Register now to get rid of these ads!

MAYDAY MAYDAY Banger Meet in is progress...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, May 1, 2008.

1. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

What has everyone been up to this last month in Banger-land?
    My month has been mostly spent getting the T Touring body mounted to my A chassis. Fitting the body was easy enough, but sorting out the floorboards, fuel tank and steering all takes time.
    [​IMG]
    Don't like the matt black paint, but the body is quite poor in places and the rattle can finish hides it quite well :eek: Plans are afoot to restore the body over the next year or so, one panel at a time, so it doesn't have to come off the road for a long time.
    [​IMG]
    Built a subframe under the cowl to support the upper steering mount, as these bodies have very little integral strength, and everything feels much tighter now.
    Hoping to get some video footage shot, if it ever stops raining over here...:rolleyes:
    Also got word that my Tudor will finally reach these shores during May, so hopefully there will be an update from me later on in the month.

2. slim53

slim53

That thing rules. I would've never guess it'd have a quick change either. It looks like an absolute blast.

Slim

3. That is cool! My very first hotrod, in 1963, was almost identical to that, the only difference being it had a 1934 V8 mill and leopard skin seat covers! :D

4. wak53

wak53
    from aus

There's nothing wrong with a body thats poor in places have you ever seen me.

5. wak53

wak53
    from aus

no one awake in banger land

6. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I guess I will be joining in on these threads. I just got a 26 T touring that was a restoration project. Plans were for an A chassis update. Now I am thinking about building it similar to the Hop Up T Touring. Then I think about leaving it on the T chassis and lowering it like the one in Hop Up #4 annual.

7. Wildfire

Wildfire

I hear that my banger will be headed my way soon. The rest of the car is coming along - sorting out the steering now.

8. Magnus B

Magnus B

I'm sorry for the blurry pic. But finally I found one!!!!! :D

Attached Files:

• G28T.jpg
      G28T.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
  9. Keep looking - we ALL need one...

10. Looks really great.
    Having it like that doesn't make it so bad that you sold the coupe body!

Needs aprons!! Longer '28/'29 ones...

11. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

For me,...

The engine's home from its rebuilding, safe and sound.
    (Thank you God!)

Finally picked up my Roadster body!! (whoo Hoo!,...and does it ever look SWELL!)

All chassis parts ware sand blasted (well at least 99.9% of it)and is ready for some paint! Brakes have been redone all around,..(KUDOS to Mr. Bill Buckmeyer!! Brake man extrordinaire for hooking me up with a wonderful set of new brakes!!!)
    I put together a website for our club as some of you know already,

www.hotironclub.com

which gives us a home other than the humble beginnings of the wepage we had on myspace which can still be viewed.

Club's always interested in meeting new people with the same mindset and passion for the history of early speed as we've been meeting various fellows and potential new members!

On a rather sad yet equally important note, my loving grandmother lost her battle with bone cancer and liver failure two days ago. She was more than ready to go, as she told us with kind words before loosing her ability to speak...It was simply all of US who were not ready to let her go home!
    She may as well been my second Mother, as I grew up as much in her home as I did my own,..and as I was always thought to be one of her kids.
    She will be missed beyond any words penned by man could hope to express!

And as such a woman of integrity, love and unyielding strength unmatched by any I have seen, I have been jotting down some specs, ideas and musings of a modified roadster aptly conjured in the recesses of my mind as a tribute that can, and will be built with the same passion, love and endurace she showed me right untill the end.

The "Theodosia" roadster.

Stay tuned!...
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

12. Despondent seeing this in the yard - well - at least I had the T to play with in the snow...

[​IMG]

Engine out to freshen up and... oh dear! Lumps-o-piston&#174; in the sump, piss poor whitemetal job had come loose.

Month on - shiny things!

[​IMG]

I'd been saving this diamond B engine I bought from Artiki for a rainy day. Well, rain, snow, sleet and hail, that day was here. A quick port, skim, hone, re-ring, scrape and shim - new valves reshaped and bumped by a mildly ground cam. All capped off with the Thomas head I'd been using as a doorstop. Have to find something else to hold the door open when this summer arrives...

[​IMG]

Flywheel skimmed, V8 clutch, shakedown mode with the original ignition and manifolds. Fires first punch of the button. Woohoo. Chuffed. As did the exhaust...

[​IMG]

Those plug leads - just ask and I'll make you a set too!

Whilst out shopping, found this sitting on a pallet waiting for a freshen up. A Gaz hunk of iron over at Belchers.

[​IMG]

13. Is that a G28T at Belchers?

Stock ignition? You can't have a stock ignition on that race engine!

14. Nope - it's a Gaz lump. Don't worry - the ignition is going all weird soon...
    Race engine? Hahahaha. You're so funny.

