Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel filter: Before or after the fuel pump??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Aug 22, 2010.

1. I ordered my new carbs from Tom Langdon for my 250 straight six last week. While I was talking to Tom on the phone the topic of fuel filters came up. I mention that I had mine mounted on the frame rail just before the fuel pump. He said having a filter mounted before the fuel pump was a very bad idea and that I was asking for trouble. He explained that the way a fuel pump works that it will cause vapor lock.
    I've ran my car in some very hot weather and have not had any problems. If it aint broke it doesn't need fixin. But.... Could I at some point have problems.
    Where are you guys running your filters? Before or after the fuel pump? Thanks, Todd

2. pitman

pitman

Maybe run a screen before, and a filter after the pump?
    Keep them cowl-tank born rust flakes at bay?

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I prefer to have at least a screen to keep large debris like tank rust out of the fuel pump. If you have a clogged filter before your pump, I suppose you could have issues with vapor lock or fuel starvation, but at least you didn't run a bunch of trash through your pump. :)

4. I have always used Fram G3 filters, before my pumps. I haven't ever had any problems with vapor lock. Kept away from any heat, I don't see how that could cause any problems.

5. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

no probs here -i run them before and after the fuel pump -keeps my holley webers nice and clean

6. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Most of mine have filters before the pump. No problems so far...

7. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

dont think your gonna have a prob with your 6 seeing as the fuel line is on the opposite side of the exhaust manifold

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Mechanical pump on the engine...no pre-filter.
    Electric fuel pusher pump at the rear...a filter to protect the pump.
    It's worked for me for all these years. That's the way the factories did it.

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I always use two filters, one before the pump, one after. I change them everytime I do an oil change. Cheap insurance I guess. Never had a problem mechanical or electrical. I always use the clear plastic Fram fuel filters.

10. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

I've read more than once - suck with a screen - push with paper

11. fleetside66

fleetside66

I have one before & one after...no problems (sbc with a standard mechanical fuel pump).

12. canman

canman

Pressure differential is pressure differential. As long as the system is insulated from heat where the filter is should not matter. In this case atmospheric pressure is pushing the fuel to the pump,the filter is just part of the trip.

13. I'm looking at my Holley Electric Fuel pump instructions and it say's before the pump.

I think I will take Holley's advice...I think they may have some experience in the matter.

14. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

When pressurized, a liquids boiling point is raised, (like a pressure radiator cap).

It only stands to reason that when suction is placed on a liquid, the boiling point is reduced.

Toms point is that a flow restriction imposed by a clogged, overly restrictive, or undersized filter would cause reduced pressure between the pump and the filter and make the car more susceptible to vapor lock.

This may not ever play out in practice for some (or even most) cars, but in some instances I am sure it will ring true, especially with todays gas.

IMO common sense says screen before pump, filter after, another reason for this is that pumps make pressure more effectively than they draw fuel.

(Atmospheric pressure AND displacement apply to pump theory).

15. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Holley is trying to avoid warranty issues created when a piece of debris takes out their vane pump, this is "their problem", vapor lock is YOUR problem... things ain't always as they seem.

Detroit uses a screen before the pump and a filter after, both a blown pump AND vapor lock issues are "their problem" under warranty.

16. I have always run a filter before and after the pump , mechanical or electric , in addition to a manual electrical cut off for the electrical pump , Mainly for saftey in case of a mishap or accident and it also works secondly as an anti-theft device, thief can't go far on a carb bowl of fuel.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Most cars have a sock filter in the tank to take care of the big stuff. If I'm building a project I always replace this "sock" filter. Then if I'm running an electic pump I install a high flow filter BEFORE the pump and a high flow inline after the mechanical pump/ before the carb/s. On a drag car use one of the large capacity Fram filters right out of the tank and before the electric pump.

Frank

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Carter also voids the warranty on their electric pumps without a filter before pump. I've set mine up with an AFCO stainless prefilter capable of handling race cars on methanol, 100 GPH @100 micron, then carter pump, then Fram HP-1 with replaceable paper pack filter, 90 GP @ 5 microns,then Holley pressure regulator, and then 2-500cfm Edelbrock 4bbls.
    Holley

19. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I bought a small 12 Volt Carter replacement electric fuel pump from Car Quest a few years back. Sort of a universal fit type. 5 or 6 pounds of pressure. It had a small fuel filter built into the pump. It was on the side the fuel entered. They sold replacements for the filter also. I replaced the filter about every 4 or 5 thousand miles ... because I had a 60 year old fuel tank that to my knowledge had NEVER been out of the vehicle.

Never had a problem ... :D

I also had a small A/C brand fuel filter at the carb.

20. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I've always run a filter before the pump, and generally one before the carb too. I have a Holley Blue mounted next to the tank, and a Fram canister style filter before it, then an in-line filter under the hood. Been thousands of thousands of miles with no fuel delivery issues with that configuration

21. Mount it before the pump. No pressure on the filter with a small inline filter befor the carb.

22. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I put a filter before and after the pump. Mechanical pump Chevrolet 350.

48 Poncho

23. carbking

carbking

When we used to sell Carter electric fuel pumps, the pumps came from the factory with a short piece of hose and an inline filter on the INLET side of the pump.

Jon.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those Fram canister types are easy on fuel flow and have a good sized cleaning volume. More volume = less flow problems. If you can gravity-feed the filter all the better. Always a small one on the carb side. Inline broze filters are nice too. Get big ones for hi perf systems and again gravity-feed and easier to hide.

25. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

If you had a filter before the pump and it got clogged could it cause the fuel pump to become starved for fuel and damage it?

I can understand a screen before it but I would think you would want your filter after it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  26. ironpile

ironpile

Wouldn`t the engine quit running and prevent damage?

27. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

All the crap from your tank getting ground up and run through the pump will cause damage to it, hence the filter before it. If the filter is so clogged as to prevent all flow through it, the engine will die soon thereafter

28. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

I was thinking electric fuel pump that would continue to run similar to newer vehicles with an electric pump in the tank with a screen and then a filter after it my mistake.

What is everyone putting in their tank other than fuel to get so much "crap"?