Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Quiet Kustom: 1962 Pontiac Grand Prix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Here's the 64 GP that I built for Lou Calasibetta while working at The Old Stillwater Garage. Got rid of the grille lamps and added some perforated stainless and some bullets, installed 69 GP pop-out door handles, shaved all emblems, 59 Pontiac taillights with custom lenses, Chromed rear quarter caps, and lowered about 2.5 inches. The interior has stock seat covers and doorpanels minus the emblems with a custom dash pad and package tray, and all of the wood veneer was replaced with translucent green diamond plastic. The roof is Green 'flake and the body is a green Caddy Firemist color.

Attached Files:

2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I like it! A lot of nice Pontiacs have come out of that shop.

3. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Did anyone built a bad looking car in 1962.But 62 Pontiac Grand Prix make me high and hard

4. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

Nice to see a salute to a full size Pontiac.

Almost all Pontiacs? Weren't the 1962 Canadian Pontiac B-bodies an X-frame? I probably learned this from you Matt - or Stuart. I know, I know.... kinda nit-picky but isn't that what Pontiac guys do?

5. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Here is the first "GM" I have ever had in my possession thanks to my ever loving and Pontiac to the core fiance' BlayneA.

When we found "Elwood" , we named after Elwood Blues in quite a state of disrepair he came alive with not mutch tinkering. The eight lugs were in the trunk and most everything on the car was intact but left for dead. The four barrel was full of crap but the "Slim Jim" was Slim. With nothing more than a tune up and hydraulics replaced "He" has become a daily driven part of our happy family. Of course we cut the coils, added the Belflower's and installed a set of HURST RACING TIRES.
    The fronts are our own 26x5.5x14 and out back the "Casler 27x7x14

Thanks to Blayne I have been touched by the GM Bug , but my roots will always remain MOPAR

HOTRODRUBBER
    Adams Hot Rod Rubber / HURST RACING TIRES

Attached Files:

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

US Pontiacs had an X-frame through 1960, in 1961 they switched to the perimeter frame. Canadian Pontiacs used a Chevy frame, which remained the X-frame style through 1964.

7. BlayneA

BlayneA

Elwood (seen above) has been my "Dream Car" since I was 16yrs old. I have always been a GM/Pontiac Girl, but when the opportunity came to own a 63 Gp, I dropped everything to bring him home. They just dont build them like this anymore!!!!
    ~BlayneA

8. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

One of my all time favorites and 62 Grand Prix are getting extremly rare. When I was a youngster the neighbor across the street had one in solid black, I used lust after the car and the neigbors wife that drove it they were both hot. I am sure she looks pretty worn out if if she is even alive by now but, the GrandPrix's are still very nice, wished I had one.

9. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

D'oh! You nailed me on that, Monkey. I plead ignorance to the Canadian Pontiacs

10. The Canadian Pontiacs also all had a Chevy engine and were NOT wide tracks.

I had a white with red interior '62 GP up until about 6 years ago. It had the base 308 horse, 389 incher with a slim-jim tranny, 8 lug wheels and a power seat. The son-of-a-bitch that bought it still owes me 400 bucks.

11. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Canadian BUILT Pontiacs..

We could buy the US cars as well.

My '62 Laurentian is a Chevy underneath. Except we got a 261 instead of a 235.

Shawn

12. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Pffffft......tiny little things!!!

I got me a 62 Bonneville 4dr Hardtop......now THAT`s stylin :D

13. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

Cool Stuff! I like the "Green Prix" More pics please! The red 61 is a 4 Speed Tri Power? :eek: cool!

My new baby! 389 4 bbl. TRi Power is planned, and I'm looking for correct Bucket Seats '58-'61....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

15. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

And my 64 Grand Prix with 8 lugs. Still looking for a right fender and a good front bumper! Can also swap against a new chromed 62 Bumper!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  16. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

and my buddy Christian's, of Germany's "Oldschool Custom Works" '62 "Rusteeze" Grand Prix with Tri Power original paint, with his matching 65 Falcon. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. flamingokid

flamingokid

My Brother in Law just sold his '64 last summer.Absoltely the cleanest survivor out there with 57k actual.

18. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

I almost bought a 63 a few years ago. I had to go out of town, and when I get back someone told me about it being hauled on a local scrap yard trailer.

19. I bought this 64 in 1995, it was my daily driver for 5 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Love the '62s.

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I really wanted a 62 GP when they were just used cars in the middle 60s but I never found one. I settled for a 4spd 63 Catalina. There were a few 4spd 62 GPs around but most were automatics.

My 63 was originally a 3 on the tree. I wish it was a 62.

22. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

To "Engine-Ear" here's more of the mean GP from Oldschool Customs for u.
    And couldn't resist, the "Little Rustard" Falcon also. Very few cars have a look like this over here, but that original beaten paint is startin' to get popular. Good mechanical condition and worn out paint is very cool I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. rb25

rb25

btw, the ´62 is a #m tripower, the falcon a #m 4spd 289 sprint... i love them.

24. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here is what made the '62 HD Pontiac's tick. It was some terrific horsepower for the day. If one went back for the dealer installed performance options it even became faster. There is still a '62 Grand Prix HD car here in Vacaville, CA. There weren't as few produced as first thought but still a rare and nice automobile.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

25. BigAquaBonney

BigAquaBonney

26. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Very nice car! I like the chrome wheels.

Good luck on finding bucket seats... if you do find some, you may have to sell your first born son to afford them. ;)

27. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Imagine my surprise when I took her out for coffee and discovered the "low fuel" light came on. I didn't know they had those in those days, much less working after all these years.

28. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

Some great photos posted here! The big Pontiacs are my favorite, having owned 9 ranging from '59 through '67, I'm a huge fan. Don 't have one currently, but will again some day.

29. 64sshemi

64sshemi
    from weare n.h.

One of the guys we hung out with bought a new 62 Grand Prix, all black with white interior, 348 H.P.Tri power, 4 speed trans. 8 lug wheels.
    Without a doubt it was one of most beautiful cars of that era.:)

30. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

I always thought it might be interesting to put the 61 Safari taillights on the ends of the fins and fill in all the rest.