Register now to get rid of these ads!

America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 29, 2008.

1. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Roadster Award for the GNRS and a Hot Rod award for the Detriot Autorama...

We can call the Autorama award the Frank Gorshin Award

2. Ryan knows what he wants this to be but I'll weigh in anyway....

I think part of the beauty of this is that people from all over the world could vote. It wouldn't just be reserved for those who can study them up close & personal. Our pick would come from the gut, not out from under a microscope...... & it should come from the gut. At that level they are all almost perfect anyway. We'd be picking "beauty", "cool", or whatever.... not picking nits.

I would like to see voting available only to Alliance members though. I'd hate to see such a sincere form of recognition screwed up by someone trying to pad the vote by having everyone he/she knew log on & vote.

JH

4. Bruce has a point here -- and I agree with him. This is the GNRoadsterShow. The award oughta go to a roadster. It'll sure make it simpler.

5. RichardW

RichardW

but I sure hope we get to see better photos than we've seen of the winner this year (godawful ugly, btw).

I think it is a great idea but if we are going to vote on photos then they all need to be of the same quality. What I have seen on here from this years show wouldn't be fair representation. Are we going to have to send a Photographer along with the judges?

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Roadsters only...

7. damn thats funny !:D

Attached Files:

8. Perfect !!...I gotta believe that the cars being considered would be easy to get GOOD photos during set-up day and early on including the Judges book if ya asked the owners..this would help everyone concerned vote on the car for its own merit and maybe open the eyes of people lookin in on whats is really involved to figure this out.:rolleyes:...just my take on this

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'm not sure I'm on board with this, but I don't have to be. There have been a VERY long line of, what we would consider, ugly cars winning the AMBR title. Like 35 years worth!

The GNRS is not the "It Will Be 1949 Forever Roadster Show", but I sure wish it was.

While my heart lies with what we all consider "traditional-style" rods and customs, GNRS is doing pretty much what it has always done. Chose the most elaborately modified and "technically" best-executed roadster.

Check out the criteria http://www.hotrodshows.com/guidelines.html

There is nothing there about traditional or simple or even tasteful. There never has been.

The bottom line is that ALL indoor shows are about the "points" judging system. Even awesome hot rodder Rich Guasco took years to win AMBR and he kept changing his car to better fit the criteria. I think everyone here who knows the car digs it.

For better or for worse, that criteria has evolved, as has the hobby. I think we all revel in that fact. It makes us different.

Sorry to sound like a downer, I just think sometimes we take ourselves a little too seriously.

10. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

KIRK! is right on this one... and has the perspective of running his own show to back it up.

fucking downer.

- Joe

11. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

I agree with kirkto a point but I also like the thought of our own to pick!

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't take this seriously at all actually... It's cars man... It's FUN!

And yeah, I know all indoor shows do the point thing. But that doesn't mean we can't do it our own way.

And yeah, I realize the GNRS is just moving along the same path it has been for years and that many an ugly car won the award back in the day. I just don't feel like we should sit idly by and watch it happen... Why not have some fun? It will be good for the small amount of people it effects and if you really think about it, it won't hurt the GNRS one bit! Hell, it won't hurt anyone... at all... why not do it?

In the end, it's just a bunch of car guys recognizing another car guy for doing stuff that we all respect or enjoy. I don't like show trophies as much as the next guy, but in this circumstance it just seems so right... so good...

13. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

If we could harness all the time, energy, hatred and disgust in this 7 page post and get back into our garages and build something WE LIKE, we would all be a lot better off.

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Ya know.....I may have been a bit harsh in earlier posts.....and not giving "US" enough credit over "THEM" on the trophy/award front......

You've SOLD me on this idea.......:)

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

At least from me, there is no hate... Hell, we are all car guys. The past winners, the promoters, the losers... all of us.

16. Great idea Ryan, try to get '50fraud' involved - his picks were spot on, from all the pictures I have viewed. Just keep it fun as you say. We all love cars - just some a bit more.
    Al

17. 53chevy

53chevy

So it's a Secret Pen-Pal award. Someone will dress-up like one of those guys in the Matrix movie, slap the guy or girl on the ass, saying Good Job!, hand em' an envelope and a trophy and disapear into the crowd...

Ken

18. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

The concept sounds good in theory, but I have a very hard time believing that this is worth the trouble. If I ran a show and found out some other guys, who didnt like how I did things decided to give an unauthorized award away at my show, you would bet, I would not let that happen. You might be able to pull this off the 1st year, but theres no way it would go down the next.

If you really dont like how they do it... do it better. Start your own show. There just doesnt seen to be alot of honor in what has been proposed.:eek:

I will now go back to my regular "Dude, that sweet" posting.;)

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

Word to that!

I think an anonymous award would be killer. I'd be honored as hell to get it, as I'm sure anyone would be.

While I cannot defend the AMBR choice this year, it is 100% in-line with their criteria; level of difficulty and number of modifications over aesthetics.

Definitely not any of our cup of tea.

20. hemi

hemi

Previous winners....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two-time winner:

[​IMG]

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Exactly! So, why not do it?

It sounds maverick and punk rock and all that shit... And I guess it sort of is... but really, it's all about appreciating some guy that wouldn't necessarily get the attention other wise. Some schmuck like us!

Panel will be anonymous. I will not be one of them. Voters are anonymous. Trophy won't mention a brand or business... It's about changing things up a bit and doing it our own way... food the good... not the bad...

22. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Viva la Hamb, What a great idea !!! Whats the worst could happen, after a few years of putting up with a force like us, they realize they have lost sight of what the AMBER really is and they hand over the judging to a group of folks from the HAMB........ perfect. Gary

23. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Hey Kirk... how does it feel to be the "voice of reason"?

24. I agree. We are judging static art work using our own wind in your face/exhaust note in your ear/feeling every bump you hit/late hours laying on concrete floors/etc mentality.

That doesn't mean we can't look for a genuine nugget amongst the fools gold.

25. KIRK!

KIRK!

Jesus, don't tell anyone.

26. It is called Guerrilla marketing................and its FEREAKIN FUNN!:D

27. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Awwww, we are gonna miss you. But then again, a weird year for a weird guy sounds appropriate.

B:rolleyes:B

28. Gee Bob, that warms my heart on a cold day........................you will see me around the country this year, I just dont know when;)

29. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

it's a fun idea. It's harmless, a way to get some passionate hot rodders to get their opinion/respect out there for a car. can't really go wrong with that.

Eventhough, it's not like a car picked by the HAMB would be without it's own bias/politics. i can hear it now, "that guy didn't build his own car", "that car isn't Henry Ford Steel","that's a gold chain/trailered car, it isn't driven". Not to mention if it was a HAMB members car who had a build thread on here....But hell, who cares about that stuff either? I guess that stuff is still relevant to what some people would consider cool( I could care less about any of those things).

Regardless, I'm sure the car selected would be bitchin!

personally, awards mean pretty much zilch and the award some other show gives out means even less regardless of it's history. You can keep the trophy. Want to give me an award? buy me a tank of gas...

30. Here here! Brilliant idea. I'll go with Brucie and give my ¢2.