Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ok, So It's Stupid-Now Tell Me WHY It Won't Work! Supercharged Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Ok so Buddy let me see if I got this right, you have 325 CI at lets say 7000 RPM requires 658CFM at 100% VE or 546 at 83% VE you want to go 200 MPH which will cover 3.33 miles in a minute so if you use the last two miles with boost you will need somewhere between 546 to 658 CF of air at 14 psi, humm with EFI and maybe some type of flapper valve to shut out atmospheric pressure, and then pressurize the manifold once up to speed......HUMMMMMM

2. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I think we've determined that we can carry enough air to make a run. 90 seconds of boost will be enough.

I agree that a flapper valve, of some design, will work to switch between atmospheric, and compressed air. I've received a lot of PM's, and emails on this- thank you. I need to reed and study the suggestions, then figure out how to make this work.

I'm thinking a flapper valve to isolate the boost, EFI, boost sender, MAP sensor, and some electronically operated flow valves. The valves could be operated by the EFI operating system.

Carl, this would be cool on your FED!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  3. so would the 4-71 I already have................

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Yes, I can't wait to see it with the 4-71!

5. one step at a time......

6. Dzus

Dzus

Now we're talkin'. Want to take this to the nth degree? If you want a rocket, build a rocket.

Sorta.

So what is the purpose of the blower? To pack more molecules of oxygen in a cylinder. Inject the correct ratio of fuel to oxidize with every molecule of oxygen to make power. More oxygen, more fuel, more power.

Let's just jump to the chase. How compressed can you make oxygen? A liquid. We now have direct injectors. So, one direct injector per cylinder for the fuel, say liquid hydrogen. One other direct injector per cylinder for liquid oxygen. Don't need no blower. Don't need no intake. Don't even need any intake valve. It's entirely fed through those two injectors.

While the hurdles would be monumental, I think we live in an era where it would almost be possible to achieve. Hell most of the technology needed for this was pioneered over 50 years ago for the the trip it to the moon.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Russian Roulette for hotrodders, anyone?:eek:

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The problem I see with only using boost for part of the run would be tuning for two widely different air pressures. You would have to use electronic fuel injection with wide range injectors that can supply enough fuel under boost but still be able to cut back enough to run without boost. With a blower, the carburetor is on top and the compression takes place after the fuel and air mixes going through the carburetor. A supercharger with a carburetor requires the carburetor to be inside the pressurized envelope. Carburetors don't handle varying air pressures very well. Racers tune for the conditions at the time of the event.

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I believe it would have to run in a fuel class have to be EFI. Running fuel, it could run 'fat' on atmospheric air.

Megasquirt makes an EFI controller, for boost- why not simply utilize it, with dual mapping? Hell, maybe even dual injectors, if necessary.

10. Reverborama

Reverborama
    from Minnesota

The real question is how to get more A/F into the cylinder using no horsepower from the engine, keeping the weight down, and being moderately safe. Compressed air is going to be kind of heavy and really dangerous. An electric powered supercharger is going to need heavy batteries, unless they get that cold fusion thing working and then who's going to be wasting their time with internal combustion. You could run the supercharger with a separate gas engine. But what about a solid-fuel rocket motor? You could run a turbine with it, pressurize your plenum, bleed off any excess boost, and set it up to "run" for the length of time you race -- several seconds for the strip, a couple of minutes for Bonneville.

11. Keep

Keep

12. spellsinger

spellsinger
    from California

Very interesting thread. But something sticks in my mind, there was a comment earlier about using pure oxygen. Depending on the volume of the intake manifold and cylinders, and having available gasoline, you are talking about a seriously strong grenade in case of a tiny backfire. my guess is that you might have something left from the windshield forward, but not much.

But in the spirit of things, using hydrogen peroxide and a catalyst, you could make a rocket motor fairly safely from a piston engine. doubtless the engineering would be fantastic, but at least it is a safe compound till turned into hydrogen and oxygen.

13. Well Buddy I quess you could always do this....If you look real hard you can see the 6-71 in there......
    [​IMG]

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.:rolleyes:

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Now I could be wrong about this, I'm old, and my memory sometimes plays tricks on me, but weren't Mickeys experiments with this brought to a close by a rather spectacular starting line explosion?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  16. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

now.. since we are being a bit.. odd here.. i may as well roll this one out.

what would it take to convert a normal.. say.. 351c into a two stroke?
    could it be done?

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Isn't this just describing Nitrous Oxide?

18. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-------------
    Yep....and when - not if- something goes
    even infinitesimally wrong, that's exactly
    where you'll be headed to, too....to the
    moon!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Mart3406 ("who firmly believes
    that 'rocket science' really is 'rocket
    science'!!!
    ":D"
    ============

19. morac41

morac41

Hi.. Use a 30" long pulse jet engine exaust into the inlake manifold... plenty of pressure ..no HP to drive it.....very cheap to build.....run on kero.....LOL.....