Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "RUSTY" Hemi Model A on 32 frame build: updated 10/25/15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noland, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Noland

Noland

Ive been collecting the parts for this build for a few years now and have been trying to get everything in place for the last month so I could work on this car threw the winter months. plans are to put a 1931 Model A Coupe on a set of ASC 32 rails. For an engine I will be using a 1953 331 hemi backed with a A833 OD four speed transmission. The body I have is in rather rough condition so I felt Rusty would be a fit name, but hopefully by the end of this build there will be very little rust anywhere.
    Ive just started piecing it together, trying to figure out alot of things still. I know it also will have a early bronco 9" rear Ive been saving for something special. Its going to have a dropped model A front Axle,I dropped myself (3 3/4'')with some insperatin from the HAMB. and reversed a front spring too. to use with a Model A split wishbone. Ill try to just let the pictures do most of the talking any questions or concerns please ask. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heres the frame at its very basic form, I used a model A front crossmember and a rear crossmember I picked up at the swapmeet. It was from an old hot rod and was pancaked by someone else. so the car will have transverse spring both front and rear. I will be building a custom X member to ressemble a early ford piece.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I made these brackets/mounts for my split wishbone. I cut the ball part off of a model A pitman then welded it to a some 3/16 bent at a right angle. They are going to bolt to the bottom of the frame using two 1/2" bolts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I used these old style tie rods. I bought them out at hershey. I thought they were pretty neat. A grease fitting screws in the very end where you tighten up the tie rod. Ive never seen any like it before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the engine Im going to be using. I took it out of a 1953 Imperial. It is a long bellhousing engine. Oh well. It still turns over and the oil was super clean in it so Im unsure of mods at this point. I might just change out the intake and run it. But at the same time I would like to put a decent cam in it and do alittle head work. I dont know at this point what Im going to do to it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Im in the middle of working on the motor mount. I ran out of argon so Im done welding atleast till monday. I used the factory mount and just added to it.it took me along time to figure out something that I thought was nice and didnt look like everyone elses mounts. I think they will have a nice I beam look when done.
    Thanks for looking

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Tim likes this.
  2. 94hoghead

94hoghead

lookin' good!

3. josh highley

josh highley

Nice start. Keep us updated

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice start, having a finished chassis will be a help when it's time to but the body together.

5. Noland

Noland

thats the plan, gonna work from the ground up. I ll get the frame all buttoned up then I ll make the body fit it.

6. 73RR

73RR

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Cool!!! I wouldn't be any bit upset to have an extended bellhousing engine unless you planned on running an auto behind it which is just silly :). Many early Hemi engines have been built to be absolute screamers and ScooterMcRad's as well as Bass' (I think he has one) are evidence that run.

I'm putting a '51 331 in my '32 and I'll be getting to engine mounts and such probably later next year. I look forward to checking this thread out!

8. Noland

Noland

thanks guys for the support and 73RR thanks the Hemi tech is awesome,Ive been using it even before I had a hemi to work on. Today I made all the pieces for the drivers side motor mount and tacked it together with the mig. I didnt take any pictures because its not much different then the passenger side.

9. Noland

Noland

I managed to get the motor mounts all finished up today. Im glad I feel like they took me forever to make but Im happy about the way they came out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the upright with the holes is made of 3/16".the top and bottom band are 1/8" and the little pad that sits on the rubber is 1/4", I tapped it to accept a 1/2" bolt. I added a little piece of 1/8" to the top to give it alittle style, without it the top looked blank and plain.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  10. Noland

Noland

I worked on the shock upper mounts today. Ive been messing with this small stuff that I can while Im saving up for my transmission adapter. I started with a pair of ordinary F100 shock mounts that I bought at the local swap meet.
    [​IMG]
    I decide to do something alittle different. I didnt want to have just F100 shock mount.I think they look nice but it been done time and time over again. so I decide to make them so they mount to the top of the frame instead of the side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did have more progess pictures but my camera s memory card messed up so I lost them. I only did one side so I might take a few more when I do the other one.

