Register now to get rid of these ads!

Famous Texas Tracks, Cars, Stories and SpeedShops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69Chevelle454, Dec 28, 2011.

1. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

More for my friends.

Attached Files:

2. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

Few more

Attached Files:

3. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

Thats it for today.

Attached Files:

4. BlownBlu55

BlownBlu55
    from East TX

My Dad has this old program from Caddo Mills (March 1961) featuring Jack's Auto Parts Howards Cams Special from Ft Worth.

Attached Files:

5. partsrivet

partsrivet

Figured it was time for some more Texas related stuff. Here's Pete Seaton arriving at Green Valley for the match bash in 1966. Does anyone recall when this was? People are wearing jackets so it must be spring-maybe April or May. [​IMG]

6. partsrivet

partsrivet

No idea who these guys are but it's from the same day as the Funny Car meet in 1966. Check out the starter-certainly more personable than a Christmas tree! [​IMG]

7. partsrivet

partsrivet

Gene Snow's 426 Dart at Green Valley 1966[​IMG]

8. partsrivet

partsrivet

Johnny Dodson ran a grocery store over in West Dallas. Think he also had an interest in the machine shop where John Walling worked. The shop was down in the industrial district near AEECO of Irving Blvd and was a local racer hangout. It had one of the old style Coke machines that dispensed Coke in returnable bottles. This is when Coke bottles had the city they were originally from cast into to the glass on the bottom. A favorite game was to bet on who'd get a bottle from the most distance city. Betting on bottles right out of the machine was fun, but you quickly learned not to bet on the empties in the cases-that game was rigged! More of life's lessons imparted at a young age. [​IMG]

9. partsrivet

partsrivet

Bones Carroll and Charlie Connell work on the Carroll Brothers blower manifold during qualifying at the Tulsa points race in April, 1967. They lost out to Vic Brown, but I don't remember if Vic was driving for Bob Creitz or someone else. [​IMG]

10. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Thanks to all of you who keep posting the great pictures and history of racing in Texas. Keeps me motivated.

11. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

I too would like to say a BIG "Thank You" to all the people who have posted pictures and told stories of Drag Racing in Texas. Man, Texas did truly have some Big Time Drag Racing and better yet alot of Stars and Legends to boot!

Keep'um coming guys! We are indeed looking and reading all!

Gary Ratliff aka 1940 Willys Coupe

Now back to the honey bun and a shot of Jack Daniels!

12. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

I would like to say the biggest thank you. When I started the thread it was my hope to learn more about what I live on and hear the stories and see the photo's of something thats all but forgotten by everyone else outside of Texas.

This thread exceeded my expectations, I expected only a few people to be interested and fewer who even remembered about Green Valley, it seems if it wasnt in California it didnt happen no matter how big and how important Green Valley was. So thank you all!

Attached Files:

13. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Hey 69Chevelle454!

Special thank you to you for starting this Great Texas Drag Racing thread!

With Labor Day coming up who cannot think of that Holiday and not think of the AHRA Nationals at Green Valley Raceway that were held many years during Labor Day Weekend. How about some stories guys on your Labor Day Experience at Green Valley!

Again,Thanks to All!

14. Interesting thread. Lovin' the roundy- round stuff.

15. rfraze

rfraze

Here's a new perspective; Green Valley was as important to racers from around the country as it was for those of us who were lucky enough to spectate there. You may remember the Airoso Bros. blue Willys from Tulare, CAL. Joe Airoso was visiting a few weeks ago and I showed him the aerial view of Green Valley here. A million memories must have come back to him as he started talking about what a pilgrimage it was for them to come to Green Valley and what a great time it was. He can remember every race and e.t., but he also remembered a large dairy there. The Airoso family just celebrated their 100th anniversary as dairymen. The responsibilities of an operation like that tend to limit one's travel, so the trips to Indy and Green Valley broadened fan's appreciation of this well respected California racer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  16. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Hey rfraze!

Thanks for your comment on Green Valley and the Airoso Brother. Yes, Green Valley may have been in Texas but racers everywhere knew about this place. Was very common to see Big John Mazmanian, Doug Cook, Beebe and Mulligan there in the 60's and 70's just to name a few guys from the West Coast.
    Hey guys! Labor Day weekend is coming up. How about a story two on the AHRA Nationals held during that weekend!

Thanks to All!

1940 Willys Coupe

17. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

Here you go guys!

Attached Files:

18. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

Im only into the F's so Ive got plenty more pics.

