Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass or steel body on a period gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GOATROPER02, Jan 29, 2009.

1. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I think the question should be asked, can you find a steel 33 body??? Is it even a option???

I know a bunch of willys guys, the live and die for them, it like a secret society they live in.. One of them just sold a junk steel 33 coupe for 7K... For 7K you don;t get much other than a shell and 2 doors.... This thing was rolled down a hill 30 years ago and it looked like the Jolley Green Giant stepped on it...

I don't give a shit if it is glass or steel, it's how it's built. Take a real 32 ford and give it to the wrong guy and he's gonna' destroy it. Then give a glass 32 to a guy who knows what a traditional hot rod should look like and he'll do a glass car justice...

So if your at a show and see a really nice 32 roadster will the right stance and the right look the right color and interior your not gonna' like it because it's glass...????

2. :cool:For the real "balls out" guys I can see weight saving is a major issue,and as others mention on this thread, from a distance you cannot tell,but there is something cool about saving an ugly duckling car from the scrap,making it look the nuts and run with the big dogs.It probably sways my judgement that I actually prefer a bit of battle scars on a rod or gasser:D

3. oddrodd

oddrodd
    from Michigan

That's why it shouldn't matter. My choice is steel. If nobody liked glass bodies, nobody would make them.

4. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I am going out on a limb and risk being slammed, but anyone that does not like your car because it is glass is in the wrong hobby. They need to go to Pebble Beach and do a Rolls.

On the subject of a Willys...they did not make that many in the first place and if you think 32's are too high go look at what 30 grand will get you as a start for a Willys...not much or anything. The junk sells for even higher. You want to talk about a car that everyone likes but most will never be able to build unless it is glass...that is the Willys.

They are not like a 55 chevy, a car many love (including me) that even today you can get a decent deal on.

5. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i have no problem with a glass car. especially a race car.and its not like those steel willys coupes are easy to find or afford

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

So then it matters.

If it didnt you'd be just as happy with one out of Balsa Wood or Paper Mache...

Its a major decission that affects everything about the build.
    Price, build methodes, and how to take care of it once its done.

7. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Thought I'd throw in another glass Fiat for the hell of it.:D

Attached Files:

8. yep,but it looks like you had to have a steel one :rolleyes:

9. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

In my opinion either is fine. I got lucky and stumbled on my steel bodied car, but if it was fiberglass when I found it that would be O.K. also. They both serve the same purpose. Enjoyment!

10. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is Glass too, used to think there is a difference, but any more a nice glass car can be a whole lotta more fun,.....for a lot less $$$$.

Mine is a Vintage Circa 1967 Contemporary Glass Thames, less of these that the orignal steel bodies. It was designed to be a flip top gasser. ................gets more looks than all the Camaros, Chevelles, and others i have owned.............been in a
    magazine...and not even finished..........

[​IMG]

11. Bitchen. Looks like the motor is back quite a bit

12. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah.... Engine damper is 4 " behind front axel, 90" wheel base, before the doghouse was installed I could put my foot on the left cylinder head. The wt balance is 54% Rear; 46% Front @ 2240lbs...............haven't had time to get to track with my crazy work schedule. Had to build chassis from scratch, started with a shell.

13. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Steel car that made the mold for mine is in FRESNO, I bought the orignal chassis out of that car, a 1965 ET Auto Part Gasser....kinda cool has a narrowed Olds in it.....Chuck Finders that was not common in gasser days......got the picture with the frame.

14. why didn't you use that chassis instead of building one ?

15. madjack

madjack

You asked so ... COOL is COOL and I don't care what it's made from
    I race hard and often. I've torn up steel and broken plastic. My MONEY is on the glass for real race stuff and steel for the street. It's your money go with what suits you

16. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well ..................we could not find anything about the history for 2 years after I started. Nobody knew the car in Midwest so I went to the California Hot Rod Reunion with a book filled with photos.

The Gasser Wars Magazine Team & Mr. Austin- Rob Stuart & Dean Kirsten of Anglia Obsolete were a wealth of information. They called a bunch of people to look at the photos, and names started to appear. Ended up finding 3 different un-related people that worked at Contemporary at the time they were making bodies. Went and looked at the Steel Car the Last Day of the race, and saw the chassis, was interested, 3 years later got a call, come and get it if you want it for a great price.

