Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on the Treit and Davenport liner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyAsylum, Apr 11, 2010.

1. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Update 176: As the reassembly glides along new images of previously seen groups of pieces and places appear. It's fun to revisit them and see them in their Sunday best.

Dave Jeffers is the one that gets the fun of opening the zip lock bags and mating the enclosed jewels with their surrounding neighbors.

Here's the link:
    http://www.target550.com/gallery/176_lock_tail_section_air_fire_lines_cockpit%20floor/index.html

And here are a coupla spare images Freud sent me:

[​IMG]

That's part of the safety lock system for the tail section.

[​IMG]

And this is proof that they don't really use white-out to correct their mistakes. They use a white art pencil. :D

2. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

It's time for an update, this one's number 177:

http://www.target550.com/gallery/177_air_fire_lines_document_storage/index.html

Somebody call a plumber! There's more plumbing in the liner than I realized...and it's all going back together. Honestly, it's just gorgeous work. That difficult little piece of bodywork that joins the front and rear sections and also has the slots for the air brake is just about done. It won't be long before the body is completely finished.

There's also been a running gag about HumeCad (the CAD program Jim Hume uses to produce the component designs for the liner) which basically consists of a #2 pencil, a straightedge and a T-square:

[​IMG]

The gag's been extended to include an off-site data repository (a shed along the road to Hume's) that's getting a little worse for wear. So the repository will be moved into a new, high-tech facility just down the road a bit:

[​IMG]

The old facility is in the foreground (it seems to have gathered a little too much moss on the roof) and the new one is behind the tree. I'm sure it'll extend the projected lifetime of all the CAD-generated data by hours, maybe even days. :)

Freud also included an image of a lever and control rod, although I'm not sure which one it is. It might be the lever that turns the driver's air supply on and off:

[​IMG]

I'm gonna disappear to watch the Le Mans 24 (yer basic all-nighter) but I'll be back as soon as I have something else to post.

3. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

I just got this from Freud:

Be patient viewers. Arrangements have been started to have the Treit and Davenport streamliner at Speed Week 2012.

It's not set in stone but there is a good possibility.

As soon as something is firmed up it will be posted.

No reason for you to ask a bunch questions because this is all I know.

FREUD

4. derFREUD

derFREUD

That last lever and cable open the panel that covers the rear engine.

FREUD

5. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Friday brings another update, number 178:
    http://www.target550.com/gallery/178_new_little_pieces_finished_rear_wheel_fairings/index.html

Update 178: As the title states, there are more little pieces that have been completed and finally, the rear wheel fairings are going to off to be recreated in carbon fiber. Those fairings seem to have taken forever; it's just been a real big job requiring a lot of fine detail work.

As with the fairings, there are a couple of shots that show the perfection of the bare body skins. As Freud wrote in the caption, "no bondo, no filler, no ripples." I can think of some kustom car builders who wish their bare metal efforts turned out that good.

Finally, the shop has a new security system. He's asleep on the floor in photo number 8.

Here are a couple of extra photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the inline filters for the dry sump oil systems; one set for each motor.

Enjoy,

6. Thanks as always Ray!

7. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Update 179: This week we have another look at the front fairings, then a few shots of the belt/harness that'll be used, new air/CO2 bottles (and mounts) and a Target 550-made bucking bar for a rivet gun where there's very little space behind the rivet.

Seriously now...have you ever seen an engine-turned bucking bar? When you check out the photos on the link you'll be able to say that you have. :)

Here's the link
    http://www.target550.com/gallery/179_fairings_seat_belts_air_bottles/index.html

And here's a shot of a CO2 bottle that's just recently been added. It's for parachute deployment. Thanks to Freud for the correction.

[​IMG]

Enjoy,

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  8. derFREUD

derFREUD

The air cylinder in the foto just above this is to deploy the bottom chute.
    There is no CO2 involved with that cylinder.

9. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Imagine yourself hunkered down on a ridge overlooking Area 51. It's twilight and absolutely still. No wind, no bird calls...only silence. You notice a small movement from the corner of your eye. As you turn your head toward it you see something like the image below moving toward you and rising over the ridge. Silence is still assailing your ears as the thought comes to you, "OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!"

[​IMG]

But it's just the liner's canopy. That's part of the post that landed on the server this morning. There's other stuff, too. Check it out.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/180_july4_rivet_gun_breather_tank_brackets/index.html

10. I would love to see Humes jig for winding the safety pins!

11. derFREUD

derFREUD

It is powered by a chipmunk.

12. Don't stop fellas, it's coming fast!
    Unbelievable attention to detail.

13. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Update 181: This is one of the events we've been waiting for. The assembly of the streamliner has reached the point where the motors are needed. So they arrived at Hume's shop and are being installed now.

A couple of other little things...like making one's own rivets. Doesn't everybody make their own rivets? (Rolls eyes around in his head.) And just a tiny bit of skin stretching. Again, an outstanding piece of work done by outstanding craftsmen.

