Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Tucker, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

You and your dads respect for your grandfather and the cars he loved are more of a gift to your grandfather than a completed car would have been. Im sure he couldnt have been prouder !

2. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

thanks Man, ive been watching your 55 chevy tailight treatment on instagram too, great work, looks very natural. rob_ida on instagram

3. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

Thanks, we like to believe you are right. He didnt get to drive it, but he knew we did it!

4. gyronaut

gyronaut

;)

Here's why I'm confident that Alex would be loving what you've already done: When the FWD Toronado came out, he saw all sorts of possibilities for that engine/drive combo. Keep in mind he was taught directly by John Tjaarda in the 1930's about the advantages of a rear-engined, rear wheel drive setup. His favorite that he talked about would have been to put the 1971 375HP/475ft-lbs Toronado engine into the rear of an existing Tucker. And then he suggested pushing the Toronado even further:

"This engine would fit nicely in the Tucker without encroaching on the rear seat and mounted directly over the rear wheels would be located exactly as Preston Tucker intended the original 589(ci) to be. This engine adapts itself to turbocharging and at 600HP would put 480HP to the rear wheels. It would boggle the mind equipped with Bonneville racing tires as it would break into the 200MPH club."

Maybe the last hope to attempt something like that with an original would have been with a pre-restoration #1046, the one that was on a Mercury sub-chassis. That one has since gone on to a full restoration, though, so it's not a possibility anymore. However, with what you're doing... ummm... well... it's still not totally out of the question: You've already done it with the Lower '48.

Imagine "Bombshell Betty" (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727040) side-by-side with a race-prepped Tucker on the salt! It would be like Superman vs Batman, da Bulls vs da Bears, matter vs anti-matter. Just planting a seed that someday may bloom at Bonneville...

It seems everyone has a story about the first time they saw a Tucker, whether in person or in a magazine. You're bringing that excitement back. The cars you are building keep the rest of us dreaming. I can't wait to see the next ones. Beautiful craftsmanship!

5. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

Thanks very much. Your Grandfathers work on designing the Tucker is truly a milestone for American Automotive design, but just a small part of what Alex Tremulis accomplished in his life.

We appreciate the support and like to think that forward thinking pioneers like Preston Tucker and Alex Tremulis would be amused with the things we are doing with their designs. Earlier in this thread someone asked me why I'm not using a helicopter engine. I do think its a cool idea and probably will build one that way at some point, but I'm more interested in improving the layout of the car. the mid-engined design has a 50-50 balance and works quite well. I do want to build a Tucker Bonneville car and have been talking withj Sean Tucker (Preston's Grandson) about the design.

Thanks for the endorsement, I'd like to speak to you more privately at some point. Here are a couple of things that we were fooling around with for a movie car a while back.:D:D

Attached Files:

6. i was at some of the filming of the Tucker movie in Petaluma Speedway
    i watched the rollover seen
    my AA Wrecker was going to be used but it glared in the camers
    there is more storie for a diferent day

7. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Having worked on Franklin engines in the Bell 47G and Hiller 12C helicopters, I suspect that its use was a way to get an engine that was available at the time for the Tucker 48s that was not controlled by any competing automobile manufacturer. The later Franklin 6V350 had a lot of power for weight and size but suffered from cylinder fractures and it is a b!tch to get the intake manifold aligned after an overhaul. It was a high strung engine with high compression and high camshaft lobe profiles by comparison the Lycoming engines that ended up replacing them. Lycoming engines won out in the end due to larger cubic inch displacement and lower compression ratios that made for a smooth running engine that needed less of a gasoline octane rating to function effectively and making them more reliable. A Polish engine company now owns the Franklin type certificates to these engines but I don't know if they produce any currently.

I've always wondered how they connected the Franklins to a drive system for other than a propeller or main rotor transmission of a helicopter. It would be interesting to see an original Tucker 48 drive train.

8. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Wow! I am speechless!
    Those cars look fantastic!
    Do you have a link to a website that has more build pictures?
    (If you posted one earlier, I apologize if I overlooked it)

9. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Amazing love the Tucker torpedo keep up the great work

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Beautiful work! I'm one of the mentors at the Gilmore Garage Works program at the Gilmore Car Museum here in Michigan. We had the opportunity to do some work on the Tucker movie "mule" that had belonged to George Lucas. This car didn't have a drivetrain, but was fitted with a turntable that lowered from the cabin, elevated the car just off the ground a slowly rotated it. Interesting. The body was VERY rough, but we had some of the kids do some prep and disassembly, and the car was sent off for body work and paint. The result is stunning, and is a great compliment to the genuine Tucker next to in the display.

11. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Just amazing work as always Rob , glad to see you on here as well .

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

thanks, you can see more at www.RobIdaConcepts.com or on facebook at Rob Ida Concepts.

13. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

Thanks Cody good to see you on here too.

14. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

That is is pretty accurate. Preston Tucker developed his own engine, the 589 CID haydraulicly activated valve engine, but was running out of time and need an engine that could be used in his Tucker body rather quickly. He chose the Frankling Engine, and it turned out to be a good choice. He coupled it with a rebuilt Cord transaxle for his short run production.

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Awesome work - great talent . I just watched the YouTube video ... even THAT has me inspired !

16. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

Thanks Buddy! This is where it all began for my family ans Tucker cars. My grandfather's Tucker dealership in Yonkers NYC.

Attached Files:

17. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

I have a June 13th 1948 Minneapolis Star Tribune with a full page add of Mr. Tuckers "An Open Letter" to the Auto Industry by Preston Tucker. It's kool !!

18. Wowcars

Wowcars

Rob, I love what you are doing. I've always been a fan of your skills. Then when I was lucky enough to just happen to sit next to you at the Hot Rod and Restoration show in '10 at the Jack Roush breakfast, I was glad to finally meet you. I hope I can make it down to your shop someday. Keep up the great innovations!

19. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

ho-ly crap! subscribed.

20. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Outstanding !!!!! Please keep us posted,....with pictures,....

4TTRUK

21. Is this a restored tucker or one you guys scratch built? HRP

22. I remember seeing my first Tucker in Las Vegas at the Imperial Palace. It was so cool. I remember thinking this was waaaay ahead of its time with the look and the features. I really admire what you guys are doing....pure awesome! Im subscribing to this thread !

23. BTW,,The first Tucker I have ever been able to be close enough touch was about 5 years ago at out city downtown car show.

I never met the man that brought it but I believe he was out of Atlanta, Georgia.

I was amazed by Preston Tuckers imagination in car design both inside and out. HRP

24. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Never saw one until the new Lemay car museum opened last year in Tacoma. That original example is valued at several million dollars.

Crazy to see them being made again - even one at a time.

And KraZy that 7 were ever in one place at one time in recent history.

;)

25. 01Dudley

01Dudley

Saw the movie and was hooked. What a beautiful car! I have never seen one in person and it is on bucket list to do so. Rob I remember the first one you built(correct me if I'm wrong). Blue, airride, solid billet wheels, and a Northstar. I can't wait to see the Torpedo. It's funny timing with the thread. Mid November when I started Christmas shopping I told my self I need to get the Preston Tucker movie. Still haven't found it locally, so I guess I will just ebay it.

26. Rob, I'm glad to see you on here. Awsome work on the Tuckers. Steel bodies? Incredible.. I'm at a loss for words. I have been a fan your and your dad's work since the 33 willys days. Maybe I will run into you if you are going to Hot Rod and Restoration this year.

27. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! its been a while since ive been on here, just thought i'd give an update as we have finally started on the Tucker Torpedo Concept car.

Attached Files:

28. Road Runner

Road Runner

29. Holy shit ! This is amazing.