Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Capital of the USA, where is it???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Nov 3, 2011.

1. cruzr

cruzr

So Cal.............hands down.........if you really want to narrow it down then probably Los Angeles..........although a lot of "roots" in Orange County also

Santa Ana Drags, Creighton Hunter,Stan Betz,Dick Kraft,and a host of others ,all from the "OC"

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

Since the FIRST hot rod carclub was formed in Southern California, and it is still active today, I believe it's right here. Bonneville was mentioned, but Speedweek is run by the Southern California Timing Association (SCTA)! Indy was also mentioned, and Frank Kurtis fielded probably more cars than anyone in it's history, all built in Southern California, too....

3. derbydad276

derbydad276

I was just in dearborn and talked to Henry he says Detroit!

4. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Los Angeles, California.

And surrounding areas. :D

5. I don't know where it is but is sure as hell is not Hilo Hawaii .IN 1966 I went to so cal for the first time. I grew up in NY and icould not believe how many hot cars were in cali.

6. Muttley

Muttley

I can tell you it's not Fresno.

7. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

LA for sure, every time we visit I'm amazed and find more history!

8. HAHAHA I love it ! :D

9. Great answers guys, some really funny stuff . Great read first thing in the morning, speaking of which, its off to work for now. Have fun today guys. Later.

10. Southern California for sure, that's where it all started also. Austin/San Antonio area is right up there tho.

11. roughneck424

roughneck424

Me too. I was driving down Slauson Ave in Culver City yesterday and spotted the old Isky building. The sign still painted on the wall. Kinda faded but still there.

12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

So Cal then Ohio

13. harley rider

harley rider

Salina kansas the last week of july!

14. BillWallace

BillWallace

15. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I think that a lot of hot rodding began right here in southern New England despite the fact that all the big wig magazines were being published in california where they featured california cars. There is A LOT of hot rod history in new england and a lot of cars here.

16. Jimv

Jimv

I'm going to brag here & say that in the towns of Cumberland,RI, lincoln,RI,Pawtucket, RI & Attleboro,Ma theres a ton of hotrods on the road.On a nice warm night you can drive around & see at least 15-20 rods cruising & a few that you don't know or have seen before.And thats in a short cruise!! there all a joining towns so you can cover a lot in 1 nite.
    we have a honey dew donut shop in cumberland,RI & it looks like "mels drive in" on a friday, sunday or tuesday nite.
    JimV

17. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

18. How about Marquette, Nebraska??? pop, 280...List of hot rods that live there.
    1- 32 Ford roadster
    2- 32 Ford 2 dr sedans
    1- 50 Merc
    1- 64 Chev SS
    1- 57 Chev Ht
    1- 63 Nova
    1- 54 Chev truck w/327
    1- 70 Charger
    1- 40 Ford 2 dr
    1- 37 Ford 2dr flatback
    1- 67 Camero
    1- 34 Ford 2dr sedan yet to be built, but gathering parts.

How that is 13 total and a dam good % of total population

19. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Hot Rods--LA
    Cars --Detroit
    Wheat--Kansas

20. I have to agree 100%. I LOVE the "Ohio Look". Thank You, Barry Lobeck (RIP) and Scott Sullivan!

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I walked out to my shop and I found the Hot Rod Capitol right here in my back yard:cool:

so its in Michigan, ya'll can stop wondering now:D

22. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

It ain't in Philly, I can tell ya that.

23. Everything starts with the first one.;)

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

yep! New England is where its at. Go cruise down to the Berlin Turnpike in CT (known for its retro places, and famous for its cruising hey-days) and you are gauranteed to see quite a few rods and stockers cruising the strip on a saturday night; getting bites to eat and enjoying the night. Its famous for its street racing too. there's a lot of history here and a lot of new england hot rods here. In the summer months we could prob rival california. Back in the day in New England; theyre cars where driven all year in the snow and whatever. The cars where driven no matter what and quite a few of them survived the test of time and the trying climate. New england has a lot to brag about

25. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Thats just cuz nobodys evolved from the '70's yet!!:D:eek:

26. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

If yer a hot rodder , its were ever you are for me minn 7days a week in the summer something goin on!!!

27. for the fun of trying to make some mad and because of the name. Speed KS

edit- it would help if i could spell.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  28. RichG

RichG

Shoot, it's wherever you find yourself behind the wheel of your hot rod, that's the Capital of Hot Rod Land. It's not a place, it's an experience. When I get behind the wheel of a built by hand machine, I don't care who's out there, I don't care where I am, because I am one with the thing that I have created.

29. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Okay, I am going to have some fun.

Sorry to tell everyone, but it didn't start in So Cal or Bonneville.

Daytona first.

Even as early as 1903 they were doing land speed races and hot rodding anything they could get a hold of. Even steam cars they hot rodded!

Bonneville and California were about 30 years behind the times of Florida before things really got popular there.

Didn't you know that Floridians set the stage for the rest of the country to follow.:)

What about the bootleggers in North Carolina? Hot rodding and customizing, but playing for keeps. Time in the slammer. Playing with their freedom.
    Is So Cal, everyone was playing for a shot in a magazine! not the same. a little soft, a little weak at best.

Remember, because you see it first on TV or magazines, does not make it so.

http://www.firstsuperspeedway.com/articles/daytona-ormond-beach-speed-trials

Have fun

there are cars everywhere, and always has been