15. I should (fingers crossed) have my coupe on the road Saturday :) Got done with all the undercarrage mods, tranny swap, and hydrallic brakes installed. All I have to do is run the steel brake lines up front, then bleed em and drive :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In case anyone missed it, I started with a dropped axle and hydrallic brakes. Then put in a rebuilt 2 tooth box, and had to do some machine work to get the banjo wheel and light rod to work. Got the rear end checked out (had a bent outer housing!!!) and put a T spring in it. Also put a V-8 tranny in it as well. All I have left is the B engine install, but this will work for now! The car now sits EXACTLY how I wanted it to ;)

16. wak53

wak53
    from aus

Chris that looks perfect the right stance whats your plans for the engine

17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Neat stuff as usual, guys!

18. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Working on my uncles 1914 T race car this month. Trying to get it ready for Antique Nats. Car has been sitting for 25 years. Uncle got proded by club members to get it going. We started it and it ran, but had intermitent firing problems so we decided to do a quick tear down to replace a leaking head gasket and do a quick inspection.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everything inside looks good. Lots of shim under all bearings. Can hardly looks used.
    Bad news is the drive gears for the side drive Mag are toast!!! All worn bad. Probably why we were having ignition problems.

Any one know where I might be able to get replacment gears for a Bosch side drive magneto adapter?

19. phlip

phlip

chris car looks bitchin'... I like it without the caps and rings. Stance is perfect!

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

I love that cover on the back, nice!!!

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

[​IMG]

I dig the cover.

Does anyone know someone in So Cal that does tonue covers?
    I was looking to get one done for my RPU

22. xadamx

xadamx

I love these banger meetings...lots of good info and tastey pictures to check out. Here is the situation I am in...I have posted this in other places to get some answers:

OK, here's the deal. I just got a bone stock 1928 coupe that had been restored a few years back. I wanted to get a little pep out of the stock 4-banger(which has been totally rebuilt with sleeved cylinders, lightened flywheel, and balanced) so I put on an exhaust header, and Ansen downdraft intake with a 97 on top, and a Winfield 6.4-1 head. I also switched to plug wires and a high-speed distributor cap. Now the car won't start. Battery is charged, all's well. It just seems like the starter is struggling to barely make a rotation and doesn't seem to have the balls to start the old girl.

-Is the added compression making it hard on the 6V starter to do it's job?

-Is there a remedy?

Someone told me I could find a 8V battery and throw it in there, and adjust the brushes in the generator to charge. Should I just do a 12v conversion? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance...

Adam

23. Thanks for the comliments guys!
    Philip, I like the no caps/ring look as well...but do have a set of Mercury caps and rings that will be on it (see center pic, front wheel)

24. Heres the B that will be in it shortly...

[​IMG]

25. I don't think it's the compression, 6V batterys turn over higher compression V-8's and such. Check your connections. Did you switch and cables? 6V cars require large battery cables, too small of one will make it act like it is not fully charged up. Also, did you do anything to the internals of the car? Maybe something internally is binding?

26. What spindles are you running Chris? I bought some '42 caps and popped a not-so-neat dent in the first one I tried slamming on... Seems A spindles are longer than later ones - those Mercury caps any deeper?

27. Yeah, they are deeper, but I am also running 42-48 square spindles up front, so it would not matter much.
    I belive 1936 and earlier were a longer spindle shaft than 1937 and later.

28. Traffic Violator

Traffic Violator
    from Bangerland

Just had an email from Macs saying my order has been shipped so it should be here within a week and I can see if I can get the fat spark back... I've had my 29 sedan two weeks and I only got it running for 7 minutes.... a few almighty back fires through the exhaust and bugger-all since.

29. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

Started putting the Willys 4 banger speedster back together for the last time hopefully, stripped it down painted the chassis with POR15 great stuff, engine back in. Will try to post some picks when it is on it's wheels.
    Bought another project it is a Ford 4 cylinders and valves in the block but not what you guys are used to (A 45 GPW) needs lots of work previous owner was called Bubba but has all important F scriped parts and chassis engine numbers won't bore you with pics.

Putting the Phaeton up for sale to fund the GPW resto but hope to get to a few shows in it before it goes.
    Rich

30. Elrod

Elrod

I'm still running the stock Model A spindles. I put 40 Ford caps on the front of mine. I noticed the same thing that there was barely a clearance issue. I actuall drove mine around the block and wore a very slight dimple in the middle too.

I took an angle grinder with a stone on it and ground off the ends of my spindles, taking off about 2 - 3 milimeters of material on the front. The caps then went on and there is no clearance issue. There is still enough metal to hold the cotter pin in place so the front castle nuts do not back out.

The back axles are MUCH longer and the caps won't go on. I could grind the same and get a shorter castle nut, but I would be getting too close to the cotter pin hole and don't want to do that. A machinist could drill a new hole further in toward the center of the car, and that would work with the shorter castle nut. Haven't done that yet though.

[​IMG]