Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TOOLS, Sand Blast cabinet on the cheap!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3034, Nov 19, 2006.

1. 3034

I spent about $40 for everything and already had some of it lying around. It sure beats blasting parts in the driveway. Here's how:

• First I started with a clean 55 gallon barrel. This is the type with a removable lid. I got this one for free and it was clean on the inside. You’ll have to search around for one.
    • The door: I cut the lid as shown and added a piano hinge ($5) for easy access. The existing holes were the perfect size for the shop vac hose and the blast hose inlet.

Attached Files:

• BC1.JPG
      BC1.JPG
      File size:
      102.8 KB
      Views:
    • BC2.JPG
      BC2.JPG
      File size:
      86.4 KB
      Views:
    Flathead Dave and kiwijeff like this.
  2. 3034

• The window: this is just a simple box made of 3/4" birch veneer plywood that screws together with a slot on the inside to slide the glass in and a radius cut on the band saw to fit the barrel. After I had a good fit I marked the inside on the barrel and cut the opening, added some silicone sealer and screwed it on from the inside. I cut the glass from an old window I had. I made one side of the window box removable for glass replacement because the glass gets pitted after time. Tempered glass might be best.
    • The arm holes: I vacuum formed these out of 1/8” black ABS plastic over a wooden buck. These were riveted on. Use sealer to keep the sand in. This can also be made of a steel tube large enough for your arms. Just weld it in.

Attached Files:

• BC3.JPG
      BC3.JPG
      File size:
      71 KB
      Views:
    • BC4.JPG
      BC4.JPG
      File size:
      57.9 KB
      Views:
  3. 3034

• Gloves: The flange going in (see above) is where the gloves are attached. I used some thick industrial rubber gloves from the local surplus store ($5) and put a large diameter hose clamp around them on the inside to hold them in place.
    • I found the fluorescent light at a garage sale for $2. Home Depot has them too. This is self contained with the ballast inside. Two nuts and bolts hold it in place. I used some silicone sealer around the edges of the lens and corners to keep sand out and drilled a hole in the top of the barrel to run the chord out with a grommet around it.
    • The rack on the inside came out of an old refrigerator. I will upgrade this eventually but hey- it works for now!
    • I added a vent on the opposite end from the vacuum hose inlet. This helps keep the air clear inside so there is not a lot of dust flying around.

Attached Files:

• BC5.JPG
      BC5.JPG
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
    kiwijeff likes this.
  4. 3034

• The base is also made of 3/4" birch veneer plywood.
    There are two types of blasting I have done with this cabinet. At first I set it up as a siphon blaster ($18 at Enco) where the sand is drawn up through the hose via air running through the gun. (I put a quick connect on for the air line hookup through the barrel.) That way is rather slow but you don’t have to refill the pressure tank, it just picks the sand up off of the bottom. I used it this way for about a year and then bought a pressure blaster (Northern tool outlet) which is way faster than siphon blasting. The only drawback here is refilling the tank with sand once you are out. Both of these are the trigger style. For a few dollars more you can get the foot pedal type.

Happy Blasting!

Attached Files:

• BC6.JPG
      BC6.JPG
      File size:
      63.8 KB
      Views:

5. 3034

Attached Files:

• buck.JPG
      buck.JPG
      File size:
      16.6 KB
      Views:
  6. WinDancerKnives

WinDancerKnives

I know this is an old post but WOW! Very nice design and build. GREAT ideas. Usually when I see a build I se there are things that I would change- but no this one. I am bookmarking and will save for when I get fed up with my little plywood cabinet. Thanks for taking the time to get good pics and to document what you did.
    Dave

7. This is great.
    Every Hamber who plays with old cars, needs one.
    I need one, haha.

Thanks for bumping this up Dave.

8. Contains the magic word "Cheap". Great thinking...

9. cool stuff.

10. WindancerKnives, thanks for bring that back. I have seen some similar but that is very cool and cheap too.

11. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I did the same thing but cut it in half lengthwise & added 12" of 3/4" plywood all around to make the chamber larger.

12. I am certainly going to try this one out. I have two 55 Gal drums to mess around with and most of the bits and pieces laying around in my tool shed. Another use for the 55 gal drums that i was looking into Jerry rigging is a tool cabinet much like "The Ultimate Toolbox" on FB.

13. brady1929

brady1929

14. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

This thread is one of the first threads I came across when I joined in 2006. I built this blast cabinet pretty much like 3034 shows. It was pretty straight forward and I have enjoyed using it!
    Thanks 3034