Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Tether Cars

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Damn thats one awsome paper weight.

2. Really cool cars. Just starting my own collection w/ my kids and were having a blast.

Attached Files:

3. I wish I had a few of these as I have always be taken by them. Speedy Bills colection makes me want to go back and look agin and agin.

4. Speedtwin

Speedtwin

My latest build!

Attached Files:

5. Speedtwin

Speedtwin

As you can see - it fits in well with the others in my 'Flying Hot Rod Division'.

Attached Files:

rotten ron likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's mine. Dooling "F" inherited from my uncle. Hornet 60 power. Unfortunately locked up.

7. A Boner

A Boner

They say you can hold a hair dryer, or heat gun up to the cylinder and it might free it up. Just go slow and take it easy on it, as you are dealing with real small engine parts.

8. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

You can soak the engine in rubbing alcohol to free them up.

9. No go guys....I can actually see that part of the ring is missing off the piston.
    Don't care if it ever runs again.

10. mitecars

mitecars

A model race car and model engine swap meet, hosted by Herb Singe, is held each year in conjunction with the Hershey antique auto show and swap meet. Attached are some photos from this year's event held on the evening of October 9, 2013.

Attached Files:

• 057.jpg
      057.jpg
      File size:
      315.7 KB
      Views:
    • 049.jpg
      049.jpg
      File size:
      282.2 KB
      Views:
    • 050.jpg
      050.jpg
      File size:
      281 KB
      Views:
    • 052.jpg
      052.jpg
      File size:
      228.1 KB
      Views:
    • 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      191.2 KB
      Views:
    • 058.jpg
      058.jpg
      File size:
      196.1 KB
      Views:
    • 059.jpg
      059.jpg
      File size:
      299.9 KB
      Views:
    • 055.jpg
      055.jpg
      File size:
      186.3 KB
      Views:
    • 056.jpg
      056.jpg
      File size:
      285.9 KB
      Views:
    • 054.jpg
      054.jpg
      File size:
      237.7 KB
      Views:
    • 053.jpg
      053.jpg
      File size:
      286.5 KB
      Views:
    rotten ron likes this.
  11. mitecars

mitecars

Best Wishes for the Holiday Season and the Coming Year!

Attached Files:

12. A Boner

A Boner

Is that Herb in the red sweater, holding one of his Bremer Whirlwinds?

13. sota

sota

Yes that is Herb

14. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

These are my own copies of a couple of Tether Cars. I made 6 in total, I kept #1, the black car, and #6. I built 2 on commission. 1 of which was a copy of a V8-60 powered midget that is on Display at Ocean Park Ford in Surrey BC. My replica is in the display case in front of the parts counter there.

Attached Files:

15. Aero

Aero
    from Portland

I’ve always admired these cars so I finally decided to build one. This is not intended to be a reproduction of anything, but an original design that is a representation of, what I consider to be, the “Golden Age” of tether cars. The late 1930s an 40s when the cars were intended to look like real race cars of the day, but still be fast and competitive.

My shop consists of a drill press, hacksaw and a bunch of files. I bashed the body out of .063, 3003 aluminum, gas welded from five pieces. The frame is constructed from several pieces of 6061, corrosion resistant aluminum. The “plan-as-you-go” method resulted in the bottom of the body as pictured being sawed off in preparation for a full belly pan.

The rear end is a Gary Barns unit, the engine is a Woody Bartlet Hornet, the wheels are Dooling F repros, and the tires are Voit. The tires will limit me to 60 MPH until I can find more race worth items. The car should run in the 80s which would be competitive in the day. At the point pictured here I am about to build a fuel tank.
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Attached Files:

A Boner and Asphalt Demon like this.
  16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That is impressive and beautiful, particularly for a scratchbuilt car. Great job!

17. Aero

Aero
    from Portland

Well I've finished the tank. Made from .032 brass silver soldered.

Attached Files:

rotten ron likes this.
  18. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

I found this a few years ago on top of a freezer in a guys garage.

Attached Files:

rotten ron likes this.
  19. Aero

Aero
    from Portland

That looks very interesting. I don't know anything about BB Korn cars other than the display models I see on Ebay. Yours is obviously a running car. Looks like a great project to put back in running condition. What type of engine?

20. Dad's 1932

Dad's 1932
    from Santa Rosa

[​IMG]

I don't think one of these have been posted yet . My Dad worked at California Hobby Distributors in Burbank CA as a young man . The story goes they had this in there display case on loan from Roy Cox . My Dad really liked it and he said Roy came in from time to time . One day Roy gave this to my Dad because the owner of the company, My Dad's friend had told Roy my Dad really liked it . It has been in the family ever since . I have no way to verify any of this but that is what I remember .
    Either way , it will continue to stay in the family and be on "display"

[​IMG]

Not sure how many cut away Thimble Drome's there are out there . I am sure there are a few more since they were used as displays in Hobby shops . Enjoy :D

A Boner likes this.
  21. mitecars

mitecars

A major collection of gas powered miniature race cars will be offered for sale this weekend at the annual Sabbatini's Collecto in Fresno, CA

Attached Files:

22. Aero

Aero
    from Portland

Finished the ignition.

Attached Files:

23. ^^^^^ Wow! There's an old hot rod term that applies here...Sanitary!

24. Aero

Aero
    from Portland

Okay, about ready to go. As soon as I get the flywheel turned (farmed out to a machinist I'm afraid) I'll finish the drive-line, run in the engine, and off to the track. I'm showing it this way at the colecto Feb. fourth. After shakedown runs there will be some detailing and then paint.

Attached Files:

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It's so pretty in bare metal, it'll be a shame to paint it. Maybe consider painting some scallops and numbers on it, but leaving the rest bare aluminum.

26. Polish the metal and paint some scallops and a number on it. That thing is gorgeous.

27. Aero

Aero
    from Portland

Well thanks guys. Truth is it's not good enough to polish, but while the polished ones are pretty, I'm more into the era where they intended the cars to look more like real race cars, and I've never seen a polished race car. I'll do my best with the paint job.

28. Roboserve

Roboserve

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Atwater Mike likes this.
  29. mitecars

mitecars

hershey collecto 2014.jpg
    Each year, Herb Singe and his son, Herb, Jr., host a gas powered miniature race car and model engine swap meet, held in conjunction with the AACA antique auto show and swap meet held in Hershey, PA. This year's model race car and model engine swap meet will be held in the Campbelltown Fire Hall in Campbelltown, PA, just outside of Hershey, during the evening of Wednesday, October 8. This event traditionally attracts a large number of tether car enthusiasts and a number of gas powered miniature race cars are offered for sale at this event. Attached is a copy of the flyer for the swap meet.

30. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

I have several 39-40 Mercury Dooling cars. One is a wall hanger,Missing a few parts, it is set up for a track with bearings on the bottom.I have another one complete which is a tether car. The early tether cars were larger cars. Look at the first picture compared to the 392 hemi valve cover. 100_3779.JPG 100_3777.JPG 100_3778.JPG . Not a wall hanger

Asphalt Demon likes this.