Attached Files:

19. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

20. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

^^^ I'd like to know the story on this one. ^^^

21. pushrod_mike

pushrod_mike
    from Austin TX

Here is a picture of my dads car at Green Valley that a guy just dropped off at our shop. I met the guy the Roundup and said he had some pictures from Green Valley and I said if you have any of 57 Chevys I'd love to see them and he dropped this one off as it was the only one of a 57 Chevy he had. It turned out to be of my dads car and the last one he ran at the Valley. I got to looking around and I have the timing slips of that day too. My dads name is David McBroom and he was known as Huck if any of you guys remember running against him. He was in the Leonard Stockers Race Team and Car Club.

Attached Files:

22. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

I just got into this - brings it all back! I sent a note to Forrest. Hope he'll post up some stuff.

23. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Hey 1badnov!

Great picture of the Nova! The guys in that picture are Big Mike Burkhart and Harry Schmidt. This had to around 1965 maybe Mike's first funny car. Later Harry went out on his own and started the Blue Max legend.

Great picture also with the 57 Chev and the story that goes along with it.

Hey Chevelle! Great pictures of Green Valley and it's "other life" as a road course race track. Now we know the "rest of story"

Keep'um coming guys. Labor Day weekend is coming up and the Nationals at Green Valley are on tap-at least in our minds!

1940 Willys Coupe

24. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Ok boys and girls, Labor Day Weekend is upon us so let's dig way back into the old treasure chest and roll back the hands of time to September 1, 1966, AHRA Nationals at Green Valley Raceway located near Ft. Worth,TX.

Saturday Morning, beautiful day, My Dad, Vernon, my Uncle Harold, my Brother, Alan and 12 year old me. Green Valley, race cars everywhere, people everywhere, the smell of burnt tire rubber, nitro, corn dogs, hamburgers, it was all there!
    As I said, there were indeed race cars everywhere, but for this writing let's just deal with two cars and two people and top fuel. At this event there were lots of "stars" but at the top of star list was none other than Vance Hunt and Bobby Langley. Both had top fuel cars and were the home town favorites since they both lived in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. Bobby Langley, The ol' Scropion himself, wearing a beard and looking like a pirate and Vance Hunt, The Holy Terror man himself, standing about 5 feet 6 inches, bald headed with a black hat on. He too looked like a pirate. Back in those days you just didn't see to many people wearing beards or bald headed guys either. Today, no big deal, back then-different to say the least.
    Ten AM, first call for top fuel qualifying. First two cars down the fire-up road, Bobby and Vance. Bobby's first, real quite,no noise, push car is pushing Bobby's car towards the starting line. Then the candles are lit and that nitro goes to popping. Right behind Bobby is Vance with his 1964 White Chevrolet Surburban pushing his top fuel car. Candles are lit on Vance' car and another car with nitro is popping. Talk about loud! As both cars near the starting line people jump out of the push vehicles to get the cars lined up for the starting line. Nitro fumes so thick in the air you couldn't them with a knife. Loud, eyes watering, can't even here yourself think! The cars are at the starting line, reving up, loud and louder! Me? Holding my ears. Green light! Go! Tire smoke and alot of it,(this is before slipper clutches came along) the strong,strong smell of Nitro
    Tire smoke for the full quarter mile, the finish line and all is quite again. People start to go nuts! Yelling,hollering,and clapping for what they had just seen and heard! Me? I'm in a state of shock! What did I just see? Couldn't believe it! Man! you talk about the real deal, Bobby Langley and Vance Hunt WERE the real deal. The weekend contiued. Finals were run on Sunday. Can't remember who won. Didn't care! This for me is where drag racing all started. It was unreal then and still as I think of it today it is unreal, but it did happen and I thank God for allowing me to be there and see it.

So that's the way it was back then for a 12 year old kid, wide eyed and not clue!

Hope my fellow HAMBERS will forgive me for this long rant. This story is dedicated to my Dad, my brother, partsrivet, and 69Chevelle454.

25. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

http://public.fotki.com/1badnov/nova-drag-pics/burkhart-novas/

[​IMG]

26. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Hey 1 badnova!

Great! Great! picture of the "Early" Big Mike! I seen the red, white, and blue Nova/Chev2 run at Whitehouse Dragstrip in Whitehouse,TX many times probably around 1965.

Keep'um coming! and thanks. Guess the next question is, where did you get these photo's? They look like they may have come from the personal collection of Mike Burkhart.

By the way, Mike ran a 1957 Chev.before the Nova/Chev2 though I never seen him run the car. Anybody know?

1940 Willys Coupe

27. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

28. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

Great Great stories guys! Especially you Willys Coupe! Thanks so much for helping me out and to all of you! Here is another set :D

Attached Files:

29. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

Btw guys remember you can include any race track in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, New Mexico (all states surrounding Texas).