Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass or steel body on a period gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GOATROPER02, Jan 29, 2009.

1. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

At least somebody is still interested in building Oldsmobiles!!! Thanks Goatroper02

3. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

if it's your car do whatever you want with it. there was a rusted 41, i think, on here with a 50,000 dollar pricetag. whata waste of money. if i could build a whole glass one for the amount of money a steel body costs i would certainly do it. if some knucklehead doesn't like it tell him to get his own car

whats all this period junk anyway. if it wasn't built back then, it's always a fake.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  4. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have had both glass and steel. I always wanted a steel car so after 5 years of searching i found one. They aren't that easy to find. I built my gasser to basically drive on the streets. I don't want to race it because it's too valuable and parts are hard to come by and very expensive if you can find them at all. With the fiberglass car i never worried parts are only a phone call away and their not that expensive. So i now have a steel car that i'm always worried something will happen to and before i had a glass car that i drove everywhere and drove it hard with no worries. So i guess it's all a matter of what you want to do with it. The glass car was a very nice car that was featured in a few magazines but i'm very happy to now own a steel one. If i was going to build a car to race it would be glass. I don't have a problem with glass. It's all in what you can find and afford. Either way your riding.

5. Fossil

Fossil

The very beginning of this thread was about a glass vs. steel gasser...33 Willys if I remember correctly. Well, by the end of the period...they were running glass bodied 33's...Merkel's, KS, Prock/Howell and others. Some were even flip tops. So if you are building a period correct gasser, especially a 33 willys...glass in my opinion would be perfectly appropritate. Look at the 33's that Rocky Pirrone's built., Glass...and perfect.

-Scott

6. your not too far from me.....make it glass and come out and play!

7. Weasel

Weasel

Vintage historied 'glass Willys race car belongs to Ftroop here on the HAMB - any questions????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

yeah, nice car, but not worth much cause it's glass:D:D:D

9. moparron426

moparron426

Yeah that willys is just one of those glass cars, it must not be real, you know "steel is real", I 'd love to have that not real car :D:cool::D Ron....

10. MyStr8Axle

MyStr8Axle
    from Cleveland

1) I have ALWAYS preferred steel cars
    2) Fiberglass gassers have been period correct since drag racing was started - many of the cars raced were reproduced in fiberglass in the early 1960's
    3) As Tony mentioned, look at this link of the Rebel Reaper - then do a Google search to see his final graphics:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113087
    Very period correct looking gasser that is less than 2 years old. First saw this car up close at Detroit Autorama then a couple of months later charging hard down the 1/4 mile. I enjoy watching this car run hard with its AMC engine at Thompson, OH.
    4) Race cars get damaged - roundy round or straight, they just do, fiberglass is cheaper to repair.

Period correct is relative - depends on what you want in a car. We build a lot of street/strip gassers and have some customers building reproductions of their steel cars so they don't tear them up. I deal a lot with old school and period correct customers who are building fiberglass due to cost. Just sold a gasser to a drag racer who has raced for 45 years.

My $.02 for what its worth

11. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

"fake" cars are like "fake" tits... If they look good ,and I can touch them, then they're real enough for me!!!

12. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Excellent analogy.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Fiberglass bodies are SOOOoooo non-trad. If it's fiberglass, it's gay!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If these guys had built steel cars, they would have been slow. My opinion is apparently contrary to most here - I think that REAL competitors only use steel if required by the rules.

14. i agree that glass is fine for a period gasser - but the photos you showed are Altered's and a Funny Car.

15. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

True. I was just making a point about fiberglass cars in general. They are very much "traditional" and fiberglass was preferred to steel anytime it was class-legal.

17. :D just busting your balls a little :D

18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

19. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Wouldnt it be something to see a ALL METAL CORVETTE.. as apposed to Fibreglass. :D..

20. has anyone got a picture of that duck looking in the aeroplane window,pretty much saying,your joking,right??I mean I must have the wrong number,partner

21. hemi

hemi

I think it is more important to use the right parts and stay within a set of guidelines for the build than to worry about the material of the body. Attention to detail and some research is what it is all about.

Will it be a history car? No. Will it be a "real" car? No... Will I care? No.

Build what you want, just make sure it makes sense... (parts, era, theme, etc..)

Some "steel snobs" have very, very ugly and confused cars, I'd rather a glass car that was "right" any day...

22. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Amen.

23. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Here is my .02 since I go way out of my way to own only steel cars. If you are building a new race car then you should build a new glass car, If your restoring an old race car then it should be just as it was, glass or steel or half and half, its a restoration. If its a recreation then its up to you the builder/owner. if your a purist then it has to be real steel. What burns my ass is when I spend years collecting and searching out all the hard to find original parts to make my Willys all Willys and go to a car show and a guy tells me he has a car just like mine and its a glass car I just want to say, tell me which one part of your Willys is a Willys? And why does a glass Willys bring as much as a steel one or close to it? That would never happen in the Cobra world! Steel is real and glass make me itch! Bottom line is we all have different views and you need to thank God for that, can you amagine this world if we all thought the same!:eek:

24. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

You nailed it . Very well said ! ......AMEN!!!!!!!!

25. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Here's two cars that I built tribute/replicas of. (both originals were destroyed in wrecks) Both are from the 60's both were built with glass bodies. Would it have been correct to build them out of steel bodies? I don't think so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

you mean they never made a real Vette? :confused:

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

Here it is. :D :D

The '57 Corvette SS XP64.

Magnesium alloy body.

( with Duntov behind the wheel...:))

sebringss3.jpg

ss1.jpg

28. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Okay.. so there was one.. :) ..

How about a VW Beetle with a 40 Ford Fibreglass front end..??:D

29. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rocky "Boss Hydro" - GOING to March Meet or CHRR Show this year?

Dave and I are Flying into LAX.

Doug

30. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Doesn't look, too many projects going on and too little cash to travel too...!
    The CHRR isn't out of the question yet..... Have fun at the March Meet...!