Tim likes this.
  11. Noland

Noland

Im waiting on my transmission adapter to continue building on my frame and the x member so I decided to work on the grill. I wanted to run a 32 grill even know I don't have one. So I had to resort to something that I did have a 34 truck grill that I knew I could cut up and not feel bad about. I think the truck grills are just alittle to big for a hot rod so I trimmed mine down a bit.
    [​IMG]
    as you can see it wasn't much to be desired but it'll do.
    [​IMG]
    so I cut it apart. I narrowered the grill front to back by 2 inches.
    [​IMG]
    Then I tacked it back together to try to keep it in some shape of a grill for the next step to narrow the width of the grill by a inch.
    [​IMG]
    I thought it would work better to weld it back together so I only had 2 pieces at a time instead of cutting it into 4 all at once and making a big mess out of it.
    [​IMG]
    then welded back together again, well almost it still needs alot of work I have to build the complete bottom because it was rotted of. Im going to make a insert for it aswell but this is all for now. thanks for looking

Tim, bct and kiwijeff like this.
  12. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

13. Noland

Noland

thanks I think they turned out nice

14. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Great job so far, really like the motor mounts.

15. titus

titus

Im been thinking about the same mod to a grille, been wanting to try it for a while but just havent.

Looks like it should turn out good.

JEFF

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looks like the grille is on the way to being a good looking piece. i really like the motor mounts too.

17. Noland

Noland

Thanks guys, yea the grill on its way Im going to start building the bottom today. I picked up the stainless piece at hershey a couple years ago. I knew I would use it someday. I was possibly thinking horizontal bars for the grill insert.

18. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Awesome, I like where this is going!

19. Looks good!What style model a body?

20. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

looks good!!! i really like the motor mounts!!! nice touch on the grille shell as well

21. Noland

Noland

1931 Coupe, thanks guys

22. Noland

Noland

still working on this grill shell but I think it is coming along quite nicely. I decided to build a bottom for it sense it was rotted off. I was tempted to leave it without a bottom like the milner coupe but dont really like the look. luckly I had the stainless molding to go off of or it would have been really hard to get the shape right.
    [​IMG]
    so I just started making some pieces to fit it with my shrinker/stretcher and a few other basic tools.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    thats about as far as I got for now. sorry the pictures are shit sometimes my camera works nice sometimes not.

Tim likes this.
  23. AHotRod

AHotRod

You've got a good eye .... it's shaping up good.

24. Noland

Noland

thanks, no I have bad eyes but I were glasses :D

brEad likes this.
  25. Big Nick

Big Nick

Nicely done! The motor mounts are great and I like the grill ideas!

26. Noland

Noland

I worked on the grill some more today. this thing is turning into a real project by itself but oh well. I got the bottom that I built all weld in and I ground the welds down. Im going to try to get the insert built tomorrow probably not all of it but some.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think its going to look pretty neat. not many people will be able to figure out what kind of grill it is.

Tim and kiwijeff like this.
  27. Flop

Flop

nice work man. you ever need anything give me a shout!

28. Noland

Noland

Thanks Flop. You do some pretty awesome work yourself. I would like to come down and check some of it out in person someday.

29. Noland

Noland

Ive been doing alittle of everything lately. I was working on the grill insert. Ive been making the cross bars for it alittle at a time. I figured I need about 45 or so of them and it gets kind of boring making them all at once so I like gapping it out alittle. I just take 18 guauge sheetmetal and fold it in half. Then I take the shrinker and shrink the middle some so it get a pointed shape to it. fairly simple but boring doing it 45 times over.
    [​IMG]
    they look like this when they are about ready to be welded to the grill. I use the one pictured as a pattern so they turn out the same shape.
    [​IMG]
    I got a few welded into place. I think its going to look pretty trick once they are all in place.this is how far I got then the UPS guy showed up with a package. I was so exited it was like christmas a few days early. It was my transmission adapter from HOT HEADS.
    [​IMG]
    I was very impressed by the quality of the adapter, very nice. I decided to go with a T5 transmission instead of a A833. I really wanted to run a A833OD figuring it would keep it chrysler and I think 4 speeds are cooler than 5 speeds, but once I saw the price of the hydraulic throw-out bearing for one it was a no brainer. I can always switch it out for a muncie if I have problems. So I dropped everything on the grill and decided to bolt on the adapter and transmission to see how it looks.
    [​IMG]
    I think its going to work out just fine. I took some measurements and went to the local fab shop. They are going to bent me some 1/8" so I can make my x member. They said I probably wont have it till next week. thats all for now thanks.

30. jick

jick
    from london

great work man, i really like the crossbar treatment on the grille.....and it looks like we have similar viewpoints on keeping the workplace tidy!