I figure to run it now, have some fun with it, then possibly put the Thames chassis back under it.... when I street it......................Possibly go to Willy's Home Run..........Thompson if it does not rain again. Car is getting pretty good at the rain part. Drove in it for 8 hrs going back to illinois after that last Ohio trip.

Here is the heap as found, was in a Delivery Truck Body for > 20 years

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  17. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the KING KONG Chassis with SOHC Ford. This required a longer front end.

[​IMG]

18. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Here is a pic of my dad's FAKE Bantam A/ Fuel Altered, circa 1969. Funny how different cliques consider different things fake-

Our clique considered anything that didn't burn nitro, didn't go 200, or had doors fake...

but, we were wrong :)

altrd1.jpg

19. racer756

racer756

Tony check your PM's

20. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Glass fenders is one thing but glass body , NO NO NO !

Remember , " If it ain't steel , it ain't real " !

BUT IT'S YOUR CAR , SO DO WHAT YOU WANT TO IT !!

21. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Very well said Matt.:cool:

22. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Groucho, that 32, weather steel or glass is one bithcin car in my eyes. Doesn't matter what the body is made of in my eyes as long as you do it right for whatever build style you chose.:eek:

23. How many corncobs here act like they weren't? Too many.

Yes, they were doing glass bodies back in the 60's. The quality wasn't as good as todays bodies, but then does that mean you should build a shitty bodied gasser to be "PERIOD CORRECT"?

Promote the hobby, save the steel. Have fun, let the anal, Period Correct, Rent-a-cops who were really not busting ass on the cold hard ground bitch about it. They are truly small in number.

24. metalshapes

metalshapes

Seems to me this discussion has shifted from Period Gassers to Street Cars, with all the same tired old arguments...

My Roadster.
    Steel.
    327 SBC 006.jpg

Mallock.
    Mostly Aluminum body, with a glass nose.
    4 Webers 034.jpg

Jasag
    Mostly glass ( once the new fenders are on...)
    scan0016.JPG Model A Dash 016.jpg

All the body materials on these cars are what they are for a reason...

25. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

i suspect you are really asking if your potential customers would be turned off by a glass body on your shop car. I don't think they would. I think whether or not it was well done would matter way more than what the body was made of.

I really would rather see cars that are raced have glass bodies. Leave the rare and irreplaceable steel for museum pieces. I saw an exhibition 41 Willys owned by a well known racer go on it's head a number of years ago at maple grove on it's debut run and slide through the traps on it's roof. Steel body. I think it was repaired, but it easily could have been made junk. I thought it was unfortunate to allow that to happen to steel, myself.

Racers didn't pick them because they were cool, they picked them because they worked and they were CHEAP. What's traditional about starting with a $30K piece of sheetmetal that was originally chosen in part because it was $100 and had no dents in it, and was capable of being driven home? If it was wrecked, you went and drove another one home and started over. Are we restorers or racers/rodders? Demanding absolute authenticity is for AACA judges. :(

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

I am a Restorer, a Racer, and a Hot Rodder.

I see absolutely no conflict in any of that...

27. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

I am as well, and I give each it's appropriate due. Demanding that a newly built vehicle conform to an onlooker's expectations seems out of place when you call it a hot rod. If it's a recreation, a restoration, or an homage, then probably not.

28. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

Id definantly go glass. Its still a fucking car thats pretty much the same. Think of all the bantam drag cars from the 60s made from glass. And you can find another glass body if you stuff it in the wall alot easier than a steel one.

29. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Pic (Bantam Altereds were wicked - nothing fake about that. I think the fake B/S is from groups that want to create this "false sense' of value to their rusting hulks............at the end of the day, if you are not older than 40yrs/old you cannot even say you ever saw then win class or place these cars, as they were already stuffed in the sheds.

Most cannot remember windows filled with "class winner" decals, what did that mean? Those were the cars to watch, as they won the trophy for the class, then you ran off for eliminator title. The rest "went home on the trailer"......

Bracket Racing (boring).................ended the competitive class racing for smaller tracks. No more class winner.........