Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950's chevy truck vin location?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shiva69, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Shiva69

Shiva69

Hello,
    I know its been along time and i am sure that i'll get a razzing since i haven't posted here for a while. but i am tearing apart a 1950 chevy truck, keeping the body and getting junking of the rest. but i am assuming that i should find the vin number thats on the frame so i don't have to worry about that when i put it on a s-10 frame when i have money again.

Thanks
    Garth

2. Should be on the left door jam. That's where the tag was for my 1950 GMC and my parts 1952 GMC. Same trucks of course.

Reverend Jake

3. jerry

jerry

The only vin on the early trucks is on the front of the left door jamb. They didn't put any numbers on the frames then.

jerry

4. Shiva69

Shiva69

Was the tag metal or paper?
    and about how high on the jam.
    Thanks for the replys
    Garth

5. It should be onthe doorjam about midway between the door hinges, aluminum tag; yours mite have gotten rip'd off long ago. Should see two small holes there for screws that held it on.

6. Yep, what he said. The "rivets" were diagonal if I remember (I've looked at alot of VINs since then). Yours, if not there, is probably gone with the wind.

You may have to buy another truck to get a plate and title. Or the risque purchase a title from a title company...

Best advice I could give is to call someone who deals with getting lost titles(not the tag office) and find out what they say.

I had to title the 53 hardtop I'm building now through one of those kind of services, but mine had the VIN.

I hope you have some luck.

Reverend Jake

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  7. Shiva69

Shiva69

Well.. Some where i have a title which has a vin number on it. however the title was of the previous previous owners. Well i'll figure this out before i bother to start putting this togeather.. in a few years...

Thanks again for all they help guys.
    Garth

8. Kustm52

Kustm52

If a VIN tag will help you out, I may have one... could even send you a bill of sale to go along with it if needed :D

Brian

9. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

The Vin on my 53 chevy door jam did me no good it did not match the vin for the truck, the vin as I understand for those year chevys was the numbers on the MOTOR, what I had to do is have the vin changed from the motor to the door jam then I was able to register it from that vin number. this was is Calif. It was a real nightmare. but it is now corrected. Ed ke6bnl

10. muzzymom

muzzymom

brian i really need a vin tag;)

11. muzzymom

muzzymom

brian i really need a vin tag

12. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Some states registered via Motor ID# others VIN ID. You can buy a replacement VIN plate from Brothers and others that you can stamp your correct VIN on if you have it on your title. Don't know what you'd have to do if you only had a motor ID#.

You can run the VIN on Stovebolt.com and find out details of your truck. No such luck with the Motor ID#. I have a VIN tag from a '50 but the title lists the Motor ID#! In Michigan I'd have to get it switched to the VIN since the motor (and the remainder of the truck) is long gone!

13. the Filling Station has new ID tags, buy one, stamp the no's off your title if you have one.

14. bjr181716

bjr181716
    from kingman az

do you still have the vin plate for the 50 chev plate thanks for your time jim [email protected]

15. cody.young

cody.young

i have a 195... something chev truck and i dont know how to decode the vin can anyone help me

16. Bmilam

Bmilam
    from Anchorage

I have a 50 chev Panel Truck, no Vin tag and no title.
    Any clues on how to get a clean title??

Ben
    The Alaskan Version

17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The AD trucks don't have a VIN. The info on the plate is just where and when the truck was built, the model (1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, etc........) and assembly number. There is no "VIN" number, paint code, interior code, engine code, etc......etc.............LMC trucks has info in their catalog about the I.D. plate I found out that my truck was made in Los Angeles in May of 1951 and was the 5139th truck off the line.

18. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

I only can say from California, I could not register the truck at first because the VIN wasthe number on the engine, bought the truck with no motor. I had a police officer say that we were relocating the vin from the engine to the door tag, there was a paper for this procedure, then I registered it off that plate number I am pretty sure it was on the door(been a long time) and all went well. I pay for a non op on it now till I get to the project lots of projects in the way.

worked for me not sure it will work for you ED

.MOBILE AUTO BODY - $100 (Mobile)
    Date: 2011-07-31, 6:14AM PDT
    Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
    IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO TRADE CALL ME

I DO ALL TYPE BODY WORK

I USED TO WORK AT A BODY SHOP I HAVE ALL TOOLS NEEDED

I DO ALL PAINT , I WILL COLOR MATCH YOUR PAINT

I OFFER "P.D.R." PAINTLESS DENT REMOVEL MEANING NO HOLE, PAINT OR CUTTING NEEDED I WILL GET 90% OF YOUR CLEAN DENTS OUT WITHOUT HARMING YOUR PAINT

MY WORK IS ALL GUARENTEED OR YOUR JOB IS FREE

MY PRICEING IS HALF THE PRICE FROM ANY BODY SHOP

I COME OUT TO YOU IF YOUR AT WORK OR AT HOME JUST CALL AND ILL BE THERE WITH ALL THE TOOLS NEEDED

I DO HEAT TREATING ON ALL TYPE OF BUMPERS

I DO ALL SCRATCH AND DING REMOVEL

I DO MAJOR DENTS AND FRAME WORK

I CAN GET NEW OR USED PARTS AND LOW COST

JUST CALL FOR MORE INFO. (818)200-8290

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2522402322

19. Smallou

Smallou
    from Florida

Hey. My son and I are fixing up a 1948 Chevrolet 3100 pickup truck. We disassembled it to paint it and found out that the vin plate is missing. The title is in my name and it has the vin the truck had. Who do I have to talk to for the vin?