Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 53 Build,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harris, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Harris

Harris

Before you decide on a 472 or 500, do the research on parts availability and prices. Between the motor and transmission I've dropped almost 2K. I didn't even do a complete rebuild or change out pistons! They're pretty cheap to buy initially, but part selection is slim - meaning high prices!

Google cad 500 performance and you'll only come up with a handful of parts suppliers. Not unbearable, but more expensive than a small block. That being said, I love the look, sound, and waiting to experience the feel of the motor! Plus it really freaks people out when you tell them what it is!

2. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

My main concern was, I wanted to keep an mechanical fan, I dont like electric ones, that goal, required the firewall change, as for putting it in there, I have serviced the engine with no issues, drain plug is right behin the crossmember, the oil filter it right beside the crank pulley and all 8 plugs are with in easy reach . Alot of engine swaps forget about servicing the engine, hell a 2006 Impala requires you to pull the engine to replace the alternator.

Speaking of parts, Im using an s-10 fan blade and clutch assbly its only 3/4 of an inch long you may need to save some room, I moved the radiator infront of the cowl support ( i made mine ) also the trans cooler forward as well. everything fit behind the hood latch and under the stock hood, with just a little triming for the rad cap.

As for Caddy power, its the torque, when this thing shifts it throws itself forward and you just hang on.

Godspeed
    MrC.

3. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I know that a Caddy build isn't cheap. Great motor though. Fairly light for a huge motor, enough torque to alter the rotation of the earth, and just plain cool.
    Doesn't need a bunch of upgrades either.

I've been into Buick's for a while now. You get a lot more on the power end for your buck with a big cadillac than with building a nailhead.
    The Buick 455 can run with the big caddy engines, but I think the caddy is a bit better of a block to start with.

Still not sure what way I'll go. I'll probably get the body in good shape and save some bucks before I know for sure what I'm going to do.

I do agree about the electric fan.
    If you can get a mechanical fan in there and do the job, it's just way better to me.

4. Harris

Harris

MrC, I would've loved to gone with the mechanical fan, just not enough room in there (I didn't recess the firewall). I too moved the radiator in front of the cowl support, but actually had to trim and reinforce the stock hood latch in order to gain an inch more room.

Still trying to figure out which electric fan will give me the best bang for the buck!

And guys I really do appreciate the comments and compliments, kinda nice to know others have been thru the same stuff, or just appreciate what I've done so far!

5. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

great build, keep the pictures coming

6. Harris

Harris

Ok, got the call from the shop today, brakes no longer pour out fluid! Radiator mounted, as is the alternator. Managed to grab a few pics of the clearance between the radiator and the motor....

Overview:
    [​IMG]

Clearance, or lack thereof....
    [​IMG]

7. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

2 things, you look to have enuff room for a direct fan ( no clutch )
    and does the hood clear, theres a brace across the front of the hood that might limit the hieght of the radiator. I had to notch mine to clear the cap.

Looks great, im not pickin' just a heads up.
    keep the pics coming!!!

Godspeed
    MrC.

MrC.

8. Harris

Harris

It took quite a while to make sure I cleared that hood brace thingy... but she does!

MrC. - did you keep the stock oil filter? looking at my radiator I'm either gonna have to cut/reweld the bottom outlet, or switch to a remote filter setup - don't really want to go that route tho.

9. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Yes I kept the stock oil filter fit fine. Yes the lower neck would have been better if it was a straight outlet , I was able to find a crazy dog leg looking hose that fit mine.

MrC.

10. derbydad276

derbydad276

lovin this build
    rustoleum painters unite!!!

11. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I see your concern in the pic, my motor sits about 3 inches father back than yours which lets the oil clear just fine, I would notch that front crossmember and put in a piece or pipe. just be carefull, if you do use a pipe you may have to change the filter from the top instead of the bottem. something to keep in mind.

Godspeed
    MrC.

12. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

me 2!

13. Harris

Harris

Ok a little progress to report- finally got her out of the little shop of horrors and back home, hoping to have her wired and out to exhaust shop within the next two-three weeks.

