Register now to get rid of these ads!

History mid 1950's drag photos, Moline IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Apr 27, 2009.

1. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Awesome! Thank goodness people took pics BITD so to document what really happened.

2. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

Damn...cool pics! (right click save right click save)

3. PoPo

PoPo

QUAD CITIES..!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew we had history, now I'm going to save some of these and go to my old timers and have them identify the guys if possible! Thanks a ton man.

4. Please post any info you find here. The photos have no titles on the Life website other that "Drag Races in Moline, Ill."

5. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Holy crap!!!! Fantastic pics!

6. RatBone

RatBone

great stuff!!!

7. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

8. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

That's GREAT stuff!
    Cool...REALLY cool pics...made my day examining the details...
    THANKS!

9. yngrodder

yngrodder

I've tried to find info out about the Gear Jammers with no luck yet, The guy who built my car belonged to that club at one time and I hoped someone that used to be in that club might have more pictures.

10. this is a hell of a way to start a thursday. Thanks

11. tractorguy

tractorguy

Awesome doesn't even do justice to these pictures........As a kid growing up in E. Iowa, I went to Cordova Ill. dragstrip in the early-mid 1960's........The pictures say Moline Ill. which is a ways from Cordova......I wonder is there actually was a Moline Dragway ?????
    I see pictures for the Slo-Pokes Club from Dubuque Iowa.....I was born and raised close to Dubuque. I had totally forgotten about that club. Also, Sid's Speed Shop was in Dubuque and I think Sid Pacquette (sp?) was the owner. I need to do some digging with some of the old guys in Dubuque.

12. billythedeadboy

billythedeadboy
    from Alaska

I was born and raised in Moline. I used to run parts for about half a dozen small rod and custom shops around the area. i just forwarded a link to this thread to a bunch of my old timer friends that may be able to shed some light on this.

there are little or no landmarks in the pictures, so its hard to identify where this is(was) located. the only place in my lifetime that it was legal to race in the area was(is) in Cordova. It would be interesting to find somebody that can shed some light on this one, it really hits close to home. i half expected to spot my grandad in his 57 bel air or the 55 second series napco truck(which i have squirreled away in a hidey hole).

13. AWESOME PICTURES! its amazing how clear they came out. good thread

14. PoPo

PoPo

Im so excited I had to come back and look at these again!! My dad used to race at Cordova in the late 60s with a Dodge Dart from Mr Norms and I bet he's seen some of these guys or ride atleast. Great post!!!!

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Awesome!!!! Made my day right there. Some of those pics are just unbelievable!

16. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Man, those are awesome. Isn't that Cadillac Bob in the "Bowlsmobile"? :D And how did they get a picture of Django in the first one?

17. I was born about this time in East Moline........wonder how many of these people were friends of the family,My grandfather was into cars and a barber in town for 45 years

18. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Check out this thread from Nitro Marty for more 50's Cordova pics....

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356411

Awhile back somebody said they didn't build "bobber" trucks BITD, I beg to
    differ...........

[​IMG]

Thanks Marty, hope to meet you someday, I'm a friend of Beintema's.

19. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

This post is freakin awesome I live like 45 miles from moline and actually go there quite a bit and now a few people there! I knew us midwest boys were doin this stuff back then i knew it couldn't be just out west and out east! Man that hits close to home I would have loved to have seen stuff like that when i was young!

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Too Kool!!! This is one thread that should come back up every week. Thanks

21. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

22. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

23. brady1929

brady1929

anyone have a picture of or an actual slo-pokes club plaque?

24. Best I can do.......... get out your magnifying glass.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>1953 Slo-Pokes.
    Bob Willis behind wheel, brother Joe riding shotgun.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    [​IMG]

Pretty good little story over at Rod & Custom
    There's a couple more pictures of 1957 Cordova.
    click on the pictures at the bottom

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/hotnews/0902rc_1934_ford_coupe_readers_rods/index.html

25. [​IMG]

Not sure if this is it. The club jackets do have a similar turtle.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  26. skunx1964

skunx1964

looks like a messy day for drag racing....

27. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

Very cool, thanx' for sharing...

28. Dave Crane

Dave Crane

Guys and Gals.....I found these pics very interesting. I was fortunate to be able to buy the TE 440 Chassis Research car built in 1958/59 by Jay Ohrberg and Dick Stevens, built in Dick's garage in Moline. The car was in good shape when I got it and required very little to put it in top shape. The Car was featured in Rod and Kulture, issue # 9. It is currently in the drag racing exhibit at the Gilmore Auto Museum in Hickory corners Mi. Gilmore is the 5th largest auto museum in America with over 250 beautiful cars. Jay Ohrberg went on to be "Mr. Roadster", producing parts for old Fords. Speedway motors bought the buisness from him, still sells Mr. Roadster parte, and Jay went on to build cars for the movies. He now has a 50 car museum in Ca. full of movie cars. I have spoken with him several times, but I do not know whatever became of Dick Stevens. If any of you guys out that way know of him, could you please send me an email. [email protected] Thanks, Dave

29. Man, I wonder who these pioneers are? How many hot-rod superstars are in these photos?