Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting a Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sting Ray, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Can it be painted with the same paint that you spray the car with? Does something need to be added to the paint due to the plastic?

In the past I've spray bombed one and it was a sticky mess.:p TIA.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yes, you can. We sprayed the wheel in my Son's rpu with the same Wimbledon White that we used on the firewall. Just scuffed it good first, then sprayed it with epoxy primer, then top coated it with Imron. It is holding up great.

Don

[​IMG]

3. Thanks, Don. Neat ride!

4. cruzr

cruzr

I spray bombed mine on the coupe 4 years ago...its still fine

5. A trick I learned from an old body guy is to mount the wheel on a rod so that it can be turned or spun while spraying it. Really helps prevent runs and a heavy build up in one area. I have used BC/CC on my wheels with no issues whle other s often use acrylic enamel.

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Heres a warning Dont ever use rustoleum tp prime a wheel ,I know someone that did.Over a week and still soft.Just stick with Laquer ,Enamel Basecoat clear coat .Single stage,Always use the recomended primers for each.....Even rattle can is alright and to answer your question .You dont need flexing agent

7. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

ok if he puts the wheel on a rod and spin sit.wont he just get to making donuts?guess if he don't start the rod it will be ok.

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Just painted mine, spray can primer, nason base + clear. Wimbleton. Hasn't seen any use but looks good and feels tuff...

[​IMG]

9. MP&C

MP&C

The wheel was scuffed up for a good bite and sprayed with H/K epoxy primer. Wet sanded and then sprayed using Dupont for the Beige and H/K for the candy apple and clear..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Canuck

Canuck

Base/Clear on the stock plastic wheel in my 64 Malibu in 94 using body puddy to fill cracks. Suffered some cracking over the winter, the same as they did when new. Aside from the slight cracks, looks as good now as it did when painted 18 years and 58000 miles ago.

Canuck

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I'm glad I subscribed to this thread. Thanks all for the good info. I bought a NOS steering wheel for my '50 Sedan Delivery. Story was it hung on the wall in an old dealership forever. Doesn't show any signs of wear and just a few nicks from being knocked around over the years. Not a crack one. It's just the wrong color for my car. I can fix that now.

12. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

There you go!!!

13. Any tips with regards to pre-cleaning them properly? I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that all of the oils from our hands can be... soaked?... into the plastics these wheels were made from. I took that to mean it could lend to adhesion problems if not properly addressed.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I would use a good wax and grease remover first, with a couple of changes in rags. Then I would scuff it with some scotchbrite pads and then dewax it one or two more times. You should be good to go after that with your first coat of epoxy primer. I don't think I would lay on the primer too heavy as it will wipe out some of the sharp detailing of the wheel.

Don

15. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Epoxy single stage works good for steering wheels, it's tough as hell. It's also hell to sand if you need to re-do it too. I like single stage more for steering wheels because there is always the chance that you could nick it and get clear coat peeling. Used hot rod flatz on one one time also, looked good and didn't "grease spot" like you would think a flat paint would.

16. I did the same thing most of you other guys did. I sanded it really good first then primed it and painted it base clear. I also painted all the dash knobs the same way. It hasn't seen much use yet but so far so good.

I stole an old plastic cup out of the kitchen, drilled a hole in the bottem then bolted the wheel to it. I then had a stand to put the wheel down on and was able to hold it by the cup to paint it.

[​IMG]