Register now to get rid of these ads!

installing a turbo on carb engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schillaz, Mar 25, 2011.

1. schillaz

schillaz

Have any of you guys put a turbo on an old carb engine?

Are there any kits out there to add fuel injection easily or i hear something
    about a blow by carb?

any thoughts?

thanks

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

You can run a Blow-Through system, which forces the compressed air from the turbo through the carburetor and into the engine. Or a Draw-Through, which pulls air & fuel from the carb, through the turbo, and then forces it into the engine.

There are kits out there, and plenty of components to make either setup work...depending on your application that is.

3. supervert

supervert

4. indyjps

indyjps

5. schillaz

schillaz

I got ahold of a turbo off an 80s trans AM, i thing the motor is a 301? and i would like to put it on a hudson straight 6 262 engine.

6. I don't know if it helps, or matters, but I know that turbo is a pull-through.(I used to have one, and it is a 301)

7. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

I second the turboforums for info.
    Also if you go draw thru, make sure its a draw thru turbo. The TA is a draw thru turbo, which would be fine if you go that route. But it wont work right if you go blow thru.

8. schillaz

schillaz

Ok thanks guys i will do some more reading, I didnt know that was a pull through turbo appreciate the heads up.

9. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

turbos are pretty simple devices but implementing them requires a bunch of planning. Compressed air is hotter. Getting it from a turbo under hood makes it even hotter. most people run an intercooler to drop the temps before they go into the motor. This requires more piping and a air to air intercooler setup. Good luck

10. daddylama

daddylama

^^ that really is the place to go. read everything... then start asking questions.

i've built/run draw through, blow through and injected/intercooled turbo motors.

the difference between draw through and blow through turbos (for the most part) is the seals... draw through have graphite (IIRC) seals to deal with the fuel. other than that, not much of a difference.

as a warning: this stuff is addictive. my hot rod is staying naturally aspirated... but my fun daily is a 2 liter pushrod 4cyl out of the 60s that's turbod/injected/intercooled and a damn hoot.

kinda hard to be "traditional" to *some* extent... but i do know my grandpa had a turbo that he was running (sorta unsuccessfully) on a flathead after WWII.

good luck and have fun!

11. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

After owning a Turbo Buick, fuel injection is the only way to go. Most people that own these cars have what they call a scan master to be able to tell if its running rich or lean, which is vey important on turbo cars. Not knowing how its running, you can blow one up pretty quick. If you really want a turbo, read up on the ls motors with turbo's. Impressive numbers on hp. Car Craft and Hot Rod have done articles recently.

12. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

Dan

Have you talked to Rudy Bennett in Tx? He has a turbo on his 262. He is not on Hudson forum much, but he is easy to get in touch with. PM me if you need his contact info. He is a great guy and would walk you thru an install, or get you headed in right dirrection.

Don

13. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

There were books published in the '60's by a guy in Florida on turbocharging Studebakers. Studebaker Driver's Club forum may have ready response. The book detailed low-buck turbo solutions, boost-referenced fuel pumps, etc. search "blow thru" with Stude group.

14. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Might want to look at my TurboStude.com site. Also look at Uncommon Engineering in Indianapolis.

15. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

16. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have done several turbo motors. My last two are my old camaro had a 350 with a draw through system, and the 404ci sbc for my 55 is a twin turbo blowtrough setup, with EFI.

A blow through carb setup is easy to setup, and EFI is not needed. It does make tuning easier, but is definately not needed. If you are going to build a draw through turbo setup, you will need a a turbo designed for draw through - they will have a carbon seal on the shaft to seal it. A non draw through turbo in a a draw through application will fail pretty quick.

The turbo on a 301 is a AiResearch TB03 if I remember right. Its pretty small.