Here's a pic of the Spal fan installed, gotta say I'm amazed at the amount of space! The original Taurus fan had to sit inside the pulley!

Unfortunately I only had my crappy camera phone on hand..,

Attached Files:

14. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

So when are you going to cut that hood, everyone wants to see that part!!!!
    lets see that bug catcher.

Godspeed
    MrC.

15. Harris

Harris

Ok, not much in the way of progress to report, but figured an update was in order.

Moved, had AC die in the middle of a heat wave, fridge dying - but enough excuses.

Opened the garage to find this one afternoon....
    [​IMG]

Kinda odd to have transmission fluid leaking from your trunk! Turns out during the move my lovely and helpful wife loaded a gallon of transmission fluid into the trunk without me knowing... (also managed to temporarily mis-place my ONLY key)

I got in my mufflers, Magnaflow "Magnapak" 10416. They're 2 1/2 inch inlet/outlets supposed to be a little more subdued than flat out glass packs - but we'll see.
    [​IMG]

Managed to install most of the Rebel wiring kit, engine done and all wires routed. So that should be relatively easy to finish off (except for under dash as I'm still waiting to pick up gauges)

With any luck at all I'll have the exhaust done this weekend.

And yes, I too am also dying to chop the hood, but that's gotta wait - have to stick to some semblance of a plan (and find another carb spacer - tallest I've found/got is only an inch)

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Erm dude, that's a 54 Chevy, not a 53, keep up the good work.

17. Harris

Harris

Sorry man 1953 with updated bumpers and lights.

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The grille's a 54 Chevy for sure, not 53, does it have a 54 front clip?

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The front bumper's a 53

20. Harris

Harris

Ok, had to buy the wife a new camera - but she couldn't think of anything to photograph - so I got her to take a shot of the engine bay after wiring was completed. (well almost - still have two sensor lines to connect and hook up the battery - but hey I'm happy)

[​IMG]

21. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Car is looking good. Love the caddy engine. Good to see another 53/54 from the valley. How funny that ur car is a 53 with 54 clip, and my car is a 54 with a 53 clip.:D

22. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

alot of chevies from 53 to 54 have had both years of sheetmetal. my first was a 53 with 54 tailights. my current one is a 54 with 53 front sheetmetal and grille. bought it that way. hate it when people get anal over the year, no one questions mercs or fords with different sheetmetal or bumpers.
    nice ride ,thought about caddillac swap but i am trying to keep it simple. any ideas on paint color?

23. Harris

Harris

Chris - yeah I've been keeping an eye on yours - kinda stands out around these parts!

fastcar - yeah the Caddy swap was/is not what I'd call simple. Was originally gonna go with a tan/sand color for the body but now I'm leaning more towards a nice dark grey/gunmetal. Someone else here on the HAMB has that color combo (and even tho he's planning on changing it, I like it). I'll try to post up a pick once I get home to give you some idea. and yeah, the whole anal retentive thing with the year(s) kinda gets old after a while.

24. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Really?! Didn't think people noticed my car around here lol been dying to get it back on the road. Getting ready to do all the patch panels, so i can do my inner tubs too

25. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Looking good, keep at it. Glad the move went smoothly, moving sux

Godspeed
    MrC.

26. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

any update?

You holding out on us?

Godspeed
    MrC.

27. Harris

Harris

Ok, quick update,

Progress has been at a snails pace - still no exhaust - NOT a happy man!

Finally got my gauges in, fabbed up a home for them in the original bezel - I know it's not as traditional as I originally wanted, but the price was right ($200 for set of 5 w/elec speedo) and quite frankly I'm happy with the look and should be a hell of a lot easier to monitor what's going on.

Started with:
    [​IMG]

Almost there...
    [​IMG]

Finished... (looks a LOT darker than actually is)
    [​IMG]

Now just to finish mount them, give the outer bezel a once over, and start wiring them up(at least that doesn't cost me anything other than time)

28. Harris

Harris

Got the mock up done, still have some trimming to do for a perfect fit, but it's a start.

[​IMG]

29. Harris

Harris

Does look a little too clean tho....