anything in print other the The Rodder's Journal and Hot Rod Deluxe.

29. Damn...can I get a AMEN!!!!

30. chigger

chigger

To damn bad the local NEWSSTAND closed down...