Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Gary Howard Fire... Spare a dime?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

I've written about Gary Howard quite a bit in the past. I've followed him as a customizer since I was a kid and now call him a good friend. I just love the man. He's quiet. He's unassuming. He's genuine. He's everything that a fella should be w... <BR><BR>To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.

UPDATE:

To donate to the Gary Howard fund, click here.

To view and bid on auctions to support Gary Howard, click here.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

It'll have to wait a couple days untill pay-day rolls around, but I'm in for a few bucks.

3. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

Dammit i hate being unemployed and broke at times like this! :(

4. John Denich

John Denich

WOW Gary is great guy and did not deserve this....I can spare a few for a good man!

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

OMG! Just heartbreaking. I'm so glad neither Gary nor his family got hurt. Wish I lived closer to help with the cleanup. I think a cookie auction to benifit the collection plate is in order though.

6. Well, Being as how I tried to chop my leg off monday and I don't have no insurance things are going to get real tight around here.....But I can tell this is pretty important to you and I think I can drum up a couple bucks to help out.

7. I have 4 dollars and 83 cents in my account. I just sent you 4 bucks. that's all I can spare.

8. daddylama

daddylama

i'd have bought the dude a pint of ale if it were in person... so i may as well send some beer money.

truly sorry to see this.

9. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

wow.... so sorry please let me know what I can do to help.

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'll go as far as driving to Texas to help build a new shop. I've been to his shop before and he was a very welcoming host to a bunch of folks he didn't even know.
    Great guy in my book.

I'll send some dough to help out, and if there's a crew that will be helping to rebuild, please count me in. Will try to keep track of what develops....

Malcolm

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Love from Palookaville.
    Done.

12. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

This just sucks! I was just talking yesterday about how cool it is to visit Gary's place.

Let me put my name in for whatever I can do. Truck and trailer? Heavy equipment operator? Handyman? hard labor? You name it!

13. that just sucks gary has done some fine cars in that little shop I could eats some cookies how about it lady cruzer

14. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Gary is a friend and his Interviews on my WebSite are always favorites with visitors. He & his wife are truly some of the kindest, nicest, people you'll ever meet. PLUS, Gary is one of the best builders & painters in the country...a true craftsman.

This is really a tragedy. And, thanks Ryan...I didn't know it had happened. I'll contact him tomorrow.

Jonnie

15. radio_king

radio_king

I`m in,hope it helps at least a bit.Sad news.

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

That sucks. Sorry to hear, done.

17. Von Franco

Von Franco

I don't have much but what ever i can do he's got it......please put this as a sticky or what ever it;s called ........much respect to gary..............

18. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

I was out there most of the afternoon helping Gary assess the damage. It is a total loss as you can see from the pics. The worse part is Gary has to keep working on what he does for a livin. Building the finest customs in the land. Gary works by himself and that's what makes this really tough on him. Reggie and I are going back out tomorrow to get his electricity going in his other shop right behind the one that burned down so he can get back to work. Trying to get him some air too as in a compressor. As you can see in the one pics, his compressor was a casualty also. Got to have juice and air to make it happen out there. The shop that burned was his original shop turned paint booth where built and painted so many of the award winning cars over the years. He lost all his paint equipment and supplies, many tools along w/ the customer's merc that he couldn't get out in time. By the time he saw what was going on out there it was too late. Gary does consider himself very fortunate though that no one was hurt and only the one bldg was destroyed. It was very windy and because of paint supplies the fire got very hot very quickly. It could have been so much worse, but this is Gary's life and livelyhood and this is what he does to put food on the table and take care of his family so its really tough right now. Like Ryan said he is a prince and didn't deserve this and we are going to try and make it right for him. I know he really appreciates all your thoughts and help in this time of need. Thanks so much for helping out our dear friend. He's family.

19. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

Truly sad news.

20. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Man I hate to hear this. We had a house fire when I was little and we lost everything. I remember it like it was yesterday. I had saved up an extra thousand for some art at the Roundup, but this is more important. Tell Gary I just sent him a grand to put towards a new compressor.

Doc.

21. moter

moter

This really sucks! Cash on the way later this morning.

22. skidsteer

skidsteer

Glad he is okay, my $$ are on the way via PayPal.

23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Money has been sent Ryan....Mark and Kelly Skipper.

24. It hurts to see and read this. I've given what I can afford to support (money sent).

25. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to be dense, but how do we contribute? Was there a link?

26. skullcracker

skullcracker
    from Austin

Whatever I can do.

27. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

Wow, that really sucks. He has got some great friends that will help him get going though.

28. jerry

jerry

This really sucks!

I have met Gary in the p[ast and was lucky enough to get to see his shop a few years ago, couldn't have had a better time, or met a nicer guy!

Part of my LSRU fund is in a paypal donation already.

Best of luck to you Gary.

jerry

29. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Without the influence of Gary Howard on my life I might not have ever became a hotrod photographer, and the Boogie Van might have been a DONK.
    I am in Detroit, but if the wife and I can do anything to help locally we will, and I posted a link to this everywhere I could

30. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

If you look closely there is a little red ....here.... in the post