Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowered and rolling on 20's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 29, 2009.

1. That thing gives me goosebumps- It is beautiful.

2. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

The Rio Grande Southern Railway built seven of these railcars called "Galloping Geese" during the depression. Goose #2 and #5 were made from 1926 Pierce Arrows. They are still running.

Attached Files:

3. solo_909

solo_909

Thats badass! so mean looking! I want one.

4. pecker head

pecker head

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Seriously OT... here's another dose of odd balls you just won't believe... Gary

Attached Files:

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Jeez, almost forgot my favorite one! Gary

Attached Files:

7. MCM

MCM

Awesome, looks like something right out of a Jules Verne novel...

8. Herdez

Herdez

Dang where do you find this stuff? I love it.

I know a guy in town who builds stuff like this using railroad wheels and old heavy duty industrial motors to converted old trucks. It catches you off guard just like these photos. cool!

9. BStoltz

BStoltz

Dam all these pics are awesome................

10. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

Good call...You hit the rail spike on the head.

Think of the awesome countryside you could see in that thing if you had the tracks all to yourself.

11. jms

jms
    from Chicago IL

So a tractor grille shell on your rod is only traditional if you have a cowcatcher as well?

12. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

There is an unrestored 40 something buick sedan at the Baltimore Ohio Railroad museum here in Baltimore. No cow catcher though.

13. rixrex

rixrex

In the early 70s I was stationed in N.Cal with the Forest Service..Fun was what you made out in the middle of nowhere..We used to take an early 50s Chevy truck(fit the tracks just right) let some air out of the tires and get up on the tracks..We would put a brick on the gas pedal and everybody would get in the back and party off into the desert night..usually would wake up the next morning way out in Nevada somewhere, turn the truck around and head back for breakfast and more beer..We would go on good information about what was an abandoned line of course, we were never surprised with an oncoming train but the chance was always there, thats what made it fun, right?!

14. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

If someone wants to do this on an earlyford with 5.5 bolt pattern, just use the massive 16 inchers from the WW2 jeeps, these had heavy gauge wheels made for emergency railroad use, just take of the tire, and start railing.. :)
    Ofcourse we have the axle width problem..

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Most older vehicles have the very same overall axle widths (track) as standard gauge rr tracks (the other kind), 4ft, 8-1'2" or 56-1/2". Just bolt them on, lock up the steering and go! Same as the jeep's. Gary

16. I like this one, of course I'm biased, it's a 29 Chevrolet.;) Great thread! I like the "Canadian Pacific" vintage logos too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  17. Stovebolt29

Stovebolt29

São Paulo, Brazil.

Attached Files:

18. Hell, thems hip-hoppas think they is da first ones wit da biggie rollerz,.!? Naw, man, I saw an ol' 1800's buckwagon dee oder day wit some 45's on it and they was ridin' durty. Man I gots ta go an hurt someone now.

19. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

There are clubs that organize meets, just like with the cars. They can contract with an active or inactive railroad, and in some cases they own their own 'abandoned' lines for their club members to run on. Tourist roads often allow operating sessions. There are meets all over the country all year long.

Check out 'NARCOA' for the national club. Plenty of videos on You Tube as well: search 'speeder'.

20. Burgy

Burgy

probably not as much Horsepower as the thing I get to drive on the rails

[​IMG]
    4400 hp :D

but in terms of style I think these old inspector cars definitely take the cake

21. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Funny that this thread comes up now, just last weekend I was at the B&O Railroad museum in Baltimore and I saw this Buick...

Attached Files:

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Cool. I had forgot about that one. Looks like you could do one like it for the street using some big Donk wheels in the back and Tyrell F-1 tech in the front - remember their 6-wheel F-1 car? Gary

23. wow I never knew this. I only seen the ones you stand on and move up and down. This is cool. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for sharing.

24. rail jobs .. the discription in the dictionary just got alot longer

25. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Makes you wonder how many cow catchers and 20"steel wheel will be at the Pileup next year.lol.

26. silverdome

silverdome

My cousin told me of tales when they would do this on some old tracks that were rarely used. Of course I believe there was a lot of beer and some insanity involved.

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've been told there are both organized (sanctioned with approval) and outlaw (in the spirit of hobos?) groups that do this even today. They use speeders, hand cars and other contraptions. But running active roads with any sort of gizmo would be outright foolish. There are even groups of coasters that only go down hill (as was done in the long lost past as a paid tourist activity on hilly railroads). They start at the top and coast down enjoying the scenery and a picnic lunch! Good brakes mandatory. Gary