Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Chevy cowl tag decoding info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratroddude, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

I did a search , but copuldnt find anything , I am looking for a site that I can decode the cowl tag on my '57 Chevy station wagon , do any of you guys have a source for this? , I found numerous sites that decode the V.I.N. tag , and mentions the cowl tag , but only generally ,I want to decode the cowl tag on the wagon , options , paint , style, trim , etc , any help is greatly appreciated , thanks in advance...

2. Hot_Rod_Joe

Hot_Rod_Joe

3. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

google search will send you to many useful sites

5. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

A Danchuck or CCI catalog has the info in it. Post what you want to decode, I`m sure someone here has the info. What are you looking for, trim codes?

6. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Or PM me. I'll get ya done.

7. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Thanks for all the info , but , there's a few things I still cant find , I would think that all the accecories would be beside the "ACC" part of the tag , but , out from the "PAINT" section of the tag , it says : 822S-EZI , and out from the trim section of the tag , it says:684-STL-AC , I know that the "684" is the silver vinyl w/ black and silver pattern cloth interior option , I have no idea what "STL" is , I would assume that the "AC" would be Air Cond. , but , why isnt it beside the "ACC" part of the tag? , and at the "PAINT" section of the tag , the "EZI" I would think is the factory tinted glass , but , again , why isnt it at the "ACC" part of the tag? , and finally , what the hell is "STL"at the trim part of the tag? , it reads: TRIM 684-STL-AC , Ihopw to find out these little trinkets of info , thanks alot in advance !!!

8. rrdude,

The cowl tags on the tri-fives have been interesting to me for the past five-six years, so I often times look at them when ever possible. It's my experience that the ACC codes (when present) are all over the tags, like you are seeing on your own. I've also seen the same observation expressed in threads on other websites.

I looked in a couple of my sources, but wasn't able to learn what the STL code may have been for.

Scott/Gotta56forme

9. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Anybody have this info this morning?

10. Well, we know by the 684 that is was silver and black inside. Maybe the STL is really SIL for silver. Or maybe it was built in St. Louis.

Did it really have air? I'm only seeing a code for AC as a 3-speed overdrive transmission.

Of course, EZI means tinted glass.

11. belair

belair

12. You don't think? Well, it was just a guess. :eek:

13. Are there any signs that the car actually had factory AC? Or is this a guess from the cowl tag info?

My car had a powerglide tranny, tinted glass, seek/scan radio, clock, front and rear bumper guards, and delux heater. Some of these items could have been bought by a PO or dealer installed, but most were installed at the factory. I only have EZI on my cowl tag.

About the only thing you can be sure of as far as cowl tag info goes is the paint and interior color.

14. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Well, judging from the heater switches , it has a cool section on it , a fourth switch , if you will , and the dash has a hole in each side of the dash , about 3 inches in diameter , supposedly for the round air flow directors , and on the firewall , where the heater motor is , over closer to the center of the firewall , there is whjat looks like either the heater core , or mabye an evaporater , that is all I have to go on , mainly the a/c switch in the dash..

15. You have a factory AC car alright. They also had a throttle cable under the dash to speed up the engine when the AC was on.

If you don't have the vent covers for the dash, they can be pricey to replace. The under hood parts you have are the evaporator which was mounted in front of the heater core. The blower motor would be mounted on the fender attached to the air vent.

16. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Thanks for the info , is there anything else you can tell , as far as options,from the cowl tag , or is that found on the vin tag? , if it is , how would you decipher the vin tag for that information?

17. The VIN will only tell you if it was a V-8 or a 6. Did you go on the Danchuk site? Everything is there...

18. Rick71

Rick71
    from MN

Ive got one for somebody..i have a 57 4dr wagon that i just picked up. the only thing we can't figure out is the style code on the cowl tag..any help is appreciated..

it reads
    Style 57-1062DFX
    Body No S 87
    Trim 690-la
    Paint 819D-EZ1

thanks
    Rick

19. Rick71

Rick71
    from MN

thanks, i already checked this one out. it has the code for the 1062df and a couple others had codes for 1062dfc. but none show the 1062dfx code

Attached Files:

20. 1966jerry

1966jerry

I have a very early production 57 Bel Air 2dr sedan. It's body #3 from Fisher.

Attached Files: