Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Old28

Old28

One of these days you are going to do something crazy and hang one of those "real steel" body's on that OUTLAW ha/gr and have the first HAMBster Competition Coupe in MN.:D:rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer with my buy of the car in MN, deal is off for now, timing not right. May still try again in spring if he still has it.

2. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been looking at some old magazines and a crosley body sitting in a local bone yard and thinking of doing the same thing. I have just about completed gathering the parts for a basic HA/GR and hope to start working on the sub-assemblies after the holidays.

Anyone have any thoughts on what would be a good master cylinder to use for an 8.8" Explorer rearend with the wide brake shoes?:confused:

3. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    I'd say get that Crosley body, RacerRoy3. Here's a pic I took in about 1963 at Minnesota Dragways, for your viewing pleasure.

4. Old28

Old28

I would say, change the tires to Coker L78-15 bias and run a legal HA/GR motor and trans and that would be a great HAMBster C/C.:D

Great picture Bob, I think we are going to see more HA/GR & SDRA cars with body's in the near future. Good for the class interest.;)

5. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great picture bobw.:D That is almost exactly what I had in mind.

I thought that a comp coupe or roadster body would add a little more individuality to an HA/GR. From the cheap seats they can kind of look a lot alike. Besides, it will allow more space for sponsor ads!:D You gott'a think positive.

It will make it a little more interesting for us fat, old farts to get into the drivers seat though.

I forgot to add to my question about master cylinders that I plan on using a hand brake.

6. old sparks

old sparks

welcome to the dare to be different side. i,too am building a body type sdra car. i have a 23 t hanging from the rafters but am waiting for a friend to build a bantam coupe for me. just a word of caution, a glass body just disapears and a steel body turns into a bunch of knife blades when you hit the wall. take it from the word of experience. when it comes to the brakes, i ran a 28" handle with a 7/8" mc and could barely hold it in the lites at an idle of 2000 rpm(5000 convertor). Good luck with your build.

7. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the welcome aboard old sparks.:D

I am planning on going the clutch route and sticking to the rest of the HA/GA rules. I am just worried about getting it whoa'd up.

I want to try to use a period OEM cylinder if I can find a fairly easy install. The early '50's Mopar ones look interesting but try to find one.

As far as your advise about hitting the wall: I always believed "if it ain't steel, it ain't real".:D

8. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    While the dragster is in cold storage. And I mean cold, cold storage as it has been below zero every night for over a week, I continue to put this thing together. It has a 292 Chevy 6 in it.

9. Old28

Old28

Bob, that Reo is one low-Low Ride. If I got in you would have to winch me out with an overhead Crane. Love the look, and a 292 inline 6, it don't get much better.;)

I new it was super cold at your place as I talked to my grandkids in MI last week and it had been 22-28 in the day and 5-10 at night. They love it (snow days out of school). My son has his business just outside of Detroit, about a 30 min normal drive, last week he made it to work only 2 days after 1 1/2 hour drive.:eek:

Still working on trailer, been raining so I can't weld outside, hope to get more done next week.

10. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    While the dragster rides the winter out in the back garage (still cold and lots of snow on the ground. Rain and snow predicted for 5 of the next 7 days) I built a hood, frame covers and side panels with cute little doors for the Reo.

Enjoyed the March Meet on Bangshift.com video streaming. Too bad Friday was rained out.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Dayum Bob. You do some fine looking sheetmetal work. That's gonna be one cool push truck.

12. Old28

Old28

Bob, That is one fine looking hood & side cover you put together on the Reo. Are the doors lever operated? With a 292 L6, it don't get any better for a hot rod.;)

I am looking for an older 50's or 60's pickup or panel and found two in Las Vegas Craigslist (65 & 68 that had 292 motors, one with a 700R OD trans and the other with HD 4 speed on the floor). Still got to sell my Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab Dually.

Ya the march meet was real good, The boys from out of state took it to the CA group. Funny Car to Alberta, Canada & TF back to mid west. It has rained one day of the race for the last few years. It was clear and 80 deg the weekend before and it's going to be the same this weekend. Timing is everything. Bangshift is real cool for people that can't make the race.

13. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Since my dragster is still trapped in the back garage by a mountain of snow, I thought I'd pass along this pic of a very early "HA/GR". A friend sent it to me today. I'd love to pull into the tech lane with it!

Still plugging along on the Reo hot rod.

Good luck on selling the truck and getting a vintage unit to tow the dragster, Old28.

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Bob, I love it. And I'd drive'er in a heartbeat (gravity pumps gas just fine). :cool:

And I'd love to run it by Papa Joe, he'd get a kick outta it (he couldn't let it run of course, but he'd enjoy it). :D

15. bobw

bobw

It finally quit raining long enough so I could move some cars around and get the dragster into the shop. The 3-1 barrel Holley carbs will be installed in a few days. Sure hope this set up works. If the engine runs good and the untried transmission shifts (I put a shift kit in it myself), then its off Test and Tune.

I'm registered to run at the Meltdown Drags near Rockford, Illinois the middle of July. Would like to run half way decent.

I ran across this little orphan in a junkyard, 1965 Land Rover 88 inch wheelbase & it followed me home.
    [​IMG]
    Ir won't be 4WD when I get done with it.

16. Old28

Old28

Well Bob, I have been out here in MI for about a week, so far it has rained over 4", Had a dozen thunder/lighting storms and a tornado sat down in town on Tue night. I can't wait to see what the next month brings. I'm starting to love the 100 deg spring & summers in Bakersfield.:D:D:D

Is the Rover next winters project? Two wheel drive with a 292 & HD 4 speed? Is your pickup done? Pictures please. I'm looking forward to getting home in July so I can work on the suburban and the race car.

17. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Bob there are other HA/Gr cars registered also....looking forward to checking it out in person!

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

88" wheelbase! That Land Rover is screaming to become an altered! :D

19. bobw

bobw

I'm gonna stretch the Rover wheelbase to at least 90". Whoopee! It'll be a regular driver. It goes into storage til winter. Sorry it won't become an Altered. I've got too many race cars now and I hardly ever race.
    Tom, the Reo is completely disassembled. Currently doing final assembly on the chassis.
    Falfa, I was pretty sure 2b-Banjo from around Wisconsin Rapids was coming. Looking forward to the event. Even if I run poorly it will be fun to watch everyone else.

Weather has been so cold and rainy here that there has not been one opportunity to go to the drag strip. And it's June already.

20. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Finally got the dragster moved into the front garage. Today I put the three Holley 1 bbls on it. I had rebuilt them last fall, made a new top plate for the manifold and did most of the fuel lines and throttle linkage. Finished all that today. I was quite apprehensive about starting it because I had such terrible luck with the last set up I built.

Threw a battery in the back and the darn thing started and idled on the first crank! I was a happy boy.:D Now, to see if it revs without the hesitation it had with two previous carb set ups. Then on to some driveway Test and Tune.

Also considering putting an alternator on it and possibly standing the radiator up the way I originally had it.

21. hoffbug

hoffbug

Cool!

Just curious...How do you get the fuel curve and jetting right on a setup like that?

22. Old28

Old28

Intake looks great and sounds like it will work out nice.

What RPM does the motor idle at? When it is idling and you drop it into gear does it drop RPM & how much?

23. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    hoffbug, nice to hear from you. Possibly see you at the strip this summer. I have very little experience tuning multiple carb set ups. A while ago I built a hot rod with 250 Chevy 6 in it. Put 2 1 bbl. Rochesters on a home made manifold on it. I went to The Carb Shop and asked how I should jet them. He said that carbs are pretty smart and the best thing was to leave them alone and see how it runs. It ran great with no changes whatsoever. Hoping for the same kind of luck with the dragster.

Tom, I ran it for 30 seconds because of no coolant in it. I "winged" it a little a couple times and it seemed to respond well. Guessing it was idling at 600-700 rpms. I made no adjustment at all. Just started it and grinned.

Much more to learn. Supposed to rain for 3 days and then I'm going to the Billetproof show a mile from my house so next week will be when I learn a lot.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  24. hoffbug

hoffbug

Bob.. I wont have the Chevelle out this year... I got sucked into the vintage snowmobile thing and have some long neglected home repairs to make. But please let us know when you are taking the Silver Bullet out for testing... If my schedule allows Id like to come down and see it run again

25. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob....You have done a fantastic job on the 'bullet. I personally like the way it looks with the present radiator setup and won't change it unless you have cooling problems.

I hope to meet you at the Meltdown if it isn't too hot. I can't take the heat because of medical issues.

I had hoped to have something running in time to go to Byron but my wife's plans to move closer to the grandkids has caused another delay. Maybe if I live long enough it will happen!:(

I had a real bad experience with a three wheel engine stand the other day. While moving some things around in the shop it accidentally got bumped and dumped a 261 on the concrete!:( Trashed the coil and distributor but I don't know yet if it damaged the block. Why couldn't it have been the one with the 235 on it ????? In the future I will only use stands with four wheels.

26. Old28

Old28

Well I hope the weather stays nice so you can get the car on the track and test the changes, (carbs, intake, trans/converter mod). Sorry to keep bugging you about the RPM issue. Just trying to have all the information I can get so I can talk to my trans/converter guy when I get back.

If you are in the seat with the motor idling 500-600 RPM and the the brake on and you move the shift lever to drive, does the motor RPM drop? and how much?

My motor wants to idle in the 900-1050 RPM range and with the brake on, when I shift to drive the RPM drop to 500-550 RPM. I still think it is in converter and it is way to tight ( no stall slippage ). Then it may be a combination of the 94 carbs needing to be properly set and the converter needing to be losened up.

I'll get it ironed out, just takes time.;):rolleyes:

27. bobw

bobw

Hoffbug, sounds like you have a full plate this summer. My grandson and I started on a vintage snowmobile project for 4 H project but he wasn't into it. He likes the 100 MPH machines.

Roy, Looking forward to meeting you. I just had about 20 pre-cancer spots frozen off my face and forearms last Friday. I could play in a Zombie movie right now. Doc says to wear a wide brim hat, use sunscreen or better yet, stay out of the sun. Thanks for the kind remarks about the dragster.

28. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah bobw. It's hell having a young mind in an old body. I guess that when we were born our parents should have gotten the extended warranty. :D

29. bobw

bobw

Tom (Old28), please forgive me for ignoring your post above. It was not intentional. Another sign of the onslaught of old age.
    Not much time today to mess with the thing. I did put it on jack stands and fire it up. Idled nice and had very good throttle response. I stuck it in gear and it gave a brief stumble and evened out, a little lower RPM than in neutral. No tach on it so not much good information available. Sunday when there's help here I'll try to video the above procedure and stick a dwell/tach on it to get some readings.

I can say that it behaves much better than when I had the 2 Carter BBD 2 barrels on it.
    Makes me cautiously optimistic, as they say.

It seems like 2nd gear is missing. Will look at the shifter cable adjustment. If that isn't it it is probably a botched throttle body mod by me. Will probably put a stock one in and let it shift itself.

30. Old28

Old28

No problem Bob, I'm 2500 miles away from the car and just trying to get my "ducks in a row" on this Carb/Converter operation. Don't go out of your way, but thanks for any information. ;)

Good luck with the new setup, it can only get better.:D