Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone beleive in marvel mystery oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swaluda, Sep 1, 2013.

1. stewdecky

stewdecky
    from Kansas

Had a stuck valve in my flathead six and MMO did the trick. Whole bottle down the carb while idling. Smoked and belched and viola! Been putting it in my gas ever since and no troubles. I'm a believer.

2. My Dad was an old gearhead from way,way back...I remember seeing MMO on his workbench back when I was a snot-nosed kid...He was a real believer in MMO's ability to work on about anything.. I honestly believe if you broke your arm in his shop, he would have poured MMO on it ....
    Never questioned my Dads wisdom , so my workbench always has a can (or two ) sitting on it..

3. How much do you guys add to gas, say 10 or 15 gal?

4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used it for 40 years. Add about 4 oz to tank of gas in my 57 fuely and lube air tools with it.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I was told to add 4-6 oz. to 10 gal. of gas by my buddy. He said in the summer he runs as much as 8 oz. per 10 gal. to keep his 12:1 CR engine running well on pump gas.

6. Thanks 1971BB427. Oh by the way. Hope your Austin is running good!

7. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

The wonder of MMO, like so many additives, is predicated on the fact that no one is applying any science to its effectiveness.

You used it in everything for 20 years? Well, so what? Did you also buy an identical batch of engines 20 years ago and run them in the same conditions to study the differences? That;s called a control group. Of course not.

Every day, I open my driver's window on the way to work and toss 3 sprigs of parsley out to keep any tigers from attacking me. It works great....not once in 25 years has a tiger attacked me on the way to work. If that's not proof that parsley sprigs - 3 of 'em - tossed out the driver's windows keeps away tigers then I don't know what is.

8. I like the idea of parsley sprigs to keep away tigers, here in LA, ya never know

9. txturbo

txturbo

Dont know about it being used for preventative measures....but once you get stuck rings or valves it will usually unstick them. $10 for a bottle is way better than tearing a motor down to rering it. I've bought used cars with stuck rings and $10 and a couple days later they are good to go. So keep on throwing parsley out the window if you want....but if you get stuck rings give MMO a try.

10. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana

While I did not have 20 GMC 270's at the same time to test, I know for a fact that Marvels made the one I had crank over easier in sub zero weather. I drove one several winters in the early 90's.

11. Model T1

Model T1

I commented on this post way back and still believe in Marvel Mystery oil. Maybe ATF and other things also work. But I know as a fact MMO does. Don't need no stinkin fancy tests. Besides it's pretty and smells good.

12. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

The parsley theory is flawed. A tiger is most likely to attack if you're riding a bicycle.

13. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Well....my father used to use Rislone to free up old motors with stuck rings. He'd drive the car and slowly, over 6 months or so, you could see the compression come back up. The Rislone 'probably' helped un-stick the rings.

He had a 170 Slant Six that had sat for a decade....it had almost no compression. We towed it in gear behind a truck to get it to start and it finally ran as soft as a pillow - I mean like almost no power. Within 6 months it was at 125lbs in every cylinder and he drive it daily for over 10 years. Then, he let it sit as he bought his first car ever with A/C. This was about 1995. 5 years went by and we went to start the 170 and it was back to no compression.

14. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

This has got to be the best reply to any thread I've seen in months!!! Well played!

15. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

I'm going to have to Snopes this...

16. jesse1980

jesse1980

I use it to unstick engines every now and then

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There is NOTHING on the internet linking a connection with the Rolls Royce company and MMO. There are a lot of people repeating that fallacy. HOWEVER, I go by personal experience and so far, MMO doesn't do any harm and seems to keep my engine parts clean.

18. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

I use it...probably doesn't do anything noticeable, good or bad.
    Sorry, no scientific evidence I know of.
    But at least it "looks traditional", kinda like snake oil to psychologically
    counterbalance the negative spirits of ethanol corn?

I don't even know what that means.. But it goes in all my mower or old car oil & gas in very small amounts.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. JD Miller

JD Miller

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  20. pdq67

pdq67

Yes, engine rings and top end dry, put some MMO in her and go!

An old Mechanic taught me this back in the late '60's.

Nowadays, half a small bottle in my fresh oil and the rest in my gas tank at fill up.

pdq67

21. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

This is why I love this web sight. Think about it for a minute, would you pour mineral spirits or any type of solvent in your engine? Mr. Marvel used it as a carburetor cleaner, or a top oil, that was big in the 50's, not now, solvent with light carrier oil. The good thing is that as your engine gets hot, the solvent burns off, no harm no foul. Then someone figured it was good for a rust penetrant and told all hid car buddies. So Mr. Marvel laughed all the way to the bank !!

22. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

An old guy here used WD40 for everything. He bought gallon cans and it was his go-to product. The biggest laugh was that he rubbed it on his chest when he had a cold.

23. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

MMO has always worked great for me, I'm a believer~!

24. 1934coupe

1934coupe

And chicken soup does no good for you either.

Pat

25. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

When I was a gas pump jockey we had our own version of MMM. My friends Rambler used a lot of oil so when ever it was low he would top it off with the catch all on the "island"(remember those?) that had ATF, different weights of oil, power steering fluid, STP. Drove that car everywhere........

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, you too?! Same here! No tiger attacks here either!

27. bigken

bigken

I use it at every fill-up. Still running a '58, original engine, and use it. Used to use it in an old Harley I had, the old motors don't get top-end lube, with todays gas.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Next, on this week's episode of Sounds Like Science....

29. I still believe in it. Smells great, has a cool looking can and if it actually works, that's a bonus.

Bob

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Scientific? I would assume if your engine is pinging and you put MMO in the gas tank and it stops, then maybe it had something to do with stopping it? Or was it the parsley you tossed out the window?