Register now to get rid of these ads!

motorcycle gas tank sight tube?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by james, Jan 1, 2005.

1. james

james

I have a bad memory regarding gassing up, and want to add a clear "sight tube" the the side of my tank. Anyone know who sells them?

2. hatch

hatch
    from house

Make one with brass fittings, and clear fuel line. Gonna need some bungs welded in the tank....after tank is steamed.

3. Might try McMaster Carr

4. atch

atch

i'd suggest that you use a flexible tube when making this. tygon or such. won't look as purdy as glass, but a stray rock or june bug won't break it and leave you awash in gasoline.

and please show us pix when it's done...

5. lakesmod

lakesmod

Attached Files:

6. lakesmod

lakesmod

Attached Files:

7. lakesmod

lakesmod

Attached Files:

8. lilbill

lilbill
    from arkansas

I just repaired a level tube on a moon tank in a sandrail. It used the hardware and 8" of plastic tube from a refrigerator ice maker hookup. The tubing is not really clear but it is translucent enough to see the gas inside. It's all 1/8" stuff too so it's pretty compact.

9. Hellbilly_Buzzard

Hellbilly_Buzzard

One important thing about doing this, you need to make sure you have a pressure release (vent hole) in the gas cap (highest point of the tank). If not you will not get a correct reading. If you do not have the line return back into the tank, the top of the gauge needs to be higher than the tank and vent holed holed at the top also.

10. james

james

Cool, thanks for all the replies. The tank that's on the bike will stay for a while (at least until it's rideable) then I may try my hand at making my own, that's when I'll do this. Thanks!