Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead vapor lock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JerryP., Mar 26, 2010.

1. JerryP.

JerryP.
    from Tucson,AZ.

Can someone help with vapor lock on my flattie? I added a inline fuel pump, which stops it when starts to lock but I would like to eliminate the problem. By the way it's a stock 8ba in my 50. Thanks

2. 53ash

53ash
    from Plano, TX

Easy trick on the road. Clip some wood clothes pins on the fuel line. They work to get rid of heat. Long term. You can move the fuel line to a cooler location, or insulate the fuel line.

3. Back in the day when we had flatheads had to carry water to pour over fuel pump to cool it down, later tried the clothes pin trick that worked.

4. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of flathead "vapor lock" problems can be cured with a new NAPA Echlin IH-200 condensor.

Saxon likes this.

5. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

How many clothes pins will it hold? ;)

6. I am having the same "vapor lock" issue with the flat head V8 in my 49 ford. It was above 90 degrees yesterday and it locked up a few times after I started it and then took off.

Is the NAPA condensor a direct replacement for my flattie?? thanks!!

josh

7. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Try gas from different sources. If you have winter blended gasoline that you bought last fall, get rid of it or put in just a little diesel fuel until you can get it burnt off. Try to buy gas with no ethanol. Some gas is way worse for this. Premium sometimes helps, too.

8. flatjack

flatjack

Ther is no way a clothes pin can dissipate heat. Wood is an insulator. The wood shields the gas line from the heat at best.

9. I'm having a vapor lock problem with my '56 I've been chasing for 2 years. Only does it if just barely moving or idling for a long time. If I got in one of those 15 mile interstate traffic jams I'd just have to pull over until they got it cleared up. I put an electric fuel pump on it and it did delay it some but still does it. I put a water hose right on top of the fuel pump the other day and it never did it and the gas never boiled. (I have a clear plastic fuel filter). The carburetor never gets so hot you can't touch the bowls (have a 1" plastic spacer under it). Have rubber fuel lines from pump to carb. The line from the fuel tank runs outside the frame all the way up so is never close to a heat source. Next move is high test, no ethanol fuel, (if I can find any).

10. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

It's actually for International Harvester tractors, but it works well on flatheads, too.

11. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Install an electric fuel pump back by the tank, remove the stock fuel pump and shield ALL the fuel lines from ANY heat source. That should cure your problem. Electric pumps push better than pull.

12. dudley32

dudley32

the clothes pin stops the heat(insulates)from climbing up the metal gas line..d32

13. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I have a friend with a stock 41 Ford flathead. He has been plagued with the vapor lock problem for several years. He has tried the clothes pin route, and insulating the fuel line also. Neither seems to help him, when it is really hot.

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Vapor lock occurs when fuel is allowed to boil. Only two things you can do to affect that; one is to insulate the fuel from excess heat, the other is to increase fuel pressure. Higher fuel pressure makes the vapor lock situation happen at a higher temperature; hopefully higher than your fuel is ever allowed to reach.

Most vapor lock issues I've dealt with have been due to a weak fuel pump (pressure too low). Usually one of those phenolic or fiber 1/2" carb spaces will keep the carb cool enough to keep vapor lock at bay even with a slightly weak pump.

In short, check your fuel pressure and make sure it's in spec.

15. in my situation, I think the CARB is the issue, not the fuel line running to it. It may also be a weak fuel pump. (have to check it) I think the fuel is getting through the line and boiling when it enters the carb causing the vapor lock. The fuel line (not rubber) is not even hot to the touch and is 3-4" away from the engine.

After is locks and I pour some gas into the carb I can hear it boiling and sizzling.

If I put a fiber spacer (as mentioned above) between the carb and engine, I suspect this will help keep the carb cooler.

and again, it has been in the high 80's here the last few days when this is happening. It is cooler today and I will run it and see what happens.

I will also be moving to Columbus OH in the next month or two and I doubt the high heat and humidity will help my cause!!!!!!! DAMN.

josh

16. Ole don

Ole don

When in heavy traffic on a hot day, instead of following the car in front at four feet, follow at twelve feet. Your engine will be ten to twenty degrees cooler. The fuel pump on my Y block was meant for a 292 truck, it is the same one used for a 427 single four barrel engine. My car has never vapor locked.

17. NOLUCK13

NOLUCK13

I had the same problem with my flattie. I rerouted the fuel line and put in a electric fuel pump and new fuel filter and that seemed to solve my problem. It gets pretty hot here in Austin, Texas and I haven't had a problem since!

18. haychrishay

haychrishay

Don't run ethanol mixed gas, run premium.

Saxon likes this.
  19. bobscogin

bobscogin

Wouldn't blocking off the exhaust crossover make the carb run cooler?

Bob

20. I am gonna order up the electric fuel pump and see where that gets me. thanks for all the advice fellas!!

josh

21. lonewolf

lonewolf

I had the same problem with my 51 ford.....check your timing that plays a major role, Is it advancing? also what i did was ran straight vinigar in the radiator for a week and flushed it out had to do it twice youd be surprised the shit that comes out

Texas Webb likes this.
  22. Wesley G. Estill

Wesley G. Estill

Thank you Uncle Max. The tractor condensor seemed to do the trick on my flathead. Starts better now.

23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will also be moving to Columbus OH in the next month or two and I doubt the high heat and humidity will help my cause!!!!!!! DAMN.

josh[/QUOTE]
    At least you'll be getting out of this POS state

6-bangertim likes this.
  24. v8flat44

v8flat44

Electric pump at the tank fixed my 52 ! mike

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Be aware that tired coils do about the same as Chinese condensers...power drops off as car gets up to running temp, deteriorates, then no longer runs. Everything back to fine after half an hour of cooling down.
    Diagnostic...let spark jump from plug terminal to head. Good spark gives a sharp SNAP and fat blue spark. When coils or condenser...ummm...vapor locks, spark is thready yellow sizzle, not much snap. Put some clothes pins on the electricity stuff.

Saxon likes this.
  26. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I used the clothes pins to hold the tin foil in place that I wrapped around the gas line to dissipate the heat.

27. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Get you fuel line away from the heat source(s). Try to insulate your fuel line in an attempt to keep the heat away from the line. Good luck.

28. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Try a Power Steering Cooler in your Fuel line.