Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowered 60-66 chevy truck pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Onelow34, May 26, 2010.

1. Onelow34

Onelow34

I recently purchased a 63 shortbed and wanting to lower it but don't really know how much to go! I am not going to do bags or notch the frame, so is there anyone that can show me some pics of some lowered and identify how much you have lowered it? I really appreciate it guys! :D

2. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

3. Onelow34

Onelow34

thanks for the link, I have already read all 51 pages!

4. Onelow34

Onelow34

5. ratster

ratster

i lowered this truck by using 79 gmc rear-end and leaf-springs, also used the from suspension from the gmc, it has 2" drop spindles. complete bolt on job, no welding and you get disc brakes up front

[​IMG]

6. MXmaniac

MXmaniac
    from Denton, TX

Here's my '64, but it's kind of hard to use as a reference because it doesn't have a bed yet. The second picture should be a good reference though, parked next to my stock-height '69 C-20.

In the front I stepped the lower control arms 1.5" and installed 3" drop springs (total of about 5" drop). In the rear I have manual-fill airbags and notched the frame 2", so it's essentially an adjustable static drop in the rear so I can't give you a number for how many inches lower it is.

Attached Files:

7. Onelow34

Onelow34

I was thinking about buying one of those full kits with the 2 1/2 drop spindles but not for sure if it will be low enough! I am also wanting to use this truck as a daily so I have the idea in my head, I just would like to see it on someones truck. both you guys have nice lookin trucks by the way

8. sir

sir

...not "slammed" but nice....

Attached Files:

9. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

There is a "static drop" thread on the truck board.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=328048

From my research- cutting one coil will drop the front ~ 3". (and ride better than drop springs)

Jeep coils will lower the rear ~ 4" but are softer than stock. Rears are 'pigtailed' so cant cut- GM car springs also fit- guess the right one! 5" rear is frame notch territory.
    You can also make blocks for rear, just need u bolts and hunk of metal.

David

10. kustomd

kustomd

you can cut the rear springs. Ive cut down several. Just cut the spring from the bottom up and leave the top bolted to the frame. Been doing it for years on these trucks.

11. Barn-core

Barn-core

I've got 6" springs in the back of my '64 without a notch, just removed the bump stops. The rear rides nice, but I'd like to do a notch and two inch blocks to bring it down a little more. The front I have no clue, but it's too much, bottoms out all the time. I've got some 3/4 ton springs I cut two coils out of which should improve the ride, and will probably raise the front a little from where it is now. If it levels out then I probably won't mess with going any lower in the back. The link Astrochimp posted should answer almost all of your questions though.

Attached Files:

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

This was my old '63.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back was Jeep TJ coils with 4" blocks. I cut the bumpstop in half and had maybe 2" of travel. I never really hauled anything, but it never hit in the back. You can get the Jeep springs from 4x4 shops as take offs from lift jobs for around $25. The blocks you can make yourself out of 4" square tube for next to nothing. Have new ubolts made at a big truck shop or spring shop for less than $50. Cheap and easy.

The front had 2 coils cut out of the front. It looked great but had next to no travel. It rode ok, but hit at big bumps. I had another set of lower control arms with the bumpstop brackets shaved off that would've given it 3" or 4" more travel. That would've been plenty and you probably could've gone a little lower with even shorter but stiffer coils. I didn't get a chance to put them on before I sold it. All that is pretty much free.

That was plenty low, but not too low for every day driving. Speed bumps weren't a problem, but just barely. It looked good (I think). Much lower than that and it starts getting more complicated with notches, cutting inner fenders, worrying about the crossmember being so low, alignment issues and stuff like that.

13. That stance is perfect IMO. Pretty much exactly what I'm looking to do with my 63 suburban. Lots of good info there too, thanks. :)

14. mattlowe

mattlowe

i
    my 65, i cut 2 coils from both front and rear, just needs smaller wheels and tires now.
    rides pretty bumpy, but its an ol truck so i dont mind.

[​IMG]

15. Onelow34

Onelow34

truck looks good man. I ended up finding a full tubular control arm 3/4 drop kit on craigslist for $400 bucks, and never been put on and had a price tag of $1275 still on it. Im glad i got lucky and found a deal

16. tmr2581

tmr2581
    from 20112

[/attach][/attach]

Attached Files:

17. tmr2581

tmr2581
    from 20112

I'm trying to get my jaw off the floor...never have I seen so may beautiful trucks in one spot...whoa...
    I built this truck a few years ago. I used 2.5" drop spindles/disc brake conv. up front and 3" drop coils for rear. Now I wanna go a little lower...thinking 2" more all around...also want to shorten wheel base and tub...

Words of wisdom?????