Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rest in Peace Tommy Sparks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I had was first exposed to them in the TRJ article and those four similarly painted Hot rods really struck a nerve with me. The '33-'34 especially since I had just got mine and I have been pining over the early '50's cars that sat kind of high and ran cream wheen as the Sparks and Bonney team did. While I don't have much experience as the most of you with the Tommy Sparks, I can tell you that just those couple pics really got me stoked and it was enough to permanently store them in my memory.

Rest in Peace to another pioneer of our hobby and sport. You truly paved the way and brought us to where we are today. You will be missed.

3. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

He was one of the pioneers in the vintage car movie rental business and always a very nice man to be around

Attached Files:

4. Rest in Peace...thanks for your contributions to our hobby/passion

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

R.I.P. sir. We seem to be loosing more and more of our sgnificant pioneers every day. Time to get to know these guys and learn they're stories before it's too late.

6. 296ardun

296ardun

Never met him, but he is well-known as a leader in so many hot rod areas. I have often wondered if he built the first Willys drag coupe (a fenderless car with a blown flathead), think it ran in the mid-50s. His blown flathead ran around 138 (I think) in Tony Nancy's roadster, phenomenal for the time (still is!), and the Sparks & Bonney team predated lots of other famous racing teams.....another one gone, RIP

7. rick finch

rick finch

R.I.P. Tommy....:(

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the post and the tribute, Jay. Another trailblazer gone, another link in the chain . . . RIP Mr. Sparks.

9. daddio211

daddio211

RIP Tommy, prayers from my family to your family at this difficult time.

Bruce Meyer has a great way with words. Simple yet elegant. And what a great group photo!

10. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Godspeed to Tommy...........

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

Oh yea, is "Steelworks" on the HAMB? It would be great to see some of the pictures from his travels to Tommy's place.

11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Godspeed Tom.

I was fortunate to get to meet him on one of my trips to SoCal several years ago. He gave me the full tour. It was amazing, and he and his wife were very welcoming hosts.

12. Lsparky

Lsparky

I registered for this site simply to thank every one of you for the kind words.. My name is Lacey, and I am Tommy's granddaughter. My family and I, especially my grandmother Laura, cannot believe how well loved he was by so many. It makes this time such easier on all of us to see this awesome support!! I have a lot of photos I can post of the garage and boy oh boy do I have stories! I can contact David, (founder of the steelworks blog and a close family friend) as well. If it wasn't for my grandpa, I wouldn't love cars, and for that I am forever grateful! I know he's up there racing with Tony Nancy right now!

So seriously, again, thank you.

Lacey

13. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Lacey,

So sorry for your loss. We thank you're Grandfather so much for his contributions to our lives.

14. Lacey- You're grandfather was a great man and a huge inspiration to alot of people. I am so sorry to hear of his passing. Our prayers are with you and your family.

When you feel you're ready, I'm sure alot of us here (I for one) would love to see your photos and hear some of those stories.

RIP Tommy

15. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Mr. Sparks was not only my hero , he was the most down to earth nice person you could ever meet . He was so humble and low key , you would almost forget how special he was . Easy going , but so intelligent and with so much history . His is a generation of pioneers that will never be duplicated , only sadly missed .

16. 3pointsmach

3pointsmach

Through my friends Kate and Skip of Tweedy Lake, I had the great privilege to meet Laura and Tom, two months ago in their North Hollywood home. Never have I met more gracious and wonderful people! I was overwhelmed then, and my head is still spinning, from that visit. The man and his history will be sorely missed--. Godspeed Tom!