Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick Stupid Question! Transporting an Air Compressor! Advice please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

All right, I've finally squirreled away enough to buy my very first air compressor. Found one on craigs in my price range. It's an Ingersol Rand that looks to be older so I think it will avoid the motor problems Bass and others have had.

It looks to be an 80 gallon vertical unit. But here's my question. How do I transport it? Is it okay to lay it on its side or does it need to stay upright?

How heavy are these things? Will two dudes be able to lift it into my truck or do I need to bring more help?

I've been salivating over my own compressor for years, and now that it might become a reality, I don't even know how much one of these things weighs or how to move it.:eek:

I appreciate your advice before I call the guy and make an offer he can't refuse.

Thanks for answering my stupid questions!:D

2. Two can lift it after seeing pics of you. 3 makes it easier. I would bolt it to a small pallet, that is how the factory ships em. If you lay it down it may leak oil so make sure the level is right before running.

3. Kramer

Kramer

I would use caution about laying it on it's side. The tank doesn't care. But the compressor itself could. The oil in the compressor could leak into a cylinder if the rings are not tight. Might anyway even with good rings as there will be some gap for sure on a cold ring. I would do my best to transport in the upright position. My two cents worth.

4. Gigantor

Gigantor

HAHAHA!!! Thanks TMan and Kramer for the sage advice.
    Looks like the truck cap is coming off... no need to risk fucking it up in transport.

Knew you guys would come through. Gonna go make that call now.

5. Also, they can be a bitch to tie down. I have hauled 2 a 60 and an 80. Worked best to put it in the middle of the bed and strap to all 4 corners. Bring plenty of straps. If it is an older truck I would also think abotu running bolts through the feet holes into the floor, use BIG washers.

6. afan

afan
    from michigan

like thoes guys said ,bolt it to a pallet then starp to the pallet then starp it to the trailer or pickup sides.i tipped one over one time and a good friend and i had a heck of a time gettimg it back upright. not heavy just awkward. good luck.

7. R Pope

R Pope

You can lay it down if you drain the oil first.

8. Gigantor

Gigantor

I just got off the phone with Steve after enlisting his help and he suggested the same thing.

These things definitely sound like a pain in the ass to move safely and securely. Glad I asked.

9. That bugger will be really tall in the upright position.I transported mine laying down.I treated it like a refrigerator.I left it upright for 24 hours after I got it home before I connected it up so that the oil would drain back down.Then check the oil again before running it.

10. Black Primer

Black Primer

Just my opinion, but I'd lay it down. Those things are top heavy as hell. Did you read the post yesterday about the dude that lost a model a cab out the back of his truck? Hit by some cars following him. Lucky nobody got killed.

It probably needs the oil changed anyway.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Worst thing is it's so damned top-heavy. Take that into account when moving. Be careful.

12. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks guys... looks like laying it down is a good idea... so is changing the oil!
    I'm so excited I think I peed a little.... I've wanted a compressor for so long...

13. Fat47

Fat47

Kramer is right. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT lay it down, unless you drain the oil. And even then you run the risk of having oil run through into the air chambers. You will never get the oil residue out of the air line.

You can transport them in a verticle stance. As TMAN said, bring plenty of straps and tie it down to all 4 corners of the bed, or better yet bolt it to a pallet and then strap it down. Drive slow and watch the corners.

14. Soviet

Soviet

You could always just rip the compressor head off when you get there, and lay the rest of it down.

Shouldn't be more than 8 bolts.

15. Gigantor

Gigantor

ugghhh... so much for a consensus! ;)

I hadn't considered the risk of getting oil in the lines. That would be retarded.

16. junkmonger

junkmonger

I'd drain the oil and lay it down. It's WAY too top-heavy to transport upright for no good reason. It'll be fine if you drain it first.

17. Stand it up and strap down the top with 4 corners, now do the same 4 corners on the bottom, think about it, 8 points, it shouldn't move.

Just watch your speed and distance, you'll do fine.

18. llonning

llonning

I transported one like that last year. I stood it up in the bed of the truck, ran 4 tie downs from all 4 corners of the bed, then I ran 4 more in a not quite vertical angle. It didn't move, even being as top heavy as they are. Drove 30 miles with it like that. I hate laying things like that down.

19. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Move it any way you like, just be careful of the pressure switch, valves, tubes, etc. if you lay it down.

If oil gets past the rings so what, it's not like it will hydro-lock, it does not have a "compression stroke" like an engine.

I had an old Ingersoll Rand compressor from the early 80s, it lasted for a long time. Here is a picture of it after I "rebuilt" it for my son, not a lot of IR left..... :D

[​IMG]

If your compressor is like how mine USED to be, (5hp) it really is not that heavy, the compressor pump was aluminum, and CONSIDERABLY lighter than the cast iron pump that is on there now..

Incidentally, I shipped it to NM standing up lag bolted to a skid.....

20. evintho

evintho

Sounds kinda like mine, 80 gal 5 hp IR.

[​IMG]

It came on the pallet you see. They loaded into my 1/2 ton pickup with a forklift. I stood it up vertical, in the center of the bed, resting against the back of the bed. I used 4 nylon ratcheting tiedowns and ran them to the metal tiedown cleats on the outside of my bed. Drove 60 miles without incident. Unloaded it with my engine hoist.

21. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks for all the advice and that last pic. If the pallet base I build is that much wider than the compressor, that changes things considerably.