Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alex DiDia/Bobby Darrin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Benzine440, Nov 15, 2006.

1. I'm looking for pictures of the car Alex DiDia created for Bobby Darin. Detailed closeups are welcome particularly of the interior.
    I know the St. Louis Museum of Transportation has the car now but I didn't find much info. What chassis and drivetrain does it use?

I understand the original paint contained diamond dust. Interesting! Have any of the Mad Painters here used this or other exotic ingredients in paint jobs? I always thought fish scales were pretty far out but what do I know.

I like that the car has not got a name of it's own, just the Alex DiDia car or the Bobby Darrin Dreamcar. Correct me if I am in the wrong.

2. I think his first name is Andy if I remember correctly.As for diamond dust I used it briefly in the early 70's in clear.It is basically industrial diamond and while it imparted a pretty good sparkle(best over black or dark paint)it destroyed spray nozzles very quickly.Had to put marbles in the paint cup and continuosly agitate it otherwise the particles would settle to the bottom.Prismatic flake does a much better job today without damage to the nozzles.

3. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I jus' love it!
    At a Mooneyes show a few years back, George Barris had his
    sales table set up next to Gene Winfield's. George had a photo
    of the "Bobby Darrin/DiDia" vehicle, there on his table. I had
    been interested, for some time ,to learn anything I could about
    the builder of this killer kustom. I asked George "who was the -
    builder", he said "we'' built that car! george didn't offer any more
    details. I than moved on to Gene and asked the same question.
    When I told Gene,"George said he,Barris Kustoms?built the car,
    Gene said" oh hell, George has been tellin' that lie for fourty years"

Swankey Devils C.C.

5. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

that car was at the detroit autorama three years ago. i met andy didia there as well,,,couldn't have been a nicer guy. still a sharp dresser too at 80+ years old (i think he was a clothing designer or something back in the day). he didn't build the car for bobby darin,,,he just let him drive it around for publicity....the car still looks great.

6. mojo273

mojo273
    Member Emeritus

I work for the parks dept. in St. Louis, I can get over to the museum and get whatever detail pics ya want. P.M. me with details.
    Charlie

7. Yes! Wow! Thanks for posting that Big Daddy. I wonder what it was like to drive? It looks great just standing still. I can see some Ghia Studio styling cues there.

The dash and control levers are tres chic. You would always have to be impeccably dressed to ride in it and never let it get dirty.

8. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I seem to recall it being called the DiDia 150. Something about having 150K in the design and build. I've seen Andy DiDia hanging with George Barris at different times. Stu

9. From what I know, the Alexander Bros built the car.

10. Rikster

Rikster

As far as I know Clarkaiser built that car.

Amazing car... not my style though
    Photo's from the net...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. roddinron

roddinron

12. I stand corrected, you are correct Clarkaiser built the car. At least I was in the right town.

13. DrJ

DrJ

From what I understand, the car was started around '49 or '50 and took 11 years to finish.
    All metal finished aluminum.
    Pretty wild if you compare it to a shoebox!

It was in R & C in Dec 61

14. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    Damn, eleven years to finish! Now I don't feel so bad about
    not finishin' some of my projects in that amount of time.

Swankey Devils C.C.