Here's the link:
    http://www.target550.com/gallery/181_the_engines_have_arrived/index.html

And here are a coupla spare images for your viewing pleasure. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Making your own Rivets!?!?!?! Hume is amazing!

15. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Remember those engines that showed up at Hume's shop? Well, they didn't just sit around collecting dust. They're in the chassis now! Huge step forward!

There are some other items, too: the finalized wheel fairings and a coupla distinguished visitors to Jim Hume's shop.

Check it out! Here's the link
    http://www.target550.com/gallery/182_engine_install_wheel_fairings_visitors/index.html

And here are a coupla spare photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy,

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

People that aren't reading or following this thread (and the parent - linked) are missing out on an incredible education.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  17. You mentioned that the liner might be at Bonneville this year. Will it be ready to run or just on display? I am looking forward to seeing this one. Marlo is quite a character to say the least. Always enjoy talking to him. Thanks for all the hard work you do keeping this build thread up to date. There should be documentery on this build.

18. I was fortunate to get a first hand look at the Streamliner a couple of weeks ago at an open house and was blown away. I had been following it's construction on Target 550 but even my neighbor Freud's fantastic photos didn't prepare me for what I saw. Just totally amazing planning, craftsmanship and ingenuity. I know I walked around the car at least 30 times marveling at it and asking Mr. Hume questions all along the way which he patiently answered. I haven't been to Speed Week since 2006 but plan to be in BVille whenever Target goes for the LSR.

19. superleggera

superleggera

I made the visit a few weeks ago -- some great fabrication work is taking place there and there is some serious talent doing it. The attention to detail and thought process was interesting. I know I learned a few things and that is saying something -- and took photos for my own use. It will be interesting to see this streamliner roll down the course under its own power during testing and upcoming full speed passes on the salt. Should make all the time/effort in building it worthwhile.

And somehow Freud has included me (and crew) in one of the pictures! Hopefully our Ducati powered streamliner will be as impressive as well upcoming when it hits the salt flats...

20. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Here's the Official Viewing Target 550 Schedule.

The Treit & Davenport streamliner will be on display during Speed Week.

From 10:00 AM until 3:00 PM, Saturday August 11th, Sunday and Monday, it will be in the San Diego Roadster Club portion of the pits.

Jim Hume, Marlo Treit, Jason Hosking, Dickie Milne and Korey Bligh will also be there.

Arrangements are being made and it will be announced regarding showing in the evening at the airbase.

The car will be under cover in a 20' x 60' tent on the Salt.

We hope to see you there.

Bring your camera.

21. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Update 183: Front to back as the reassembly continues. Jim Hume is working on chute releases.

The liner is getting closer and closer to its debut at Speed Week. Motor parts are being installed and the tail section is about completed.

Here's a shot of Orville and Wilbur. If ya don't remember them, go back thru the old posts to find out what they do.

[​IMG]

See ya on the salt!!!

Oh! The url. It's here:

http://www.target550.com/gallery/183_front_back_reassembly_continues/index.html

22. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Update 184: Steering. Marlo Treit gives his evaluation of the system.

This is another one we've all been waiting for. Many people have questioned what kind of steering system the liner will use. We haven't disclosed it for a number of reas
    ons, but now it's explained in detail

Only one catch. Ya gotta go to the site to read about it. :) I'll just say that it's the same type of system that the Summers Brothers used on their Goldenrod.

Here's a hint:
    [​IMG]

And the link:
    http://www.target550.com/gallery/184_steering_system_1/index.html

23. stovebolt55

stovebolt55

Jeez, I can't get enough of this build. Crazy cool craftsmanship.

24. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

25. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

26. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

The Treit and Davenport streamliner was on the salt flats for display and a bit of "trial run" testing of the car carrier and the trailer, etc. It didn't compete at that event, but drew a whole lotta attention. In addition to the photos that Freud shot, I made a few myself. Ok, more than a few. A lot. I chose 48 of 'em to use in this week's post:
    http://www.target550.com/gallery/187_rats_salt_flats_photos/index.html

Here's a sample:
    [​IMG]

Enjoy,

27. sr808

sr808

The detail and fabrication skills here are top notch. Keep up the good work!

28. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Target 550 Update 188: The liner is back at Hume's shop for a little more work. The photos show that the car carrier is better suited to turning around on the salt flats than on a gravel driveway. A few other subjects are covered, but I'll leave it to the viewer to check 'em out.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/188_car&carrier_back_at_humes/index.html

Here are a couple of extra shots done while the liner was on the salt flats:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy,

29. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Target 550 Update 189: Getting ready for testing. There's still a lot of work to be done before the liner can make its test runs. Some of 'em are shown in this post...like the doors on the parachute tubes and drainage holes/slots in the blowers and belly pan.

Here's the link: http://www.target550.com/gallery/189_getting_ready_for_testing/index.html

And here are a coupla spare photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy,