Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tempest 4 cylinder 4-Barrel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by restorit, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Ice man

Ice man

I believe the trans axle is an iteration of the Corvair trany and differential. The problem was the shaft between. LOL

2. I dogged an new BMW M3 on the interstate... I was in much more danger than he with my 560-15 trailer tires, drum brakes and 25 year old (at the time) steering parts. I had to run premium or it would knock, so I assume it was the 10.25:1 version... sounded like a tractor though.

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Nothing wrong with the driveshaft on those cars, they actually worked quite well. Their biggest shortcoming was the swing axle rear suspension, the wheels could get seriously off camber in corners if you weren't paying attention. In 1963 they improved the design of the rear suspension, but that lasted only one year and they went to a conventional design in 1964.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yeah, the Pontiac Performance Manual that HRM put out in '63 has an article about how to try to combat the design flaws of the rear suspension. I must confess that I scared myself in my '62 a couple times.....somehow, I escaped rolling it.

5. carbking

carbking

I bought one years ago because it had the original SD Carter 625 CFM carb (I had a buyer for the carb). Took off the 625 and replaced it with a Carter 400 which really woke up the engine.

Don't remember if anyone ever circle-track raced one of these, but the original SD carb was TOO BIG for running on the street.

Jon.

6. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

definitely a cool motor I'd grab and mothball. I wonder if it runs a v8 cam...using only half the lobes? Hahaha... V8 distributor with only half the wires connected!

7. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Picture above of blown motor sure looks like V8 distributor to me ??

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. jusjay

jusjay

Mickey Thompson was guy. He build a 4 cyl and half of 4 dry lakes car call the Attempt I & II. There both at the NHRA museum in Pomona along with the Challenger I. Mickey also back in the day ran a 4 door tempest with a 4 cyl 471 gmc blower motor, 3 speed. Car ran 13's and beat nearly everyone before they kick him out of the running in the "stock" class!!!!

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

There were two distributor styles; one looked like a 4 cylinder distributor and the other looked like a V8 distributor with a cap that had every other wire tower blanked out. That'd be a good way to screw someone up....drop one of the 4 cylinder distributors in their Pontiac V8 and put the 8 cylinder cap back on it!

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've had them apart....definitely an 8 lobe cam. Same length and bearing diameter, though.....

11. SlamIam

SlamIam

A close friend had a maroon 4cyl x 4bbl x 4spd Tempest in HS in 1966. Unique shifter feel with the long tube to the trans-axle. Sounded like a tractor. Another friend had a Pontiac Sprint with the 4bbl OHC six that would rev to the moon. Sound of that one gave me goose bumps. Don't see either of these much anymore. Most 16 yr old kids where I grew up didn't have the wherewithal to own a V8 back then.

12. Neat car, I can imagione that will be bought up as complete. That little engine is exactly as stated, half a 389. Any hi-perf Pontiac head will fit on it.

13. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

Those engines had a habit of eating timing chains worse than the V8. They'd wear out and flop around. Pontiac had a tensioner kit that used shoes on both sides of the chain and two coil springs to pull them together, and we did these regularly.

14. A V8 cam will fit in the block but, will not run because of different firing order. Tempest 4s had flat 180degree cranks. V8s had 90 degree cranks.
    Many V8 parts work though- dist, lifters, rods, pistons, bearings, t chains, etc, etc. Over the decades, many have even used half of more modern V8 intakes as well. V8 header fits too.

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

That was a rather fun item,...Although, in it's day , a lot of guys ignored it. Someone said that because it's half of a Poncho V8, you could use one of the V8 cams in it ? If true, half of the lobes would be dong nothing.

Has anyone heard that story ?

4TTRUK

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Oops..... i missed the "cam" post.... Forget the question !!!

4TTRUK

17. eppster

eppster

Two guy's ran them in 32' Ford mods at Sportsman's Raceway Park, Colorado Springs, Colorado, in the mid 60's. Rules were flatheads, in-line sixes or four cylinders. They were very competitive and had a very wild exhaust sound at high rpm. One of the guys raced under a different name because he was a Colorado Springs cop. No names because thats all I remember !

18. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Years ago, I ran across a vendor at Carlisle that was selling a pile of parts from a Tempest four powered rail, including an Edelbrock Torker for a Pontiac V8 that had been cut in half and welded shut.

19. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

My dad had a Tempest wagon with the four-banger/3 speed manual tranny in it.

20. Yep, and finding that tensioner kit today would probably be nearly impossible. I had one of these in the mid-70s and it was hard to find then (and expensive...). Best bet these days would be a gear drive.

21. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I had a '62 Lemans coupe in '82 and, even then, I had to jump through hoops to come up with brake shoes for it. It also needed rear shocks, and thank God for the guy at Carlisle that had piles of N.O.S. Delco Pleasurizers.

22. indyjps

indyjps

Any major issues converting this to pontiac V8, th400, 9" rear - standard drivetrain set up? Looks like a decent car and a convertible, the engine is cool but I'd sell it to someone else. Or just use it in an open hood hot rod.

23. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

You should go over to the Performance Years (PY) tech forums...all PONTIAC, sign up and do a search. Tons of info on that subject. Not simple and not cheap according to what I've seen on the threads.

24. r53

r53
    from Denver

Let us not forget the old scout 800 with the 1/2 a 345 !!!!

25. pontman

pontman

Gear drive does not work well in these engines. If you don't believe me try it.

26. pontman

pontman

27. GRX

GRX
    from MD

Ahhh ... the good old Pontiac "Hay Baler". Timing a bit off they'd buck like their namesake. They can perform quite well in the right hands. Nunzi does better with them than many guys with their v-8's.

> Nunzi's 1963 4 Cylinder Super Duty Tempest <

http://youtu.be/zYkb542laiM

28. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hey Restorit, grab the grill and valance panel off that Tempest for me will ya? Ha, ha. They look a little better than mine.
    I've been dressing up one of those 4 cyl Pontiacs for display in my shop 'cause it always gets comments. (My Tempest is getting a 400, a 4 spd, and a '57-64 Pontiac rear end) I noticed the timing chain tensioner and thought it was pretty cool but I didn't know it was an add-on.

29. bchcytbob - Sorry, you gotta buy the whole thing to get the valance and grille!

GRX - Saw the video. Nice! The engine doesn't sound like most 4 cylinders.