Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1952 Allard J2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banjeaux bob, Oct 31, 2011.

1. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Here are some images of a 1952 Allard J2.It's being restored by Marc Hendrix in Belgium.These are his images.

It has a 392 Chrysler Hemi,Ford transmission,Ford front axle,and Ford rear axle.

The job is not finnished yet.The pictures may not be in order or labeled.As they say...one picture is worth a thousand words! This saves me from many typing errors too!

BanjeauX Bob

2. von birch

von birch

very cool. big american hot rod motors in very elegant european looking car. never knew the ford front axle were split into an independent front suspension on allards. you learn somethin new every day!

3. And the rear suspension! Ford center section with, was it swing axles? Gotta go back and look, but inboard drums. Rather exotic rear and rather truck like front. Wild, wonder how they handled, and what the weight is.

Went back and looked, and it looks like a full independent in the rear.

4. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Bob, what's the history of this car?

5. Ole don

Ole don

What is amazing is the wheels survived the hemi!

6. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Bob, i asked only because it reminded me of Bill Pollack's J2, seen here at Pebble Beach in 1953, although this was powered by Cadillac.

Attached Files:

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quite the car. One would have to think that most of those were pretty well documented as to race history and ownership records much like the Ferrari's of the same period.

8. von birch

von birch

didnt even notice, thats amazing...never heard of anything like that before...

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

DeDion rear end, about the only IRS at that time that would handle the big Yankee V8s. All J2 and J2Xs used the IFS split beam axles from Ford. These things are a handful to drive, and you have to appreciate the guys that hurtled through the countryside at breakneck speeds. These were MEN's cars, and for the most part, they still are (if you can find one).

dj

10. cruzr

cruzr

Limeworks just finished a Allard, only Cad powered

11. That'd have to be fun to drive.
    Talk about steer by throttle!

12. Allard Register

Allard Register
    from Fresyes

Bob, do you know what the chassis number is?
    Cheers,
    Colin

13. i did a later allard in no ca after flood
    it had a 392 chrystler buick dynaflo trans dedeon rear with ford diferental center section

14. never got to drive on the road
    the sar was striped for painting just moved it around

15. the rear end had jag inbord brakes
    the axel shaft was ford outer berring ford and a 205 inner made careyer
    i think the front suspention was MGA had that big crosmember
    just like the one on my friends chevway

16. davo461

davo461

I seem to recall that at least some of them had a split Ford I beam front suspension. I have seen some pics showing front wheels at funny angles.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Bob! First time I've ever seen an Allard all apart. There are two ARDUN powered Allards within an hours drive of my house. Years ago there was one here in town just parked in a driveway, I'll always regret not stoping to ask about it, long gone now. Bob

18. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

The holes he filled were the same as in ours, the tail light holes, really crude but hidden when the tail light is installed. Brilliant cars our car drives so nice it's incredible, yet to be driven in anger though !!!!!
    Good luck with the resto , it will be a ton of fun. The one we did was a J2X with the front wishbones going forward to push the engine forward for more leg room .

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Such amazing cars! I love the use of the early ford center section while converted to IRS with inboard drum brakes! Insane!

Steve, Did the Allard you guys just finished have IRS similar to this as well or something else?? I don't recall last time I was there...

20. darrylkmc

darrylkmc

Bob,

There used to be an Allard here in Fairbanks back in the early 80's. I saw it one time, it had a Cadillac engine in it.

Darryl in Fairbanks

21. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I love the heim joint/rod end covers.
    Any details on those?

-Brad

22. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Hey Scooter, the J2X we did has the same rear end but the front is different , ours the wishbones go forward to give more foot room. Rear is De Dion Stylee ,with Coil Springs, very cool.

23. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Very cool cars,..... Didn't most of them have Cadillac power ? or did the buyer get to choose ?

4TTRUK