Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Little Red Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 28, 2008.

1. this one?

[​IMG]

2. striper

striper

When I was at primary school in the early '70s there was a kids book about the Little Red Wagon. I used to borrow it all the time. The same publisher used to do books about mini bikes and go karts too. Wow...what a time warp.

Pete

3. Ebert

Ebert

I cannot see the picture that well....but it is missing the "Roll over" roll cage.

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

This thing?????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  5. Ebert

Ebert

YEEESSSSSSS! That's IT!!!!!!! Apoligies to the BAckup Pickup!!!! AWESOME!!!!!
    THANKS!!!!!!

6. Ebert

Ebert

Mazooma1,

You are amaziing!!! Thanks for letting me relive my youth!!!!!!!!!
    Ebert

7. I fell lucky
    got to see this up close helping out the minimal crew at bir in the 80's i think a trevino was drivin it?( champion auto's show and go 1987)
    there was a big wad of tape on the steering wheel so he would know to center the wheels if they were cocked and there was holes in the floor so if he saw grass or gravel he would lift
    i asked if this was the original and he said .. No .. Dunno which version it was it had aroman numeral no. Painted on it don't remember what that was 5-7 ???

Big magnisium blocks gave the sparks

it was really neat being in it and around it but it also was like a tired ol horse the wear and tear really showed
    after all it was really takin a beatin rode hard and put away wet..

Like a lot of touring match race drag cars , duct tape ,patch panels and rivets kept it goin for so long .... With real courage and nitro...

Ahh the smell of nitro...rubber and hot oil..

8. Still remember seeing it as a kid!!! There was also another Mopar wheelstander,Dart I think, that was red and white striped. Got a pic of that one,Mazooma???

9. Ebert

Ebert

The LA Dart!!!!

Attached Files:

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Here ya go...

Wild Bill Shrewsberry...L.A. Dart

[​IMG]

Here's a neat shot of Shrewsberry on the streets of L.A.
    This was at Keith Black's engine shop in South Gate just off the Long Beach Freeway. It was an open house with a bunch of Chrysler bigshots in attendance...note the suits and ties in the background.
    Anyways, one of the Chrysler bigwigs was looking at the L.A. Dart which was on display, and asked Shrewsberry, "Well whats this thing do, just go fast and make alot of noise?"
    "Wild Bill' said, "Well get in and I'll show you!"

On the floor in this shot is a guy with a shirt and tie, sitting on the floor, holding onto the rollbar going..."Holllly Shiiii...."

[​IMG]

11. solid

solid

nothing wrong w/ that shot. It would be unamerican, and in no way could you be a car guy if you didnt love the little red wagon.

12. 49fleet

49fleet
    from texas

I remember those days from my youth. I built both models the LA Dart and the Little Red Wagon.

13. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Several years back, I got to wondering what had happened to the Little Red Wagon. Back in the day Bill Maverick's audacity inspired me as much as anyone out there--the flint block wheelie bars for the night runs, and the fire-suit-clad, two-handed victory waves said it all--showman extraordinaire!

So I gave Maverick a call at his home in Arkansas; we chewed the cud for a bit and then I popped the question--"Where the hell is the Wagon?"
    He had run several over the years, which were destroyed or warn out, but I was talking about the last one he ran leading up to his retirement.
    He said "It's right out behind the barn in its trailer."
    I asked "what shape's it in?"
    And he said "I can have it to the starting line in one hour, why you got a race?"
    Classic Maverick--sense of humor in tow, he was rearing to go, even though he hadn't had the Wagon out for several years.

Next thing I knew I was touching down in Arkansas where Maverick and his wife, (he calls her "little Doll") were picking me up to go for coffee and doughnuts and see the Wagon. When he opened the door on the trailer I was blown back--it was beautiful? It very well could have made that appointment at the starting line. I spent the morning video taping oral history with Maverick and Little Doll. They met at a drag strip and swore to take care of each other to the end. They have been together in bliss ever since.

