Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Ford rain gutters... How do you remove them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Sep 25, 2011.

1. I need to rework the rain gutters on my 32 Fordor. I found some 5 window re pops which should give me the piece I need as I am only replacing the front curve area.

How do you remove the factory drip rails so I can splice the new section in?

Thanks in advance...

2. 3blapcam

3blapcam

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

They are spot welded on and I think they are ever 3.5" so if you find one you should be able to measure that to the next one to find them. I just took my driver's side off the other day and I drilled a few out and I also slid a very skinny cut off wheel in between to get others off.

I would wire wheel the drip rail first so you can pin point them and then drill them out with a rotobrotche which is like a spotweld hole saw. Good luck!

4. Yeah... That's what I was thinking although because it's at the front curve I wasn't sure.

I'm gonna buy a spot weld cutter too...

5. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

If you’re not trying to save the piece your cutting off...and you can’t see exactly where the spot welds are to drill, Here’s another way to do it...

Using a cut off wheel or small grinding wheel... carefully and slowly grind away the drip rail in the area where it's spot welded and stop just as you’re grinding through it, before you get into the metal on the roof...

I know everyone says you need a spot weld cutter, but this way has worked well for me... but like I said, carefully and slowly...you can get them off with out grinding/messing up the roof.

6. 3blapcam

3blapcam

The rotobroche(sp?)/Blair would be better because you can use smaller cutters than the default 3/8" cutter that I posted. The spot welds looked kinda small at first glance...

3blap.