Register now to get rid of these ads!

Castrol Oil for Classic Engines - High Zinc Content

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by damnfingers, Jan 18, 2008.

1. damnfingers

damnfingers

I know this subject has been beaten to death but it looks like Castrol has taken our cars under their wing and maybe, just maybe, the low zinc problem has been resolved. :D

http://tinyurl.com/2sxcw9

"Today's engines face different demands than those of yesteryear. Now classic car owners who are particular about what they put in their vintage vehicles can receive modern wear protection from a high–zinc formula specially engineered for classic engines."

2. FWilliams

FWilliams

how much a quart?....I see it is a full synthetic...usually spendy

3. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

How much more Zinc is there over the old oil? A friend pointed out that there was very little more zinc but they can still say ""More Zinc".

4. jonny o

jonny o

Maybe I missed it, but It doesn't look like it says how much zinc.... does say that it doesn't pass the catalyst requirements.

5. Road Runner

Road Runner

I stay away from multi-grades or synthetics for my early 6s, regardless of whatever advertizing promises.
    Straight grade detergent oil with zinc additive is proven and works for us.

6. jonny o

jonny o

7. I read in another another HAMB thread just a few days ago that the whole Zinc scare is exactly that, much to do about nothing.

the report is from:
    Bob Olree is Chairman of the ILSAC Oil Committee. ILSAC
    is the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval
    Committee composed automobile manufacturers that sets standards
    for passenger car motor oil quality. ILSAC uses a starburst symbol
    that illustrates APIâ€Ts (American Petroleum Institute) service
    classification, SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) grade, and
    energy conserving level.

8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

What oil do you use? Also where do you get your zinc additive? My 235's need something new.

9. Road Runner

Road Runner

I still got plenty of the pre-2007 Rotella T SAE 30.
    But when that runs out in a couple of years, I will go with this additive, I learned about only a few days ago on another zinc thread right here on the HAMB.

http://www.zddplus.com/index.htm

Should work great with regular gasoline straight grade oil , off the shelf.

10. damnfingers

damnfingers

I've emailed Castrol asking about the percentage of zinc content in this new oil...and how it compares to the normal API rated Castrol.

Also, this is not a straight synthetic...it's a blend.

And I just found this in another forum:
    Current Syntec 20W-50 (for classic cars) is actually a modern premium quality API SM product that has been Zinc boosted to Zinc levels that are reminiscent of levels from historic API categories such as SG when flat tappet cams with high spring loads were common in the fleet. For reference, note that the API SM category has the most rigorous passenger car engine oil (PCO) test performance requirements in the history of the API PCO categories.

The level of Zinc in the new Syntec 20W-50 is a minimum of 1200 ppm, which will provide excellent anti-wear protection for the cam and lifters in a flat-tappet cam engine.

11. Sinner

Sinner

Did He relpy yet?
    I know he's busy running Cuba and all:)

12. no55mad

no55mad

Here's your source for ZDDP; it is also a good site for an explanation of the problems with new oils. This is a product for car people by car people - they are very helpful! Trying to get them to be Alliance Vendors which they are willing to do. Click or google www.zddplus.com

13. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I posted the Castrol info about 3-4 months ago and the zinc deal has been covered repeatedly. Regarding zdddplus and other additives, you might want to look into it a bit before you start using them. Check the oil guys site and see what the Lucas stuff does. Basically turns the oil to white foam at high speed. Pretty scary. The Syntec has adequate zinc content, but is full synthetic and cost about $7 or more a quart.

14. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'd like it if it wasn't so expensive and synthetic

15. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

If I remember right the Valvoline VR-1 is good too. I've never had any problem with Valvoline in anything I've had as a matter of fact, it's cut oil consumption in a couple oil burning Fords I've had in half

16. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

i was just reading a publication from work the other day that talked about this [i work at a chevy dealership], i'll have to bring it home monday, and post it here. it's a pretty good article, and may shed some more light on this subject.

17. FWilliams

FWilliams

yep.

I will stick with Brad Penn

18. this month' streetrodder mag. has an article on zddp & oil additives

19. salty40

salty40

I was looking over landracing.com and came across this very informative an rather in depth article on oil and additives. The article is on subject, although with a twist, as it is on a website dedicated to BMW motorcycle riders, and is several years old. However, take it for what its worth. It covers the subject and there are things to be learned, regardless of the engine type or if it has two or four wheels, in my humble opinion.

20. salty40

salty40

21. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I was told regular castrol is 70% synthetic anyways, Ive used the high mileage castrol in a few old cars now and it works pretty good.

22. dnavone

dnavone
    Alliance Vendor

Referring to the comment on "white foam" in the engine oil from an additive. There is absolutely no water or moisture in ZDDP of ZddPlus.. This is one reason for the four ounce bottle size. (Using the entire 4-ounce bottle prevents moisture from condensing in the partial bottle.) Even a minuscule amount of moisture severely limits the protective glazing action of the ZDDP molecule. It's a fact that ZDDP and water/moisture are a terrible combination.. This means that if there is foam in the motor oil, the protection effects of the ZDDP will be severely limited. It's very important to get the foam out of the motor oil so that the ZDDP can perform properly.

23. still cheaper than going thru the motor:rolleyes:

24. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I don't see how you can completely eliminate moisture, such as from condensation, etc.