Before my visit was over I had bought the Wagon. Maverick knew I was going to be a good caretaker for his legacy, and I knew I had just met a genuine American original, and that we would be friends for a long time. Since then I also bought the clone built for Chrysler that is displayed at Don Garlits Museum in Ocala, and Maverick has paid a visit to Winnemucca, to promote the Wagon at our annual 50's fever rod run weekend.

I knew the LRW was an iconic vehicle but i had no idea that Maverick would sit and sign 5,000 autographs over a three day weekend--yes it's possible if you have Little Doll there keeping things flowing. We had a ball that weekend in my hometown. Maverick is a "real McCoy" and now a good friend. The LRW was also a big hit at the ALL Hemi Reunion back in August. Drop by and see the Wagon anytime at the Flying "A" Garage. Tell them Ralph sent you.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  14. kma4444

kma4444

Cool story about Bill and getting his toy. Thanks for sharing.

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, GREAT stories, antidotes and memories from everyone. Thanks so much for sharing. It's posts like these that makes the HAMB so awesome. A 5 star thread for sure.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Of course you own the last wagon... I should have just assumed. Damn man, you have everything I want. :)

17. Damn to own the LRW.....I thought I did good buyin the Berry wagon 10 years ago but damn cant top the LRW thats what got me into wheelie poppers,never forget the day in the mid sixtys when Maverick did a wheelie in the street in front of Bill Breck Dodge here in Tucson,if I remember right he was havin a serious talk with a couple of Tucson cops when my Dad dragged my ass outa there...........thanks Ryan,great history here

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  18. von Dyck

von Dyck

All the wheelstanders of the mid-to-late sixties where great! My favorite occurred on a windy day at Niagara Raceway Park in Western New York. Gemini Cricket, a 396 powered Corvair pickup pulled up to the line. A gentle rise and fall, rise and fall, rise and fall of the RPM, did this 7 or 8 times - then up came the front end. At about mid-track the cross wind pushed him off the pavement onto the grass and was rolling on the right rear slick only! He brought it down and "bicycled" it on the two right side wheels for several feet, stabilized the truck at speed, and THEN pulled the front wheels again - on the grass - finished the run across the finish line, front wheels in the air! The croud went berserk. A minute later he approaches the grandstand on the return road, stops, as he is bringing up the RPM he pulls the front wheels again and does a full-blown wheely into the pits. Only the one run. Burned into memory.
    Oh, then there's John Petry (Toronto) crossing the finish with a glowing red hot rear bumper on the back of his stock wheelbase '64 Dodge Coronet.

19. Rodster let's see that videotape with Mav and Little Doll...would love to see it...great story and congrats on being the guardian of such an iconic vehicle

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

21. Appleseed

Appleseed

Look close at a few of the earlier pics. Is it still a wheelie if all the wheels are off the ground?

22. Rumor has it that there will be a wheelie truck at Jalopyrama in Baltimore this weekend. See www.jalopyrama.com.

23. 59 brook

59 brook

we saw him at that show and he was very cool with my family and i . when i asked if he would mind if i took a pic with my daughter next to the truck he said no problem and put her inside. i'll try and find the pic and scan it. may my day and my kid's also

24. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

What was the last year that he drove it? I remember seeing him at the dragstrip up in Minot ND about 8-9 years ago.

It was definitely a cool thing to see!:cool:

25. He was doing some pulling with a little Ram truck a few years back.

26. hi-jolly66

hi-jolly66

Wow, I've never seen the old 60's video of the wagon. Golden always put on one hell of a show. First time I saw him run was in about 77 or 78 at Orlando against the LA Dart. Cool to see so many people have such an afinity for the Little Red Wagon.

27. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

cc..

Attached Files:

28. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Thompson Ohio .. 2003

cc

Attached Files:

29. Ol'Sarge