Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shop/garage plans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keith089, May 1, 2007.

1. keith089

keith089

Anybody have any plans for a garage? I am looking to build a 20 x 30 or 40. Just looking for ideas before I make mistakes. If you have horror stories post them up. I love to learn.
    Mike

2. The Jalopy Journal has a sister site called the Garage Journal here:

http://www.garagejournal.com

Once you are there, you can go to The Board (forum) and get all kinds of information and ideas!

Hope this helps!

(BTW - I like your avatar. If there is beer in Hell, maybe it will even be cold!)

3. keith089

keith089

4. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Go as big as space will allow. Started out with a 24'x24', ended up with a 24'x48', still seems too small.:) :D

5. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

it doesn't take long to fill em up. i've got 24x36 fits 3 easily with room to work, and living in the heart of the city, doesn't piss the neighbors to bad.

6. I am right in the middle of building my 24x30. Seems simple so far...the worst part was after the demo on my old garage, getting rid of the concrete :D With just me and my dad, and is very tired 8N tractor made for a whole weekend of work :(

But the outcome will be worth it!!!!

7. flathead okie

flathead okie

I've got a 30x30, tought it would be big enough as I use to have a 24x18.......It isn't big enough.

8. JSBriggs

JSBriggs
    from Auburn, CA

If you want a lift plan for 12' 6" walls as most lifts are 12'. It can be done with 12' of framed walls on top of 6" foundation stem walls.

I built this last year. Its 35' x 40', deeper than it is wide.

-Jeff

Attached Files:

9. Give me a couple of months and I'll probably have more info, The builder starts on mine this month, claims 6 weeks start to finish. It's 30' x 40' conventional construction. My current medical state keeps me from doing it myself. I bought a plans book at home depot and modified a layout that was close.

10. john56h

john56h

11. Glen

Glen

my build is on the garage journal its 25x30.

I think my userid is AZGlen on that site though

12. Bert

Bert

go the 12ft walls as stated.......I now have a lift but have to raise my roof to match, big job but still easier than a whole new garage.....over here, they sometimes cheat and build the garage first and then pour the concrete slab inside the garage using the first 6inches of wall as a form for the slab.........hence you loose height inside...having bigger walls also means more storage/shelving......just like a compressor, you can never go too big with a garage..............Bert

13. Big Dad

Big Dad

I built 30 x 30 with 10 foot side walls .. whoops

To use a 4 post lift ...really need 11 foot walls

It will work but, much better to have 11'

And , sure should of done 30 x 40 ..I have 3 cars, room to work but
    it is crowded

14. junior 1957

junior 1957

i know this is gonna sound silly, but stay as close to a square footprint as possible. a long narrow building gives up square footage.

50x50=2500 sq ft

40x60=2400 sq ft

30x60=1800 sq ft:eek:

15. borntoolate

borntoolate

I love my steel building. (40'x50'x12') Ten years ago, it cost me about $16,000 for the building and the concrete slab plus a couple of 10'x8' overhead doors. It came with 3" fiberglass insulation. It has a 14" main "backbone" beam that'll easily hoist an engine. It also came with sealed engineering drawings stating that it was designed for an 80 mph wind load. Only problem with having a bigger shop is you fill it up with more crap (not to mention other people's crap). The only challenging part of the construction was placing the steel roof beam. I had a guy hoist it up with a backhoe bucket. It just barely made it. If you're in a subdivision, you probably can't use a building that doesn't match or compiment the materials in your house. For the value and usability, I think a steel building beats the snot out of a traditionally framed shop, but either way beats using the driveway. Another cool thing is that all winter here in middle Tennessee, it never gets below about 40 degrees in there with no heat. I think just the radiant heat from the ground maintains that, along with the insulation. I have one of those cheap keresene jet engines for instant heat when I get time to work out there.

16. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

I got 80 grand into my garage addition,we added to the roofline of the house. It is 36X60 with a loft....and it is still too damn small!:eek:

17. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

consider scissor trusses. they give alot more height to the building. my garage is 28x34. 9 ft walls. but with the scissor trusses the peak of the ceiling is about 12 1/2 tall.

and make sure to put a moisture barrier down before you pour the concrete - if you ever plan on painting or sealing the floor.

18. keith089

keith089

Thanks to all.

19. I plan to build or buy one near my office (tired of the 120 miles per day commute) once I finish the roadster. I'll go with 16'(20'?)walls so I can have an apartment upstairs. Anybody know what concrete costs in Houston?

20. Glen

Glen

I did the scissor truss also, it was the smartest thing I did.