Register now to get rid of these ads!

difference between chrome and flash chrome ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lownslow, Sep 15, 2006.

1. lownslow

lownslow

i need some stainless moldings flash chromed . what is the difference between that and regular chrome ?

2. BigChief

BigChief

"Flash" chroming is a very thin layer of nickel and chrome only. It doesn't last long and it'll won't look right on stainless..... Unless your going for a certain 'muddy' look or for a restoration. Your better off having the stainless part polished.

Typical old school chrome processes use three layers, copper, nickel and chrome. Many new processes (especially on new parts that do not need to be filled/smoothed) are chromed using thicker layers of nickel and chrome only.....and some shops still use the "triple-plate" method while others use a five layer system.

If your going for wear protection thats a whole different story.

-Bigchief.

3. lownslow

lownslow

thanks for the reply .... actually the parts were flash chromed originally . but i just had all my stainless polished . and these actually have an end piece that is made of pot metal . now that the stainless parts are polished they do not match at all ..... the polisher told me the only way to get them to was to flash chrome them ....what about just having them chromed ?

4. BigChief

BigChief

Actually the flash chrome should look pretty good and closely match the chromed pot metal if the underlying stainless is in nice shape and polished correctly beforehand. Talk to your chrome guy about everything matching up as far as the appearance is concerned and go with his recommendation. He may want to do the pot metal and the stainless to make sure everything is fresh and looks good.

-Bigchief.

5. Studegator

Studegator

I'm bringing this old topic back up as I have been having my SS pieces polished for years and never heard of "flash chrome" until today. I worked mostly with pre 65 stuff.
    I've never had an issue with the polished stainless matching the new chromed parts.
    I was informed today when I questioned why I was being charged 75.00 for hazardous material charge, that it was for stripping and flash chroming the stainless trim I had sent them off of a 52 Hudson Wasp.
    They agreed to drop the charge being as they were not "flash chroming" the trim.
    What is your guys take? Was this process only done on certain cars or ??

6. NORSON

NORSON

Sounds like its a standard per job fee they charge to cover their waste costs. In auto dealerships they charge for "shop supplies" and "hazardous waste" expenses. Generally they are charged as a percent of the bill (10%??) or more whether justified or not. Kind of neat. Charge for disposal of waste oil, then use it to heat the shop. It can be a profit center.:rolleyes: A plating shop would have very real hazmat costs, but what is their real cost?
    Norm

7. Studegator

Studegator

I can see the hazmat fee when chrome plating, but not polishing. You are not stripping any plating off as in the re-plating process. It was a 5% fee for copper/nickle surcharge.
    I'm not aware of any Hudson that ever had "flash chrome" done at the factory.
    suspect just another Profit center as you allude to.

8. NORSON

NORSON

Got to thinking about this hazmat issue. How is the old plating removed? Is the plating process reversed? Are the copper, nickel and chrome collected on electrodes? And then recycled? Are the acids used in the process recycled? I don't know I'm just curious.
    Norm

9. I've spent the last 30 years as a machinist, to me, flash chroming is an industrial process of adding a layer of chrome (no nickel or copper) about 1/2 to 1 thousandth thick to a shaft to get it in tolerance. Often used on bearing journal repair. This process may have crossed over into the automotive area as a cheap, quick fix, but I don't think it would look very good, as it isn't thick enough to polish.

10. quiettfxgt

quiettfxgt
    from london

Sounds like its a standard per job fee they charge to cover their waste costs.[​IMG]

11. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I took a piece of heavy s/s wire cloth to my plater to ask about chrome plating it and he just dipped it in the chrome tank and said that was al it needed. I would guess that is flash chrome plating

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Don't they also call that hard chroming? Same as flash?