Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Quad Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

This car is cool, but you're right ryan. Describe it to me, and I'd be like "eh, might be ok" But when you see it, the car has something to it. I like it, aside from the odd headlights (which really aren't that bad compared to some other like-minded styling seen on other cars) everything looks good. Maybe it is still hiding in old man rivers haggard barn somewhere...

3. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I dig it, like most people will say im not the biggest fan of the headlights but they dont really look that out of place. And the yblock scores major points with me

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Cars that were featured in the magazines back in the day were not the quality of what we expect today. However they inspired countless guys to build cars that turned out better. The first '32 Ford Hot Rod I ever saw locally in the early 1960's is a case in point. In my mind it was perfect, Chrysler HEMI, slicks, cycle fenders. Years later I found a feature on the car in one of the little page East Coast mags, looked nothing like the picture I'd had in my memory for years. I'll find it and post photos later.

5. I like the headlights. The whole car is awesome.

6. That thing was built in the era when I really started to recognize that cars were more than just how the Ol' Man made a living.

I know that to a trad rodder they look a little garish but I just like 'em. I think its one of those things that you either like or don't; no one has ever been on the fence about that style of rod.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think it's awesome!!! Maybe the headlights are not something that I would do but they are definitely something that I would be like "whoa that's so cool!" if I seen it on someone 's car. The rest of it is just right though. Very close to how I am going to build my '32 right down to the roll bar and moon caps. Only I hope to have a brutal 331 Hemi in between the rails.

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Pretty straightforward ride, and I like the headlights. Different, yet not too out there. Kinda reminds me of those War of the Worlds spaceships.

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I like everything about it.

10. Headlights might look even better vertical.

11. RDR

RDR

gotta remember guys, 1958 was the year of QUAD headlights...latest high tech new thing to hit the automotive world...this guy was on the cutting edge to incorporate them into his build and evidently it worked,huh?...got on the cover....

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

13. Racrdad

Racrdad

I really like it!! Would really be cool to see it show up somewhere.

14. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

"east coast awkwardness"

My one feeling was hurt for a second :eek:. I think it's pretty cool. The headlights kinda grow on ya after a bit. The guy was from KaZoo so maybe I'm a little biased.:D

15. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

agreed! thats what rods and customs were about back then... not that I was around for it, but when I pour through my old stacks of 50s mags I notice a ton of things people would scoff at today and probably not even attribute to that time period. I can't believe how many cars had nerf bars back then with the owners initials, etc., you rarely see that today

these lights wouldn't be my first choice either, but they work, were cutting edge at the time, and at least they're not rectangular quads like in the 70s! :eek::eek:

16. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Like Tommy Fosters Baby Blue 32 roadster with his "TOMMY" plate on the front. Another Michigan built car as well.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, that was the hot lick at the time, especially for some show cars. The car could still be around with a few changes and one might not recognize it.

Just like any other trendy or fad thing it wasn't every one's cup of tea then anymore than now but just like the way over size wheels and low profile tires that some of "those" guys think is the hot lick today those were the hot lick for the guys who had to have the latest thing then.

Hell, I had a pair of lakes style headers on my T bucket in 1974 and guys were always asking why I wanted those "outdated" style headers on it. Each period in rodding time has it's little markers that show the trends of the time and that is what was one of the trends in the late 50's through the 60's.

18. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

quad headlights on any hot rod are just fllat out ugly...and inconsistent

dj

19. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

OK, I'll buck the trend and say I don't like the package. The Y block is cool, but the stance and pipes are awkward. The '57-'58 Ford steering wheel looks silly with a traditional dash. And the chopped grille looks out of proportion to the ride height.

I agree that the quads would look better stacked. But how does the reference to "'36 Ford headlamps" work out? What does that mean?

20. froghawk

froghawk

Well maybe it's my east-coastness talking, but I like it. The quad headlights were definitely the thing at the time, and these are actually done nicely (not sure how he got there from '36 Ford lights though). For not having much rake the stance is great and that low and level exhaust really makes the whole car "flow."

Wonder if it could've found its way to Philly somehow....

21. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

werent quad headlights made into a law in 1958? for some states? any car built then had to have them or something?

22. DUDE I knew my car had a father somewhere out there. Finally another old Y-block powered cut down roadster haha

23. catdad49

catdad49

Looks cool A!! I wonder what the top end would be with the 4.44 gears? Cat

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If I were to find that car it would get a good scrubbing, a change of fluids, insurance and plates. Followed by me being gone for as long as I had money for gas. Can you imagine pulling into an event or cruise night with that thing. You'd be swamped for a couple of hours answering questions about it.

Frank

25. 62rebel

62rebel

i think the headlight buckets are the 36 units, squeezed oval. now; how many of you just had a heart attack thinking about doing that with OEM parts?

26. GARY?

GARY?

The roll bar looks good. Sure would be a melon cracker though. Not a fan of the pipes. Cool car, would love to see it hiding in a garage down the street.

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That car just fucking rules man......there needs to be more cars built these days in that style.....most cars these days seem to all follow the same basic "pattern"....

I think my T will be getting quads....hehe

28. Ashcraft

Ashcraft
    from Colorado

There's a 50's style 34 Ford pickup around here that still has the quad lights.

I hate 'em. They looked cool on 1958 Impalas and Plymouths, but not on hot rods. I remember a few 40 Fords with canted quad headlights back in the day. Somebody trying to improve on a design that was perfect to begin with.

29. That is exactly like the car that bit me when I was a little fella too many years ago resulting in me suffering from this rod bug. Down here in NZ one of our grandfathers of rodding had a Model A roadster with Y block,channelled over A chassis and large catseye taillights in the back ( off a PAX Vauxhall, English car) in the early '60's that had that special WOW factor and had me suffering ever since. I just love those early cars...

30. flamingokid

flamingokid

I like everything about the car,including the headlights.