Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass or steel body on a period gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GOATROPER02, Jan 29, 2009.

1. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

What is the feeling if you saw a period gasser,33willys/anglia but the body was glass instead of steel?
    Do you turn your nose up?
    Is the car now fake?
    I will be involved with a build with a friend soon,he says steel because everything he does he tries to be"proper"
    I say glass because of expense and also when this car is built we will play with it hard
    It is racing and you can destroy stuff
    Bad enough to wall rash a glass car and I'd hate to see steel get mashed

Thanks for the input
    Tony

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

I like steel because it is real. Not light as fiberglass for racing, but real.

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Is it your car?

4. helmsville

helmsville

glass suck's, fender's ok but i draw the line when it come's to the body. JUST SAY NO TO GLASS!

5. This subject has been beat to death,,,try the search button,,,HRP

6. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

my opinion,racing is gloves off...glass has been on the track all my car life.i smell octane and the glass itch doesn't bother me.

7. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

1/2 mine

8. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Nothing like driving a car that was built by Americans of a bygone era, some how they live on! But it is 2009, so steel cars are harder for average folks to afford...me personally, would not build/buy/own a fiberglass car but to each their own!

9. Tony

Tony

I have seen period looking Gasser cars that were built using glass bodies..and if they are done right, look right and haul ass it dosn't matter to me one bit. Turning my nose up to them would be childish in my opinion, especially if i didn't have my own :D
    A PERFECT example of a glass car that is right on every level, and ran HARD is Don Moyers "Rebel Reaper" Willys......
    Seen it run and was so impressed with the car i didn't even realize it was glass at first.......i just realized it was NICE.

Just my 2 cents :)
    Tony

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Good luck. I was partner with my brother on a 29 model A. Right up fromt it was apparent that we didn't see things the same. We dissolved the (car)partnership before our disagreements on how to proceed came to blows! :D Kep[t our friendship intact. He restored the car, I go visit him and drive it anytime I want. Didn't cost me a cent.:cool:

11. Listen very careully to 29nash, as usual he is right on target.

12. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Watch the 1/2 mine deal, it can get ugly. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

13. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

My car is a steel version. A friend has the first glass car made from the mold off of mine. I rode in his car this past summer and in my opinion it was as cool as hell. It didn't matter to me it wasn't steel, the thrill and accelleration all felt the same. Alot of the gassers that are out there are glass and at times it is not easy to tell the difference. His build time was probably half the time involved do to no rust issues or metal work. He has already been to some gasser events and been featured in Gasser Wars Magazine. I'm still buiding my chasis. Just do what feels right to you.:)

Attached Files:

14. brandon

brandon

they were doing glass bodies back in the day....i'm looking for a glass a roadster to build a drag car out of....because brookville is a little high to be cutting and hacking on to go and beat on....money is money , and thats the bottom line ....get the most for yours.... :D

15. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I dislike glass cars .I would rather walk than build or drive a fake car .If I cannot afford steal I just wait .My last 2 cents

16. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Know what your saying about the 1/2 thing and yeh long ago I got that shirt also and wouldnt do it again
    The cause is usally cash

This case is different money is not the issue, its going to be a purpose built car to take to events to showcase Our vintage Olds engines/parts and trans adaptors
    And have a little fun
    Body style needs to be proper as far as engine style is concerned
    I was thinking 33willys/anglia because of car size and there are companys
    making them in glass
    With our time limits I didnt want to start with a body that was rotted to the windows
    Body style hasnt been decided yet it just needs to fit with the 371 Olds powerplant theme
    Our vintage Olds line of parts and complete engines and trans are the real deal and the focuse of the project

Dont mean to piss off some for not doing a search[I do search all the time]Ive spent most of my life circle track racing ,but the last few years I taken a real liking to this board and an interest in all types of hotrods
    Some of you have gotten Olds parts and or advise from me and I hope ALL where happy.
    I also have some big new items finished,And are in the process of testing now

All that said does glass make a period car fake?

Thanks guys ,and I know my typing sucks .....sorry

Tony

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

"All that said does glass make a period car fake?"

Of course its fake...unless its a Corvette

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

19. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

just build it.....

20. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Build a glass car and beat the hell out of it doesn't matter they can bitch its glass all they want if they can beat ya! But my car is steel so it don't matter to me as long as its not passed off as a barnfind gasser and its known its built with glass its cool by me!

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Not at all.

22. moparron426

moparron426

It doesn't bother me, steel or glass.
    good luck finding a nice steel 33 or 40 willys at a reasonable price
    even the anglia's and austin's are getting hard to find
    and expensive.:eek:
    I had this thames many,many years ago and it was glass body, I would love to have it now :D:cool:
    it was a gasser back around 1971 and even won "best appearing car" at the winter nats
    before I bought it... Ron...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Larry T

Larry T

Real Gassers?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

thanks for posting King Kong. I was looking for pictures of it to use for this thread. I couldn't find them. They ran fiberglass then, why not run it now. Looks real to me.:cool:

25. I am so sick of the morons that say glass is fake etc. It's really old and been beat to death here. Especially when it comes to race cars. My Anglia is steel and the body was used to make a mold, and then a chopped mold, back in the day. This is one of the cars that used one of those body's and was a 2 time BB/GS points champion and pretty famous.
    [​IMG]

26. moparron426

moparron426

Man I wish I had back some of my old stuff :(:cool: Ron...

27. Serious racers have always used lightwieght bodies,
    fibreglass has been around a long time, and before that Aluminum was favoured,
    a steel body on a 'race' car would be about as 'Fake' as one could get.

28. steel--glass......this is the worst waste of space here on the Hamb...i won't drive it i'ld walk...if it ain't steel it ain't real....i guess it's just how i see it...i started out glass...steel body fell on my head before i ordered a glass body..about 4 days before ..got really lucky cause it cost me half as much..up front...(thanks again my friend for pointing me to my body!!).a race car in steel if it ain't historical would be stupid..cut this off cut that off to save weight..glass race weight body is lighter right out of the gate...i build a glass topolino, ya still gonna tell me it's not a topolino??????????? what the fuck, ya blind?????????or just to un-educated to know what a topolino is?????
    cutting up a good steel body to make a "new" race car...ok...sure....seems to me that the "pure-ists just seem to have too much money to spend....
    build whatever ya want, it's your money...

29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

race car=glass
    real street car=steel
    pretend real street car=glass

real fun=all of the above

30. bucs012

bucs012
    from Iowa

Make the way you want! I would rather see a guy with a fiberglass car enjoying the hobby than a guy who "wait's till he can afforce steel" and that day never comes. Life is too short.

After all.....Is a steel body that has been cut or modified a "real" car?