Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dirt Tracking in the Bay Area- Vintage Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Incredible photography...I love the one where a back tire has decided to leave it's rim, and you can see the tire, and the roadster running on the back right rim.

Amazing he had a binder chock full of original photos. I marvel at these guys....just our hamber forefathers again doing what came naturally....

3. Amazing pictures. We would LOVE to have a display with pictures like this at our show, July 2:nd. Please hit me up if anyone has any interest in this!

4. K. Thornton

K. Thornton

3rd frame dates some of the pictures as mid 50's vintage. Check out the push trucks. The pictures and action they capture are fantastic.

5. hasty

hasty

Great post! Nice cars, and some fantastic photographs. Car number B2 has a strange mixture of all enveloping bodywork (above the chassis) with a collection of articulate pieces such as oil pan, driver pan and engine bulge. Very nice.

Looking forward to the next instalment!

6. hasty

hasty

By the way, I really enjoyed your post on the casting patterns that you refer to. If you have any more on that I for one would love to see them.

7. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

wow....... thank you!

8. Ted H

Ted H

Looking forward to Chapter 2. I love this old stuff. Thanks!
    Ted H

9. mrenfro

mrenfro
    from Kansas

I hope more and more of this kind of recorded history can be published. Thanks for posting these.

10. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

awesome photos. Thanks for sharing. nice nice stuff.

11. Way kool stuff!

12. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Thank you for taking the time to scan and post these pictures, but more importantly, please, please let your buddy Ron know how much we appreciate his willingness to let you share them with all of us.

13. Jive-Bomber Jay - Unbelievably cool photographs! ... thanks for taking the time to scan them ... and thank Ron for allowing you to share them with us ... I'm eagerly awaiting parts II, III, IV, ... :)

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's always fun to see what you have come up with next and this is right at the top of the pile. thanks for going to the effort for us.

15. autobilly

autobilly

Superb collection!

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, thanks for sharing-and Ron too.
    Photo collections such as this could be the makings of a good Don Montgomery styled book (hint, hint)!

17. Great photos. You mentioned captions, could you share them too?

18. Retroline

Retroline

Priceless,thanks for sharing..

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Fantastic Jay..... uber cool.

20. LongnLow

LongnLow

It's been awhile since I was there, but I think the Soares family is still running a 3/8 dirt track called Petaluma Speedway, and also a cool little 1/4 mile dirt track in Antioch. Spent a lot of saturday nights at both those tracks as a kid watching my dad and uncles race there.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  21. flamingokid

flamingokid

Looking forward to more of this....

22. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

I live in petaluma and raced there who was your dad and uncles mike. LONGANLOW ?

23. Hey Jay! Did you happen to see any pics with the name Jerry Hill on the back of them? He was a dear family friend and mentor who used to race there...

Sam

24. LongnLow

LongnLow

Hey Mike, Dan Furia was my dad. he did a little driving, but mostly wrenched with my Uncle Richard. Dennis and Joe Furia were my uncles and did the driving. Joe raced in the late 50's/early 60's I think(when I was just a little guy and before I was born). Dennis raced my whole life, and was racing modifieds up until a few years ago. unfortunately they've all passed. Except for Uncle Rich, he's still floating around down there. Had alot of fun at those tracks. Definitely the strongest memories from being a kid. -jim

25. kaniksucliff

kaniksucliff

Jive-Bomber, those are some fantastic photos! I grew up in that neighborhood and used to play on that track as a kid. This has revived some fond childhood memories, and I will share this link with some other friends who will also remember. The track was no longer being used at the time and I can remember that walking up the banked corners was impossible, as they had collected a fair amount of dirt since being used.

I would love to see more of these if there are any. I also remember going to the indoor midget races next to the Oakland auditorium during the early fifties. (I think that's when I got hooked on racing fuel)

26. It seems extremely hard to find some of the old drivers, and their cars. We want to make a little exhibition at our show, but everyones whereabouts seems to be the big question!!??