Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

Does anyone here have a photo of the number 9 midget driven by Rich Vogler in the 1970-1971 seasons... he raced it in the Wisconsin BADGER series? Thanks for anybody who might be able to help....

2. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

I think this is the car with Rich running it? :confused:

Attached Files:

3. racer5c

racer5c

thats not Rich and it can't be 70 or 71 because I see a VW in the pic, first VW was in 73

4. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

...'Yeah Roy, not only is it not Rich but, it's Chuck Gurney in the Dan Pool Cosworth-Vega #9. And both of the other cars are VW's with the outside car being an LTC.

moe#69, 'Thanks for the pic, though. It's great! It looks like Chuck's got the helmet strap on for the high bank tracks? I can't be positive what track that is? Eldora? Also, please let us know how you're coming on the Badger?

5. Dr Dirt

Dr Dirt

Anybody going to Havasu 95 speedway Feb. 8th & 9th

6. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

[​IMG]

7. jimbslim

jimbslim
    from alaska

A friend's mom has this Jennings midget car and we're looking for people that would know more about these race cars. Apparently this one was built in 1940 by Oliver Jennings and raced quite a bit back then.

Are there any clubs or interest groups that could offer up and knowledge or link to places to research.

or you can view photos larger here
    http://jimbenning.com/#/hidden/jennings/1/

thanks
    jimbslim

Attached Files:

8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Wow jimbslim, that is one beautiful car. I love the flattie accoutrements like the water manifolds on the aftermarket heads and the split intake. Very cool.

9. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Alls I can say is “WOW”!!!!!!!!!!! ( Hope to have some photos of the badger soon....) :)

Attached Files:

10. moe#69......great photo.....love to see some more... :)

11. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Happy Valentines Day! Milwaukee Mile........:D

Attached Files:

12. Dr Dirt

Dr Dirt

Anybody going to I-10 speedway in blythe,CA.

Attached Files:

13. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

...Wow, Dr Dirt, thank you for the beautiful shot of the great Johnny Soares! Obviously, you had to be great to be driving for the guy that Johnny was in this pic, George Bignotti!

14. Alfa3

Alfa3

Oh my, I believe I see 5 KK Roadsters in this picture, could you name them? Great photo what year would this be. Thanks for sharing.

15. Dr Dirt

Dr Dirt

Qoute: ...Wow, Dr Dirt, thank you for the beautiful shot of the great Johnny Soares! Obviously, you had to be great to be driving for the guy that Johnny was in this pic, George Bignotti!

That KK car chassis#266 is in my barn right now as I'm getting ready to restore it. Also have an original bignotti stamped block for the project.

BTW That's my dad in it.

Attached Files:

16. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

To: WCVR SC Dist List (email add hidden for security)
    Subj: Blythe Event - Details
    cc. WRA Dist List

Per Billy Shuman- Event Coordinator

Pit gate open Fri. nite (for parking, unloading and overnite) all morning Sat. No practice till at least 1:00 on Sat.
    Hotel Best Value Motel. (760)922-5145 mention Lucus Speedway I-10. 850 w.Hobson Way, Blythe,CA.
    I-10 Speedway website link
    http://www.i10speedway.com/
    Thanks Billy

http://s1011.beta.photobucket.com/u...acy=true&_suid=136115133943408069321479687452

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Anybody have any info on a BOB FIKE?? Ran a rail frame, V8-60 powered midget, #17?

Thanks! J Shaw

BOB FIKE

18. supermod

supermod

Enjoyed seeing the picture of John Soares in the earlier post. I remember John when he promoted Petaluma and Antioch when I competed in the Sportsman Division in the 60's. Enjoyed racing against John Jr. back in the day.

19. Zoera

Zoera

A heads-up to all vintage midget fans who have H2 cable channel. Last night I taped a special called 'Jesse James - Blacksmith", which documents motorcycle builder Jesse James uncovering a Drake cycle engine that was used in midget racing in the 30's to install in a new motorcycle. Plenty of vintage midget footage and visits to a few veteran midget builders/mechanics. Worth checking out...I'm sure it will be re-aired.

20. Dr Dirt

Dr Dirt

Episode was from 2011. I watched it also however I don't have taping capabilities.

21. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Alfa 3, I beleave the year is 1960.. Sorry cant name anyone:confused:

22. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Thats the 2 Howard Linne cars in front, Branson and Tattersall. The light colored car on the outside is Roger Ward in Wilke's midget.

Tony B wins in the third Linne car.

Len Sutton is in one of the roadsters.

23. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

This car I was very familiar with in it's last years of running Vintage events, often coming to the Iowa and Belleville meets from its home in Lodi Ohio.

Imagine my surprise when after several years of its owner in declining health, I was at my first Midwest Oldtimers meet at the Hoosier Hundred last May, and spotted the car!

I quickly made the acquaintance of the new owner, Phil Pete, and learned he had been able to acquire the car, had just picked it up and was on his way home to Florida with it, stopping to display it with the three dozen or so other cars that were there. Unfortunately the car was no where near runable.

On top of that I learned that Phil's dad Fred Pete, had built the car in 1959!

Phil is well into the restoration and I will post some pictures as I am able tonight before leaving town for two weeks in the morning. More on my return.

This post from Joe Gertler was on page 162 of this thread #3342. I had to copy and paste because quoting is not bringing photos with the text for me anymore. Why?

24. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

My mind was also triggered by this situation and wonder if it would be of interest to start a list on here of Vintage midgets (cageless of course) that are currently owned by sons or daughters or other close relatives of original or one time owners of the car.

This of course is a great one to start it out. I personnally know of a number of ohers but will hold off pending opinion and input of others.

26. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

27. Mitch G

Mitch G

This info is from Bill Hill's book "Decades of Daring Midget Racing in the Rocky Mountains" from 2000. A book on most of the history of the Rocky Mountain Midget Racing Assoc. (RMMRA). Hills book, in the bio of Tommy Rice says..."Rice's father Spencer Rice purchased a Offenhauser, A Californian named Tony Morasco, from a wealthy family, had recently returned from a F1 race in Europe, and being a midget buff, had Frank Kurtis build him a car incorporating some F-1 ideas. According to Tommy it was one of a kind KK with changeable ladders in the front and back wheel to wheel torsion bars using a piano pin type fastening, and a long wheel base with engine set back. Rice also said the Offy engine had specially ground cams and was one of the first to use Hilborn Injection." The story gets convoluted with several people trying to buy the car, lawyers getting involved, long story short, Rice ends up with the car, this was in the mid to late 1950's. Anyway, I've heard that Rices daughter, Sandy owns the midget, Tommy Rice and his wife still live in Erie, Colorado. My wife was good friends with Sandy Rice in the mid to late 70's, at that time the midget was still in a garage on Rice's ranch north of Denver. We've been gone from Denver for 9 years, so i'm out of the Colorado racing loop, but last I heard, Sandy Rice still had the Kurtis Offy.

Attached Files:

28. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Dick Betts leading Colby Scroggin, Johnny Moorehouse #27, A.J. Foyt #5, Bernie Schectner, Bullet Joe Garson, & Roger McCluskey.
    <ABBR id=.reactRoot[865].[1][2][1]{comment246457928824375_558460}.0.[1].0.[1].0.[1].[0].[0].0 class=livetimestamp title="Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 8:25pm" data-utime="1362018313" content="February 27 at 8:25pm"></ABBR>

Attached Files:

29. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Here are some more.......

Attached Files:

30. Broken Again

Broken Again
    from CA

Jimmy Bryan, on the cover page, drove for my father in '48, '49 and '50.
    Anything you have on him, I would be grateful.

Steve