Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Capital of the USA, where is it???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Nov 3, 2011.

1. As`far as car shows.....that's current stuff to me. Back in the 60's-70's....I think a "hot rod capitol" was more based on how many hot rods roamed the streets on a daily basis. JMO

2. solid

solid

Even a farm f#$k like me knows it's so-cal. I have been readin' in books and what not, since i was a kid. I got some kin there too. They even named that whole part of california after a speed shop...

3. big creep

big creep

is this pissing contest still going on?

4. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Thiese two guys need to get out more

5. I love this, You guys are funny!!!

6. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Arkansas City, KS

7. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i'm still sticking with new england. so-cal can just keep wishing it was them because they had/have all their purty magazines, press-talk, "builders", loads of money and wonderful weather year round.

Us New Englanders are the die-hards

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not familiar with the So-Cal scene but theres all kinds of rod runs and car related activity in the Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky area. I'll tell you one thing its not the NW Florida area. We have a house down there and I don't even bring my cars down there. They stay in Kentucky.

9. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

True

10. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Not in my neck of the woods in Wisconsin. It is pretty dead around here. Most of the stupid scrappers took the good stuff in years ago. I've gotten many offers by scrappers to help clean my property of running and driving 50s cars. I've had people remark about how my 59 Plymouth with 36,000 miles on it in excellent shape would make a great demo car :rolleyes: The only scene around here is how much one can expect to get from their earned income credit for a down payment on a new Kia. Oh and how many brawls one can get into on the weekend at a bar. The only thing this place might be the capital of is white trash. Did I mention my town sucks :D

11. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Well I can tell you it sure ain't Tucson Az...

12. Cruiser

Cruiser

Depends how you define it: Based numbers of vintage cars it would be the Mid West, USA - Based on our your hearts, it's where it all started and reminds the "King of Hot Rodding" Southern California with it's sunshine and year around cruising. :D

CRUISER :cool:

13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

It's your driveway if ya got a rod,if not it's the nearist driveway with one;)

14. I'd have to say, without a doubt... LosAngeles. Especially that corridor along hwy 10.

Listen to these names... Covina, Alhambra, San Gabriel, Pasadena, Pomona, Los Angeles, Ontario, Whittier, Glendale, Burbank... etc.

Granted, Petersen Publishing didn't have to go far to record what would become our history.

But there was such a high concentration of hot rodding after WWII, that no other area would be able support a publication that became as successful as Petersen's.

Through that magazine... the rest of the United States, and eventually the world became infected.

Land Speed racing, Drag Racing, off shore boat racing, Midget Racing, BMX racing... and even though what we know as Motocross racing started in the UK, it was in Southern California where it grew.

Face it, most locomotion sports if not invented in Southern California, saw their largest gains in popularity there.

Whatever fosters this, is what makes SoCal Hot Rodding's Capitol...

Then... and because there has been so much of it passed down to other generations, now.

Sam

15. You rock.

:D

Sam

16. Bilt

Bilt

Arkansas City, Kansas is in SoCow....or southern Cowley County, Kansas as the locals call it. Winfield, Kansas is in NoCow or northern Cowley County, Kansas. I've seen alot of votes for southern Cowley County but they keep spelling it wrong...SoCal.:rolleyes: Winfield, Ks was even named after a famous car builder, Gene Winfield.:D That would make Cowley County the Hot Rod Capital!!!!:eek:

17. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

You nailed it

18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Gotta agree with this one. From where I stand there is too much history here in Ohio for anything else to be number two.

19. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

20. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

The Southland is it; if you still have doubts about that, you have not attended the GNRS. Or any other SoCal event for the past 60 years for that matter.

21. Leos88

Leos88
    from Corona

Pomona does have allot of history, You can find allot of information through researching the town, especially when it comes to the birth of the NHRA.. I Personally think its all SoCal; the nesting grounds for Hot Rods and Kustoms. The popularity exploded in the late 40's to the early 50's with Hot Rods and Kustoms and the gospel was then spread throughout the country. A good book to pick up would be Hot Rod & Customs Chronicle; talks allot about the birth and growth. But of course, respectively everyone has their own opinions and that's cool...:cool:

22. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

Detroit...The Motor City

23. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Hot Rod Capital So-Cal
    Racing Capital is Mid-West

I moved out this way thinking I could race year round. They can't seem to keep tracks open out this way. Kind of blows ass.

24. A Boner

A Boner

Probably L.A.........but it sure isn't the best place to drive a HOT ROD in the U.S.A.

25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

LA is a small part of SoCal...Pacific Coast Highway and mountain roads are plentiful.
    We all avoid going into L.A.
    Today it was 76 degrees, 10% humidity and blue skies.
    T-shirt, windows down driving kind of day...as usual
    ====================:)

26. butch27

butch27

Have to agree. Ohio is #2

27. Has anyone mentioned So Cal yet? If not i was gonna vote for there.

28. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

los ángeles

Attached Files: